Superconferences | The Boneyard

Superconferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know this is probably 4-5 years away from happening but who would have predicted RU and MD to the B1G before this season started?

So my question is....if they go to 4 sixteen team superconferences, do they kick some teams out? Does the SEC say goodbye to a Vandy or Kentucky and hello to FSU or VTech? Does the B1G say goodbye Purdue and hello ND? At some point you need to cut off the dead weight and build the best conference available to get the most revenue.

Just something I've been thinking about. We always say that it must be nice to be one of the bottom feeders and have stability. Do those teams get the boot? Heck, does UConn make the 64 team cut?

For now I just want a way out of the current mess for us!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Unfortunately geography makes UConn a bit of an outlier. Best way to get the attention of the super conferences is to win in football, sellout games and travel well as a fanbase.

I doubt school presidents would ever kickout a school. If they do, ACC would be wise to get rid of Wake, BC, Pitt and SU pronto. Suddenly they become a far better football league - addition by subtraction.

Reaction Score
Has a school ever been kicked out of a conference other than Temple? It certainly won't be Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I do not think you will see conferences kick teams out. i think it is far more likely that the best teams in each conference leave and form their own, 20 or so team nationwide superleague.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I do not think you will see conferences kick teams out. i think it is far more likely that the best teams in each conference leave and form their own, 20 or so team nationwide superleague.

I could see this but I think it will be more like 32 teams. Similar to the NFL. Almost like a minor league without those "silly academic rules" to follow! :confused:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If there are 124 FBS teams, how are 64 (or fewer) teams going to break away, effectively leaving 60 teams orphaned, without drawing antitrust scrutiny? All those colleges have spent money to get FBS status. I don't see how 60 teams (or more) are going to be marginalized because the bigger teams decided they want all the money for themselves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If there are 124 FBS teams, how are 64 (or fewer) teams going to break away, effectively leaving 60 teams orphaned, without drawing antitrust scrutiny? All those colleges have spent money to get FBS status. I don't see how 60 teams (or more) are going to be marginalized because the bigger teams decided they want all the money for themselves.

Agreed. There is a line which the big boys cannot cross without losing all the power, control and money they have earned thus far. Congress could easily step in and wipe out many of their advantages. Hence the definite path to a championship for every team under the new playoff, and the mandatory slot in the big money bows for at least one team from the outcast conferences. Likewise, if they turn on their own, whether ACC or Big XII, they add strength to those currently on the outside looking in. 5 conferences of 16 can probably pull this off, since those left out lack much pull.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
5x16 would work but there would have to be a path for the other 40+ schools to have a chance

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
All the public schools should break off leaving all the private schools behind. Bye bye BC. Bye bye Cuse. That may eliminate congressional inquiry since public institutions aren't being harmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom