Sun @ Sparks - 9/03/17 | The Boneyard

Sun @ Sparks - 9/03/17

Reaction Score
Awful start for CT. The W seems to be sending a message that the CT stars will get no deference in this year's ending. I am not expecting these playoffs to go well. It was a fun season anyway.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Jonquel close to the single-season rebounding mark? There are lots of Sun misses to corral.

Reaction Score
Just my 2-cents worth, but I really can't stand watching the LA Sparks play BB! Nneka is great but CP3, Beard, etal, takes me off my feed. I also can't stand the LA Lakers, so it must be an LA thing.
I'm also really upset that Lindsay Whalen got hurt! No team should have it's season changed by injury or sickness! If you're going to lose, lose because you didn't play well not because an integral part of your puzzle is sitting on the bench!
That's why each year when UCONN WBB starts their season the only thing I hope for is an injury/sickness free season and let the pieces fall where they may!
When Svet & Shea got hurt in 2001 I was really crushed because that, to me, was a fantastic team, and deserved better!

Reaction Score
The Sparks seemed to make a statement. I really thought the Sun would have given them much more of a game that today. We will see how they adjust.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just horrible shooting and not all because of LA's D. Jas is just WAY off the mark recently. Courney stone cold till the end of the game when she started lighting it up. Hopefully she found her range and it's a harbinger of her playoff shooting. Record for JJ and that is a great accomplishment but it feels a little hollow after the last 2 games.
Next stop, Neon Uncasville to face the Storm or Merc. Pulling for the Storm.

Reaction Score
Just horrible shooting and not all because of LA's D. Jas is just WAY off the mark recently. Courney stone cold till the end of the game when she started lighting it up. Hopefully she found her range and it's a harbinger of her playoff shooting. Record for JJ and that is a great accomplishment but it feels a little hollow after the last 2 games.
I have a soft spot for the Storm too. But it's going to be the Mercury, and I'm afraid the result is going to be similar to Friday's game.

Reaction Score

The shooting has been bad, hasn't it? Jasmine's stats these past few games made me gulp! The long season is catching up with them - they're learning what it takes to sustaining winning across four months. This week of rest and practice will be important. Very glad their first play-off game is at home.

As the 4 seed, I believe the Sun will play the highest-seeded team left after the first round. So if the Storm win and the Wings win, the Sun will play the Wings.

Reaction Score
The shooting has been bad, hasn't it? Jasmine's stats these past few games made me gulp! The long season is catching up with them - they're learning what it takes to sustaining winning across four months. This week of rest and practice will be important. Very glad their first play-off game is at home.

As the 4 seed, I believe the Sun will play the highest-seeded team left after the first round. So if the Storm win and the Wings win, the Sun will play the Wings.
You're right. They get reseeded after the rounds now. Not a bad idea. I always hated when my daughter was in softball tournaments and though their record was better than another team, they ended up sometimes playing the tougher team because there was no reseeding.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The Sun did not seem to have any rhythm in this game.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

I keep forgetting about the across-the-board reseeding. Regardless, every game will be a war now and the Sun need to get their mojo back ASAP or face the one-and-done scenario.

After shooting a miserable 1o-40 (25%) over the last 4 games, and shooting an even worse 1-5 (20%) in the 1st half of the LA game, Courtney broke out in the 2nd half shooting 6-8 (75%) and finishing at 54% for the game. I sure hope this signals a run for her.

As emjay pointed out Jas Thomas is in a shooting slump also. She was shooting over 44% before the last 4 games, since then she has only hit 27% dropping her season average of 41.2%. She is getting and missing a lot of open shots that she nailed before. That has to change for the Sun to succeed in the playoffs.

Morgan looked a little better against LA but is still on the struggle bus since her return from injury. She shot 43% but was just 1-4 from 3. She could be a huge help if she can get back to pre-injury form.

To no one's surprise who has ever seen her play over the course of a season, Alyssa Thomas is clearly banged up. JJ looked super-frustrated with the play under the basket. She is getting shoved around badly and (despite being against the rules) it is not going to get called, especially in the playoffs. Hopefully the 6 days of rest and practice will be just what the doctor ordered for everyone. More than anything they need a return to the positive confident vibe that had just a few games ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom