Sunday Press Conference Quick Hits - No decison on Casey | The Boneyard

Sunday Press Conference Quick Hits - No decison on Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller1:07pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco: "Offensive line did some good things and things we needed to work on."

NHRJimFuller1:08pm via TweetDeck
#UConn coach Bob Diaco said he will make formal announcement on Casey Cochran's status at Tuesday's press conference

NHRJimFuller1:11pm via TweetDeck
Josh Marriner is fne, a full go according to #UConn coach Bob Diaco

JohnFSilver1:19pm via Twitter Web Client
No update on Casey Cochran injury or timetable. Will have info on Tuesday. Josh Marriner is OK.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It will be dubbed "Pins and Needles Tuesday" regarding Cochran's status and future. Our 2014 season hinges on it.

Reaction Score
Tuesday announcement. Doesn't sound promising the way they mentioned it. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news.

Reaction Score
If he's going to play again this year and the only question is when, I'm fine resting him for the last game of our pre-season schedule and saving him for Tampa. Based on our ytd play, I don't see Saturday as winnable anyway.

Reaction Score
Glad at least Marriner is OK.

Just hope for the best on CC's status.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It will be dubbed "Pins and Needles Tuesday" regarding Cochran's status and future. Our 2014 season hinges on it.

Actually, it doesn't. This fan base more than just about any other knows bad QB play. There was almost no difference between CW, CC, and TB last season and I suspect their isn't appreciably more this year. Like choosing the prettiest hog. We won 7 games with a non-scholarship QB and a terrible coach just a few years ago and won two conference championships with what could be generously considered competent QB play. Expecting a consistently better outcome based on which one plays isn't realistic. HCBD is a professional as were TJ and yes PP. None of them could point to any of the three and say, yup that's the guy. Fold expecting a Tom Brady like turnaround at the position, or even a Matt Schaub, are torturing themselves and annoying the rest of us.

I rewatched the BYU game and will watch the replay of SB. This team is noticeably better to the eye. Instead of a dozen things going wrong there are only a few. Doesn't mean a lot, but it's something. If they continue to improve, maybe a bowl game is still in play and some hope can build about the future.

CW, CC makes a lot less difference to the seasons prospects than being able to run the ball better and make tackles on D. Our QB lot is cast. Not turning the ball over is a winning outcome from the position. You'll be get more passing yardage and points out of the WR's playing better.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Actually, it doesn't. This fan base more than just about any other knows bad QB play. There was almost no difference between CW, CC, and TB last season and I suspect their isn't appreciably more this year. Like choosing the prettiest hog. We won 7 games with a non-scholarship QB and a terrible coach just a few years ago and won two conference championships with what could be generously considered competent QB play. Expecting a consistently better outcome based on which one plays isn't realistic. HCBD is a professional as were TJ and yes PP. None of them could point to any of the three and say, yup that's the guy. Fold expecting a Tom Brady like turnaround at the position, or even a Matt Schaub, are torturing themselves and annoying the rest of us.

I rewatched the BYU game and will watch the replay of SB. This team is noticeably better to the eye. Instead of a dozen things going wrong there are only a few. Doesn't mean a lot, but it's something. If they continue to improve, maybe a bowl game is still in play and some hope can build about the future.

CW, CC makes a lot less difference to the seasons prospects than being able to run the ball better and make tackles on D. Our QB lot is cast. Not turning the ball over is a winning outcome from the position. You'll be get more passing yardage and points out of the WR's playing better.

I agree with you on your point about there being other areas on the team that need to ironed out too. But let me ask: do you think the team responds to and plays harder/better with Cochran or Whitmer?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I agree with you on your point about there being other areas on the team that need to ironed out too. But let me ask: do you think the team responds to and plays harder/better with Cochran or Whitmer?

I don't think it's statistically significant based on the complete body of work to date. Which is why the calls for Boyle and the worrying over the which one is starting genuinely puzzles me. I'd be more apt to ask if there are no other big fat guys that can play up front or can any of the reserve LB's and S's tackle better that the guys playing. I suspect the answer is also no, but I haven't seen those guys play as much as I've seen the QB's.

If either QB is giving me better than 50% completion and zero turnovers, I don't think his replacement could do a whole lot better.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't think it's statistically significant based on the complete body of work to date. Which is why the calls for Boyle and the worrying over the which one is starting genuinely puzzles me. I'd be more apt to ask if there are no other big fat guys that can play up front or can any of the reserve LB's and S's tackle better that the guys playing. I suspect the answer is also no, but I haven't seen those guys play as much as I've seen the QB's.

If either QB is giving me better than 50% completion and zero turnovers, I don't think his replacement could do a whole lot better.

Fair enough. Our OL has been mediocre thus far (being gracious). I think Cochran is head and shoulders better than Whitmer in his decision making and accuracy, thus helping to mask the OL weaknesses in my opinion. But there's no doubt that there are other areas on the team that need to be worked on in addition to QB play.

Reaction Score

Lay out their numbers and then tell me why I'm so dumb that I see a shockingly statistically significant difference.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
Lay out their numbers and then tell me why I'm so dumb that I see a shockingly statistically significant difference.

I started to respond and then I just deleted it. Sometimes I think half our fan base has the last name Whitmer.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

blah blah..sample size...there isn't much here. You would need to include last year's stats to show something tangible, which I really discount because of the vastly different schedules each guy played. But, I agree that Casey is better, he's just not so much better that his absence is the cause of our offensive offensiveness and that his return is some panacea. I also think the two QB thing is dumb. BD had the whole offseason to pick a guy, he should have be picked a guy.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
WHITMER, C. 2 101.6 20-44-0 45.5 255 1 39 127.5
Cochran, Casey 1 94.7 17-31-1 54.8 171 0 24 171.0

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Here's 2013 for those pining for Boyle as well. All three are near the bottom of the NCAA, I fail to see what we are arguing about or why we are arguing about it.

Cochran, Casey 8 141.7 111-175-4 63.4 1293 11 46 161.6
Boyle, Tim 5 71.6 59-133-8 44.4 621 0 36 124.2
WHITMER, Chan. 4 116.9 71-129-6 55.0 896 5 75 224.0

Reaction Score
Quarterbacks play is one of many problems on offense. Can't block can't get open , receivers dropping balls. I have watched other sub 70 ranked schools whose offenses look like Florida states compared to ours.
I think the team has new system issues and timing g issues. We need a BMF to quote pulp fiction on that offensive line. I want to see shoving after the whistle.

Reaction Score
Quarterbacks play is one of many problems on offense. Can't block can't get open , receivers dropping balls. I have watched other sub 70 ranked schools whose offenses look like Florida states compared to ours.
I think the team has new system issues and timing g issues. We need a BMF to quote pulp fiction on that offensive line. I want to see shoving after the whistle.

Play physical and play until someone stops you. F the whistle. Whats a whistle?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Also, is it just me, or does this running game look like Foley isn't completely in charge of it?

It's probably my paranoia, but this does not look like classic Foley run game. I'm wondering how much of the control of the run game and the OLine belongs to Cummings...

Reaction Score
With Cochran, we have a far better chance of reaching a bowl than we do with Whitmer...there is a difference!

Reaction Score
Lose-lose as far as I'm concerned. As much as we all want him out there this kid's life isn't worth us having an outside shot at a bowl vs a Sun Belt team.

Reaction Score
Also, is it just me, or does this running game look like Foley isn't completely in charge of it?

It's probably my paranoia, but this does not look like classic Foley run game. I'm wondering how much of the control of the run game and the OLine belongs to Cummings...

image.jpg

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

HCBD expressed concern in camp about having enough offensive linemen to get through a season. Playing the two true freshmen underscores the point. A little Mike Foley magic might be the ultimate key our bowling hopes.

Reaction Score
Here's 2013 for those pining for Boyle as well. All three are near the bottom of the NCAA, I fail to see what we are arguing about or why we are arguing about it.

Cochran, Casey 8 141.7 111-175-4 63.4 1293 11 46 161.6
Boyle, Tim 5 71.6 59-133-8 44.4 621 0 36 124.2
WHITMER, Chan. 4 116.9 71-129-6 55.0 896 5 75 224.0

It might just be me, but I see one guy who is clearly above the other two. One guy has a 7.4 Y/A with a 2.3% INT% and the other two have 4.7, 6% and 6.9, 4.7%. I want the 1st guy listed starting and getting the overwhelming majority of the snaps, health pending.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hate being this guy but this needs to be added to the equation:

Are we sure that an AAC team that finishes 6-6 gets a bowl invite?

Reaction Score
I hate being this guy but this needs to be added to the equation:

Are we sure that an AAC team that finishes 6-6 gets a bowl invite?

It sure does need to be added. I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't burn Boyle's redshirt unless the difference was a bowl game. If we need 7 wins I don't see how Boyle is able to do that much better than Whitmer or a healthy Cochran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom