Sun Come Close Again | The Boneyard

Sun Come Close Again

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Down 2 with the ball. Couldn't pull off the upset. Once again they give the game away on the foul differential. 4 of 6 made by the Sun vs 15 of 22 by the Lynx. :(

Reaction Score
They're young. They're growing. They're coming up short, but the direction seems to be there. It is fun to watch right now and it's going to get better. It was another exciting game. If Jasmine Thomas had just taken one less dribble and elevated from behind Alyssa Thomas, they might have won.

But I will admit one thing: having seen Danielle Adams a couple of times. I see what you mean by her not being able to keep up. She has put on a ton of weight since she last played in the W. She is a defensive liability. Unless she loses fifty pounds or so, she won't be able to keep up. I hadn't seen her. Great shooter, but minus 8 last night in three minutes. Better to pull an adequate player off the waiver wire.

As for the foul disparity, the savvy of the veteran Lynx and the inexperience of the Sun showed through. The referees were a little wise to a couple of the moves of the Lynx and didn't call some of them, Renee pretending she got pulled, Jia Perkins pretending she got tripped, but the veteran teams are constantly making it look like they are getting fouled. It's part of the art of basketball that hopefully our women will improve at. But of course, we have to get better at getting the ball inside to create contact too.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Too much Maya and Big Syl for the Sun.

Reaction Score
Way to many missed bunnies right at the basket, as well. They are a talented, enthusiastic, and energetic young team. I love watching them, and could see myself a big fan of this core group for many years to come.

The leakage I'm seeing in their game should be relatively easy to fix. Once they do, they'll immediately start winning and should become the playoff team that Rebecca has predicted.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I only watched the tail end of the game, but that was long enough to hear the Sun coach say "aiight" about 20 times during huddles. Annoying as heck. What's w/ that? I think he's incapable of communicating w/out throwing that in every 4th or 5th word.

Reaction Score
I only watched the tail end of the game, but that was long enough to hear the Sun coach say "aiight" about 20 times during huddles. Annoying as heck. What's w/ that? I think he's incapable of communicating w/out throwing that in every 4th or 5th word.
It was funny, but it didn't annoy me. I thought it kind of endearing. It was interesting that he didn't seem to be lisping at all during those moments like he usually does. He was really intent on getting across his message. Anyway, I think he is a good coach and that's the most important thing. Aiight?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Other notable things about that game. Morgan Tuck had a double double. And the Sun were quicker than the Lynx and had 13 steals, off many of which they scored.

In the interest of full disclosure, Morgan had an awful shooting night but shot ok at the end of the game. At one point I think she was 1 for 11 or 12 (lots of missed layups too). She ended up at 5 for 17, 29.4%. Tuck and Bentley combined for an embarrassing 8 for 29 (27%). If one or both of them shot a non-terrible %, the Sun win; if they fouled the Lynx a couple less times, they win, if they drove to the hoop and got fouled a couple of times instead of shooting jumpers, they win (shot their 1st free throw in the 3rd Q); if JJ doesn't have to sit with fouls, they win. So frustratingly close to a HUGE road win.

PS- Can't find a word of printed reporting on the game by the Day, the Bulletin or the Courant. Pretty bad job covering the tiny world of Connecticut pro sports. I hope the reporters have a League Pass subscription (geez).

Reaction Score

Does he think he's being hip doing that? Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom