SUNJ Delusion (Diaco Edition) | The Boneyard

SUNJ Delusion (Diaco Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apparently, they will watch him while he coaches in the "minor leagues" at UConn and then give him a look in a few years if he does a good job. This is the team we just beat a few weeks ago after being 1-9.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=169362833&mid=169362833&sid=988&style=2

Some other choice highlights:

"Diaco is going to fail at UCONN....everyone does."

"Diaco will fail at UCONN bc NE has no recruits and NJ coaches don't like him. "

" I don't think he realizes how hard it's going to be to recruit to a mid-major. "

"ND fans are happier than Uconn. That guy gave up points at the worst times, lots of em.

Let him prove himself in the minor leagues. If he performs, we can revisit then."

"If he does a good job there, he could be out of there quickly if something in the B1G (hint,hint) opens up down the road."

"I'm not so enamored with Diaco as some here. I think Narduzzi was a better defensive coach. I agree with the sentiment about letting him prove himself at UConn and then take a look. "

"Wasn't this the same guy that was rejected at every interview he had?"

"While I'm not happy that Flood is staying in no way would I want Diaco as his replacement"

Reaction Score
Apparently, they will watch him while he coaches in the "minor leagues" at UConn and then give him a look in a few years if he does a good job. This is the team we just beat a few weeks ago after being 1-9.

http://rutgers. /showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=169362833&mid=169362833&sid=988&style=2

"Diaco will fail at UCONN bc NE has no recruits and NJ coaches don't like him. "

" I don't think he realizes how hard it's going to be to recruit to a mid-major. "

"ND fans are happier than Uconn. That guy gave up points at the worst times, lots of em.

Let him prove himself in the minor leagues. If he performs, we can revisit then."

"If he does a good job there, he could be out of there quickly if something in the B1G (hint,hint) opens up down the road."

"I'm not so enamored with Diaco as some here. I think Narduzzi was a better defensive coach. I agree with the sentiment about letting him prove himself at UConn and then take a look. "

"While I'm not happy that Flood is staying in no way would I want Diaco as his replacement"

I'd rather be a Memphis fan than have been born in NJ. I think they have blocked out that a "mid major" just kicked their ass.

Reaction Score
It's their board, they can post what they like over there, I actually prefer it to them bringing their nonsense over here but... The general consensus among our former Big East peers is, "wow, I'm sure he will land someplace better after a couple of good years in the AAC". So we've gone from a place no one would want to coach at, to a he won't be there long enough to matter job, in a matter of days.

No one knows, how well Diaco will do as first time HC, but what we learned from this is that UConn is not a place where good coaches aren't even going to interview. Who knows what happened with Narduzzi, but Diaco is no consolation prize. I would have be ecstatic with Clawson or Lembo. Proven winners. UConn went and got someone more high profile. I'm impressed with the candidate pool, that's for sure.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
RU calling us a mid major, priceless

the WWW gives even the least informed people of the world an audience

Reaction Score
Them calling UConn a mid major is ironic. We beat them this year, have actually made a BCS bowl, pay higher salaries for our coaches and have more programming on sny than their school.

I really hope this series continues.

Reaction Score
It's their board, they can post what they like over there, I actually prefer it to them bringing their nonsense over here but... The general consensus among our former Big East peers is, "wow, I'm sure he will land someplace better after a couple of good years in the AAC". So we've gone from a place no one would want to coach at, to a he won't be there long enough to matter job, in a matter of days.

No one knows, how well Diaco will do as first time HC, but what we learned from this is that UConn is not a place where good coaches aren't even going to interview. Who knows what happened with Narduzzi, but Diaco is no consolation prize. I would have be ecstatic with Clawson or Lembo. Proven winners. UConn went and got someone more high profile. I'm impressed with the candidate pool, that's for sure.

Oh I completely agree, they can say whatever they want on their board, and I do agree that if he does well here, there is a good likelihood he's gone in a few years assuming we are still in AAC, but I was posting it more for the humor of the absurd delusions of grandeur they have among their fan-base. Oh, and also the fact that if he does leave, it won't be to Rutgers for the same amount of money.

There is not another fan base in the entire country that thinks higher of themselves while accomplishing so little.

Reaction Score

http://rutgers. /showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=169362833&mid=169362833&sid=988&style=2

Lol... I love this, especially the "NE has no recruits and NJ coaches don't like him" part.

Diaco recruted:

2014 class-

1. Quenton Nelson- 4* OL- Red Bank, NJ
  2. Andrew Trumbetti- 4* DE- Demarest, NJ
  3. Jay Hayes- 4* DT- Brooklyn, NY
  4. Thomas Holly- 4* DT- Brooklyn, NY- Didn't commit but has Notre Dame as his top three school
  5. Richard Yeargin lll 4* OLB- Fort Lauderdale, FL
  6. Greer Martini- high 3* ILB- Woodberry, VA
2013 class-
  1. John Montelus- 4* OL- Everett, MA
  2. Mike McGlinchey- 4* OL- Philly, PA
  3. Doug Randolph- 4* OLB- Woodberry, VA
  4. Rashad Kinlaw- high 3* CB- Absecon, NJ
2012 class-
  1. Elijah Shumate- 4* Safety- Ramsey, NJ
  2. Jarron Jones- 4* DE- Rochester, NY
2011-
  1. Ishaq Williams- 4* OLB- Brooklyn, NY
And these are recruits he recruited from New England alone, imagine the recruits he got commits from outside of the New England area such as, FL,TX, GA, MI, etc... he's a hell of a recruiter and I think Rutgirl fans are terrified and jealous now that we may compete not only on the field, but in the recruiting grounds as well.

Reaction Score
Can I just say that I hate Rutgers. I hate the school, I hate all their teams, I hate their diet Coke helmets and their pretentious black uniforms and their stupid black outs at games. Awful school. Awful athletic department. Awful. Just Awful.

Reaction Score
A good friend of mine..a former UCONN FB co-capt and Red Bank Catholic grad emailed Cersosimo about Nelson last year. He cited the RBC pipeline to UCONN..and the list of former RBC players that ended up as Capt's at UCONN. The response he got from Cersosimo was that UCONN was still evaluating whether Nelson could be an OL in their system. This was after Nelson had offers from every B1G team, ND, Alabama and Oregon. I see this kind of thing changing under Diaco and his staff.

Lol... I love this, especially the "NE has no recruits and NJ coaches don't like him" part.

Diaco recruted:

2014 class-

1. [ ]Quenton Nelson- 4* OL- Red Bank, NJ
    [ ]Andrew Trumbetti- 4* DE- Demarest, NJ
    [ ]Jay Hayes- 4* DT- Brooklyn, NY
    [ ]Thomas Holly- 4* DT- Brooklyn, NY- Didn't commit but has Notre Dame as his top three school
    [ ]Richard Yeargin lll 4* OLB- Fort Lauderdale, FL
    [ ]Greer Martini- high 3* ILB- Woodberry, VA
2013 class-

1. [ ]John Montelus- 4* OL- Everett, MA
    [ ]Mike McGlinchey- 4* OL- Philly, PA
    [ ]Doug Randolph- 4* OLB- Woodberry, VA
    [ ]Rashad Kinlaw- high 3* CB- Absecon, NJ
2012 class-

1. [ ]Elijah Shumate- 4* Safety- Ramsey, NJ
    [ ]Jarron Jones- 4* DE- Rochester, NY
2011-

1. [ ]Ishaq Williams- 4* OLB- Brooklyn, NY
And these are recruits he recruited from New England alone, imagine the recruits he got commits from outside of the New England area such as, FL,TX, GA, MI, etc... he's a hell of a recruiter and I think Rutgirl fans are terrified and jealous now that we may compete not only on the field, but in the recruiting grounds as well.

Reaction Score
A good friend of mine..a former UCONN FB co-capt and Red Bank Catholic grad emailed Cersosimo about Nelson last year. He cited the RBC pipeline to UCONN..and the list of former RBC players that ended up as Capt's at UCONN. The response he got from Cersosimo was that UCONN was still evaluating whether Nelson could be an OL in their system. This was after Nelson had offers from every B1G team, ND, Alabama and Oregon. I see this kind of thing changing under Diaco and his staff.

He must've not been looking like a really solid ZONE BLOCKer.

Reaction Score
From everything you hear Cersosimo and Ambose were not the smoothest ambasadors of UConn football on the recruiting trail thats' for sure.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Diaco recruted:

2014 class-

1. [ ]Quenton Nelson- 4* OL- Red Bank, NJ
    [ ]Andrew Trumbetti- 4* DE- Demarest, NJ
    [ ]Jay Hayes- 4* DT- Brooklyn, NY
    [ ]Thomas Holly- 4* DT- Brooklyn, NY- Didn't commit but has Notre Dame as his top three school
    [ ]Richard Yeargin lll 4* OLB- Fort Lauderdale, FL
    [ ]Greer Martini- high 3* ILB- Woodberry, VA
2013 class-

1. [ ]John Montelus- 4* OL- Everett, MA
    [ ]Mike McGlinchey- 4* OL- Philly, PA
    [ ]Doug Randolph- 4* OLB- Woodberry, VA
    [ ]Rashad Kinlaw- high 3* CB- Absecon, NJ
2012 class-

1. [ ]Elijah Shumate- 4* Safety- Ramsey, NJ
    [ ]Jarron Jones- 4* DE- Rochester, NY
2011-

1. [ ]Ishaq Williams- 4* OLB- Brooklyn, NY

Not sure you know where New England is. There is only 1 player from NE on that list. I don't care anyway, it is the New Jersey part I am excited about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really who cares what Snooki thinks? I have never been a fan of going to other boards for validation. That's my biggest beef with the Rutties. They are all over the internet looking for respect and finding none.

Reaction Score
Not sure you know where New England is. There is only 1 player from NE on that list. I don't care anyway, it is the New Jersey part I am excited about.

I meant Tri-State, New England area, oops!

Reaction Score
I'm reluctant to engage in this thread given the obnoxious (and frankly, pretty tired) crap that seems to be rehashed over and over and over again here, but I feel the need to try to talk with the minority of non-jerks who seem to frequent this site for the sake of interesting discussion. So here goes:

The people who wrote the stuff that the OP pulled for this post are generally very jerky themselves -- some of the more abrasive of the RU fan base. I think most Rutgers fans believe the following (as do I):
  • Diaco is a very good coach from an Xs and Os standpoint (on the defensive side, of course), and in his ability to motivate players. His awards certainly speak for themselves -- though remember, Kyle Flood is a former Big East Coach of the Year so awards can sometimes be misleading!
  • He also seems thus far in his career to be a great recruiter. It remains to be seen how much of that was due to the Notre Dame name. He will start out behind the 8-ball at UConn given conference affiliation and the quality of the local high school talent pool, but he's young and hungry and may very well be able to mitigate those challenges. (BTW, the post earlier in this thread listing a bunch of NJ/NY 4* players as being evidence of the football talent in New England did not exactly reflect well on its author.)
  • There is a question regarding why he's been passed up for previous jobs for which he's interviewed. It probably comes down to something as simple as the other schools liking other candidates better, or wanting people with previous head coaching experience.
  • I've also heard from a number of people that many NJ high school coaches don't like him that much. That hasn't stopped him from bringing in a respectable recruiting haul from NJ at Notre Dame, but (if true) it would present one more hurdle for him to overcome.
  • All-in-all, this looks like a terrific hire for UConn and one that should help to turn things around from the PP regime. One could certainly ask whether Diaco will stick around if he does take the team to a few bowl games, or whether he will look for greener pastures, but I don't think UConn has the luxury of asking that question when looking for a new coaching hire.
  • I'm not glib about Diaco using this as a stepping-stone to a Rutgers HC position. First of all, the timing doesn't make sense. Flood has one, maybe two years left tops to build a successful team. Frankly, I think this means bowl eligibility in our first year in the B1G and 8-4 in our second season, otherwise his buy-out is sufficiently small at that point to go after a bigger name. If Diaco is able to be consistently successful at UConn, it will probably take a few years for him to show that consistency. So either Flood will figure out how to put it together and will have gotten an extension, or he'll already have been canned. Second of all, if Diaco is that successful then UConn could offer him a very large raise that (for at least the next six years or so, until we get our full share of B1G revenues) would be out of our reach.
  • FWIW, I have to imagine that UConn will be invited to join the ACC at some point. It makes too much sense not to happen, especially now that FSU and Clemson probably won't threaten to leave if the basketball schools suggest adding another good basketball school. That said, anyone who thinks UConn will get a B1G invitation (and I saw at least one of those people somewhere in the Diaco thread) is wearing blue-and-white-colored glasses.

Reaction Score
So now that the guy who I was jabbing for the "New England" mistake just liked my post, I feel like a total jerk. Thanks UConnFamily :(

Reaction Score
I'm reluctant to engage in this thread given the obnoxious (and frankly, pretty tired) crap that seems to be rehashed over and over and over again here, but I feel the need to try to talk with the minority of non-jerks who seem to frequent this site for the sake of interesting discussion. So here goes:

The people who wrote the stuff that the OP pulled for this post are generally very jerky themselves -- some of the more abrasive of the RU fan base. I think most Rutgers fans believe the following (as do I):

• [ ]Diaco is a very good coach from an Xs and Os standpoint (on the defensive side, of course), and in his ability to motivate players. His awards certainly speak for themselves -- though remember, Kyle Flood is a former Big East Coach of the Year so awards can sometimes be misleading!
    [ ]He also seems thus far in his career to be a great recruiter. It remains to be seen how much of that was due to the Notre Dame name. He will start out behind the 8-ball at UConn given conference affiliation and the quality of the local high school talent pool, but he's young and hungry and may very well be able to mitigate those challenges. (BTW, the post earlier in this thread listing a bunch of NJ/NY 4* players as being evidence of the football talent in New England did not exactly reflect well on its author.)
    [ ]There is a question regarding why he's been passed up for previous jobs for which he's interviewed. It probably comes down to something as simple as the other schools liking other candidates better, or wanting people with previous head coaching experience.
    [ ]I've also heard from a number of people that many NJ high school coaches don't like him that much. That hasn't stopped him from bringing in a respectable recruiting haul from NJ at Notre Dame, but (if true) it would present one more hurdle for him to overcome.
    [ ]All-in-all, this looks like a terrific hire for UConn and one that should help to turn things around from the PP regime. One could certainly ask whether Diaco will stick around if he does take the team to a few bowl games, or whether he will look for greener pastures, but I don't think UConn has the luxury of asking that question when looking for a new coaching hire.
    [ ]I'm not glib about Diaco using this as a stepping-stone to a Rutgers HC position. First of all, the timing doesn't make sense. Flood has one, maybe two years left tops to build a successful team. Frankly, I think this means bowl eligibility in our first year in the B1G and 8-4 in our second season, otherwise his buy-out is sufficiently small at that point to go after a bigger name. If Diaco is able to be consistently successful at UConn, it will probably take a few years for him to show that consistency. So either Flood will figure out how to put it together and will have gotten an extension, or he'll already have been canned. Second of all, if Diaco is that successful then UConn could offer him a very large raise that (for at least the next six years or so, until we get our full share of B1G revenues) would be out of our reach.
    [ ]FWIW, I have to imagine that UConn will be invited to join the ACC at some point. It makes too much sense not to happen, especially now that FSU and Clemson probably won't threaten to leave if the basketball schools suggest adding another good basketball school. That said, anyone who thinks UConn will get a B1G invitation (and I saw at least one of those people somewhere in the Diaco thread) is wearing blue-and-white-colored glasses.

You seem rational and non-trollish (for now :)) so let me ask a question - there is a rumor floating around somewhere here that Rutgers made a run @ Vandy's Franklin last week and couldn't come to an agreement so they stayed w/ Flood. Any intel? Having a tough time believing that... but who knows.

Reaction Score
Huskymedic: I hadn't heard any specific names. I can't talk about the things I did hear because they're from the Scout pay site, but it wasn't anything to suggest that they talked to Franklin. Not saying it didn't happen, but I was surprised as well to see it suggested.

It does seem hard to imagine that Franklin would seriously consider jumping ship to RU. He just spent the past three years building the Commodores into a respectable program while playing against USCe, Georgia, and teams from the SEC West every year. Why would he want to come to Rutgers to have to go up against the likes of OSU, Michigan State, Michigan and teams from the B1G West? I think we're in a much better position right now than Vanderbilt was when he took over, but it seems like an odd choice when I'm sure he's on the short list every year for programs that have a much less difficult road to hoe.

The only reason I could see Franklin thinking twice is because he grew up ~30 miles away from Rutgers, just over the river in Pennsylvania. If he wanted to come closer to home for some reason, Rutgers would be a decent choice.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Big East Coach of the Year Award is equal to the Broyle award.

Seems to be a great recruiter but let's see if it was the Notre Dame name?

NJ high school coaches don't like him but he brings in the commits?

How in the world do you guys get fooled by this back handed complimenting clown?

Reaction Score
"That said, anyone who thinks UConn will get a B1G invitation (and I saw at least one of those people somewhere in the Diaco thread) is wearing blue-and-white-colored glasses."

Why is that exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate