super way OT - selling jewelry | The Boneyard

super way OT - selling jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My dad has a cocktail ring he bought in 1980 as an investment (why anyone would do that is beyond me). Anyway, he wants to sell it and has some weird idea that I can sell a ring worth at least 10k (replacement value is double that) on ebay. I keep trying to tell him there's no way anyone is going to spend that much from someone who's never sold anything siginficant on Ebay. Also, I'm not interested in sending someone the ring and having them sue me saying it was rock candy or something.

Does anyone know a good way to sell something like this without being jacked by a jeweler who offers something ridiculous like 5k?

Reaction Score
images

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My dad has a cocktail ring he bought in 1980 as an investment (why anyone would do that is beyond me). Anyway, he wants to sell it and has some weird idea that I can sell a ring worth at least 10k (replacement value is double that) on ebay. I keep trying to tell him there's no way anyone is going to spend that much from someone who's never sold anything siginficant on Ebay. Also, I'm not interested in sending someone the ring and having them sue me saying it was rock candy or something.

Does anyone know a good way to sell something like this without being jacked by a jeweler who offers something ridiculous like 5k?

Try searching eBay for completed sales. At least you'd find out what similar items have gone for in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw...ct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=16&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

It looks like the most a cocktail ring sold for recently was $7,050.

Reaction Score

Get a written appraisal from a reputable jewelry store (Lux, Bond & Green???) to ascertain true value and sort of a provenance for your contemplated Ebay sale.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd honestly get someone reputable/in-the-know to sell it for you. Yeah, you'd lose a little on commission, but in return, you'd get a guarantee (piece of mind), a simple process, and likely a higher price.

I don't have any personal recommendations, but I'm certain it's not something that is hard to find/review online. Or ask a few jewelry stores if they know of any such services.

Just a thought.

(if you don't know what you are doing, selling on Ebay is a risk. Whatever he does, make sure he's got money in hand (not a check) before handing over the ring.)

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Try Skinners Auction House.

Sometimes you can e-mail a picture of the item to them and they will give you an estimate.....or you can send it to them for an appraisal.

They are an auction house....so they give you an estimate as to what they believe it may sell for....you get to establish a reserve amount (if it is too high they won't take it....) and they have a fee that they take.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'd honestly get someone reputable/in-the-know to sell it for you. Yeah, you'd lose a little on commission, but in return, you'd get a guarantee (piece of mind), a simple process, and likely a higher price.

I don't have any personal recommendations, but I'm certain it's not something that is hard to find/review online. Or ask a few jewelry stores if they know of any such services.

Just a thought.

(if you don't know what you are doing, selling on Ebay is a risk. Whatever he does, make sure he's got money in hand (not a check) before handing over the ring.)

I agree. In a somewhat similar situation, I found a stamp dealer who helped to sell stamps that my parents had been bilked into buying years before at a very inflated price. The final amount was not what we would have hoped given what was originally paid, but more than the nothing it was producing sitting in a box somewhere. We were put in touch with this dealer at a stamp show that had come to the new convention center in Hartford. You might try to get 2 or 3 estimates of value from stores or dealers.

Reaction Score
You should look at the site www.fabon5th.com. You can submit pictures of the ring and a description online and they will be able to give you an estimate, and then you can decide if you would like to sell or not. They are very helpful

Reaction Score
I used to sell diamonds on 48th St.(?)

They were family rings and stuff. Would walk around to various jewelers and the prices would range from the outrageous to close to value. Those guys are shrewd, bring a bulky friend, and trust no one.

That's if you live on the east coast.

Reaction Score

Just a thought.

An old man walks into a jewlery store with this gorgeous young blond, 40 years his junior. He tells the jeweler he want to buy a diamond ring and "make it expensive", The jeweler comes back and shows him a beautiful one. "How much" the old man asks. "Five Thousand" replies the jeweler. "Do you have one more expensive" asks the old man "It's for the love of my life". The jeweler returns with a diamond so big it barely fits on on her finger. "how much" the old man asks. "Forty Thousand" replies the jeweler. "We'll take it. I will write you out check. Since it is Friday I will pick up the ring on Monday. That will give you time to make sure the check clears. The Jeweler calls the man on Monday and says the check is no good. The old man replies "yeah I know but i just had the best sex of my life this weekend"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom