Summitt's time-line per DeMoss | The Boneyard

Summitt's time-line per DeMoss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.guideposts.org/inspirational-stories/a-champion-coach-with-faith-courage-commitment

Mickie DeMoss has a tender and touching piece about the evolution of Pat's illness. It certainly tracks my experiences with a loved one's Alzheimer's, and it provides details I haven't seen before:

--DeMoss could sense something wrong from the day that Pat called her in the Spring of 2010 to ask that she rejoin the Vols, and she saw Pat go through a typical Alzheimer's moment almost as soon as she arrived (telling a former player to come by the next day but forgetting it the next morning). There were more incidents as the season progressed.

--Pat told DeMoss in April 2011 that she had been diagnosed; she thought she could still coach and waited until August to go public with the news.

Pat comes across as a fighter with a great sense of humor. And it sounds like she was fighting the effects for at least 18 months before the announcement.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This is a very touching article and a fitting tribute to Pat.

But I have a little problem. At some point -- presumably after this piece was written -- Mickie entered into some agreement with the WNBA. I can understand her taking advantage of a new opportunity and respect her possible motive in wanting Holly to feel free tobring in her own assistants. But it seems inconsistent with her assertions of sustained support and loyalty to Pat.

I would like to be mistaken and I hope someone more knowledgeable will clarify the situation.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kibitzer

I had the same reaction, I came back because Pat asked and needed me. Then why are you leaving in what will be her time of biggest need. At the same time, I'm convinced that Pat implored her to take advantage of the WNBA opportunity as it has been a career goal and wanted Mickie to take the job. I'm also sure that Holly encouraged her to take the WNBA Job and IMHO it is the best for the Lady Vols as well. They need some new assistants and Holly has to somehow make this be her team and new assistants will help.

I guess for me Tyler leaving is the biggest surprise. He could have continued to coach AAU ball, possibly in a local high school and/or continued in school to obtain a Masters degree at no cost. Pat and whoever Tyler listens to, must have had some strong arguments that it was for the best that he start his career instead of staying in the Knoxville area. Obviously if its necessary, Tyler can take a leave of absence from Marquette at any time or Pat could completely retire and move to the Marquette area.

Tough decisions for everyone and Pat is no shrinking violet and if she said she's alright and you need to live your own life, it would be hard to say no.

Reaction Score
It is a terrible disease that has no current cure and I have been through this several times with family members and its not easy. The biggest thing is to keep them occupied and keep them physically active. They will respond to this type treatment and do not like to be treated like a baby....Personal Pride and being independent are huge and must never be taken away until there safety is an issue . The Good Lord will take good care of her and I pray for her daily.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tough decisions for everyone and Pat is no shrinking violet and if she said she's alright and you need to live your own life, it would be hard to say no.
I think that is it.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Kibitzer

I had the same reaction, I came back because Pat asked and needed me. Then why are you leaving in what will be her time of biggest need. At the same time, I'm convinced that Pat implored her to take advantage of the WNBA opportunity as it has been a career goal and wanted Mickie to take the job. I'm also sure that Holly encouraged her to take the WNBA Job and IMHO it is the best for the Lady Vols as well. They need some new assistants and Holly has to somehow make this be her team and new assistants will help.

I guess for me Tyler leaving is the biggest surprise. He could have continued to coach AAU ball, possibly in a local high school and/or continued in school to obtain a Masters degree at no cost. Pat and whoever Tyler listens to, must have had some strong arguments that it was for the best that he start his career instead of staying in the Knoxville area. Obviously if its necessary, Tyler can take a leave of absence from Marquette at any time or Pat could completely retire and move to the Marquette area.

It is a terrible disease that has no current cure and I have been through this several times with family members and its not easy. The biggest thing is to keep them occupied and keep them physically active. They will respond to this type treatment and do not like to be treated like a baby....Personal Pride and being independent are huge and must never be taken away until there safety is an issue . The Good Lord will take good care of her and I pray for her daily.

In regards to Tyler, I wonder if Pat is considering spending time at the Mayo Clinic? That is a 4-5 hour drive to Milwaukee if that is the case. I truly doubt that will be the case and am guessing her support base will be much more complete in Knoxville.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I can't imagine much more than an annual visit to the Mayo Clinic for something like Alzheimer's.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Ditto...wish my first post was as good. Great article.

I do too... I'm still living with the chronic effects of your first post. BTW, does the rash ever go away?

Your Ol' Pal Boo

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I keep tellin' ya, Boo: ointment. And, not that 5% stuff. 10%. At least.

Reaction Score
very sweet article. the part about their car ride breaks my heart every time. i always knew pat would put the program before herself and step aside. there was no other way for her. true class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom