Sun Drop Another Game They Should Have Won | The Boneyard

Sun Drop Another Game They Should Have Won

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks to a problem with LeaguePass, I was just able to watch the Mystics game today.

The bottom line is seen on the free throw line: Sun 6-11, Mystics 23-29. A seventeen point disparity and they lose by 2. I'd like to blame it all on the refs but as bad and inconsistent as they are, I don't believe there's a conspiracy in play. Alyssa Thomas is among the league leaders in FT attempts, as you might expect from her playing style and despite getting no love from the refs AT ALL. BUT she is among the league's worst free throw shooters at 45%. This is obviously a terrible combination.

It doesn't end there... Alex Bentley has a chance to tie the game on 3 free throws with just seconds left on the clock and misses the first one. Alex is a 77+% career free throw shooter and was 9-9 before the Mystics game. Alex has always been a streaky shooter and is off to a really bad start from the fields at 32% for the season.

In their previous 2 point loss to the Lynx, there was a 9 point FT disparity. Alyssa had NO free throw attempts in 31 minutes, and the Sun as a team shot only 6 free throws, making just 4.

In the 2 point loss to the Fever there was a 14 point FT disparity despite the Sun shooting an uncharacteristic 93% from the line.

In the 7 point loss to the Dream, a 12 point FT disparity with the Sun shooting 65% and Alyssa Thomas going 3-9.

I'm sure this problem is well known to the coaching staff and players and they have to get it straightened out. And while they're at it, STOP MISSING LAYUPS!!

On the upside, JJ post another double-double despite a poor shooting day (33%) and continues her breakout season. Kizer has also been very solid as expected.

Reaction Score
You see it pretty much as I do. This is a talented, young team that has all the pieces needed to have a winning record, this year. Their problems are not so much structural in nature, such as the composition of the squad. No, there's simply been way too much leakage on the execution side, mostly with missed bunnies and free throws. The team needs to acknowledge this already and apply themselves towards getting it fixed. Now this is where a good coach should be able to step in, call out the issues, and demand that each player take personal responsibility for those things she can control. To be continued...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm also keeping an interested eye on the Sun. They blow their horns, shoot off lots of fireworks before the season starts to get the fan base lathered up into a frenzy, then stumble coming out of the gate. A break here or there, and they could have a couple of more wins. Despite the fact that they continue to infuse the team with fresh new talent, the more things change, the more they stay the same...........kinda like the Cleveland Browns. The Sun really need to do something, and break out of the awful funk they're in.
1-5 is unacceptable for the talent they have on this roster.

Reaction Score
I'm also keeping an interested eye on the Sun. They blow their horns, shoot off lots of fireworks before the season starts to get the fan base lathered up into a frenzy, then stumble coming out of the gate. A break here or there, and they could have a couple of more wins. Despite the fact that they continue to infuse the team with fresh new talent, the more things change, the more they stay the same......kinda like the Cleveland Browns. The Sun really need to do something, and break out of the awful funk they're in.
1-5 is unacceptable for the talent they have on this roster.

Way too early to speak of the Sun as the Cleveland Browns. I mean Cleveland has been bad for a really long time. But when Coach T. was with the Sun, things were usually pretty good. That was their first mistake, getting rid of him. But Miller seems to be an able guy and I think he will get things together soon. Anyway, 1-5 is really about where most people would have expected them to be at this point. Remember, they had two games against the Lynx. It was pretty much a given that they would lose against them. If they won half of the rest of the games they had played so far, highly unlikely with such a young team, they would have two wins currently instead of one. It's a process to get where they want to be, but by the end of the season I expect them to be one of the lower playoff seeds.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Way too early to speak of the Sun as the Cleveland Browns. I mean Cleveland has been bad for a really long time. But when Coach T. was with the Sun, things were usually pretty good. That was their first mistake, getting rid of him. But Miller seems to be an able guy and I think he will get things together soon. Anyway, 1-5 is really about where most people would have expected them to be at this point. Remember, they had two games against the Lynx. It was pretty much a given that they would lose against them. If they won half of the rest of the games they had played so far, highly unlikely with such a young team, they would have two wins currently instead of one. It's a process to get where they want to be, but by the end of the season I expect them to be one of the lower playoff seeds.

Sorry about the CB reference, that was a bit of a cheap shot. I got a little carried away. Owgumike being out all year certainly throws a wrench in their plans for this year. The Browns are the kind of organization that will buy a box of "left handed" footballs (because they were on clearance sale), in spite of all of their QB's being right handed. :eek: Despite their good intentions, they can't seem to do anything right.

I admit I bought into the preseason hype the Sun was giving us, and expected them to come out of the blocks with a bit more grit and resolve.

Once again, their 1-5 start makes me think back to Lasorda's pronouncement. If the Sun does not stop this current skid quickly, they can start thinking about next year. I realize it's still early, and there's a lot of BB yet to be played. But............if they continue their current slide, it's going to be a l-o-n-g season, and they'll be in the cellar, frantically looking for that #1 lottery draft pick (A'ja Wilson ?!?) :rolleyes: next year.

The San Antonio Stars are in the same boat. Last year they finished with a league worst record of 7-27. After 6 games this season, they're still looking for their first win. They are the only winless team in the league. They have a lot more talent on this team than a year ago. It will be interesting to see how they fare as the season progresses. I wonder how Moriah Jefferson feels about her role of coming off the bench their first six games, despite the success she had last year. Go Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom