OT: Sunderland ‘til I Die | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sunderland ‘til I Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least Promotion/Relegation is a meritocracy. How many of the P5 conferences have dead weight that should have been relegated ages ago?
Well, lets talk about the G5 instead .... UConn would be out of the AAC long ago.

Reaction Score
Well, that’s not what’s happening at Sunderland.

The "reputed" oligarch Billionaire (like DJT he might have lied) American washed out after lots of strange moves. The next ownership was a consortium led by much smaller pocket English business.

It's daunting to get back to Premier. Like CFB, there really are a handful of top Premier teams that are light years beyond where Sunderland could ever be.

Reaction Score
The "reputed" oligarch Billionaire (like DJT he might have lied) American washed out after lots of strange moves. The next ownership was a consortium led by much smaller pocket English business.

It's daunting to get back to Premier. Like CFB, there really are a handful of top Premier teams that are light years beyond where Sunderland could ever be.

Plus I think those teams and the other big teams in Europe would do away with pro/rel if they could.

Reaction Score
Plus I think those teams and the other big teams in Europe would do away with pro/rel if they could.

OLIGARCY - Econ 101

Yes - those few in the EPL (Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Liverpool then Tottenham, Arsenal etc ... maybe 1 or 2 get to join up) would love to GUARANTEE their economic status and champions forever. Same in CFB - and there you go Mike Slive and Jim Delaney - that Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, etc reacted boorishly to a UConn in the Fiesta Bowl or other odd risings.

The difference in OUR rooting interest is the inclusion of State U, academic purity language (keeping the Labor force poor) and the total regional mess that has been created. UConn has a Market they can gain and exploit - we are in a region that COULD care for our sports teams; but we have been slammed by both overt and covert repression. In Sunderland, you have a Oligarch (American Ellis Short) who tried to play by the rules to get the top; but, he got caught with simple bad luck and not quite being wealthy/attractive enough. Lots of parallels. You are left - when you watch - with the passion and anguish of the fans who came to this sports love through the purest of motives.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
And the difference, of course, is that in English football teams can buy their way to the top and often do. All you need is a billionaire oligarch to take up your cause.

As a model for the UConn Huskies FB team, it does not quite work. UConn's oligarch backers are few and far between.
If I win one of those big lotteries, I'll donate $100 million to UConn football and $50 million to SMU football (grad school).

Then I'll buy an estate on Nantucket and retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom