Summitt Hoops AAC Women's Basketball Preview | The Boneyard

Summitt Hoops AAC Women's Basketball Preview

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
In case you are interested, I wrote an AAC preview for women's basketball at Summitt Hoops. I didn't do picks because, for example, I thought it might be insulting to readers to say hey I think UConn is going to win the conference this year. What I did do is talk to a bunch of coaches to ask about who will be some of the key players across the league. I wanted to uncover the players I thought would be most compelling.

You can find it here.

Comments welcome. Thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In case you are interested, I wrote an AAC preview for women's basketball at Summitt Hoops. I didn't do picks because, for example, I thought it might be insulting to readers to say hey I think UConn is going to win the conference this year. What I did do is talk to a bunch of coaches to ask about who will be some of the key players across the league. I wanted to uncover the players I thought would be most compelling.

You can find it here.

Comments welcome. Thanks.
And thank you for being the first AAC conference preview to mention Azura Stevens.

Reaction Score
Very nice read, I look forward to follow the progress of Iimar’i Thomas and Blackshell-Fair.

Huston could be a team to watch in a few years.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts.
Unlike in previous years, last year's AAC teams mostly -- mostly -- had something a UConn fan could like. I'm thinking of Anna Owens at Cincy; a Houston team that was a lot grittier than their record would indicate -- good for them. Let's see more; a USF team that will pose the biggest challenge for UConn (though, to be honest, I am not a fan of either Laksa or Jesperson); Alicia Froling from SMU, who I could watch all day and all night. She's a real monster up front; a Temple team that will be interesting to watch with their star one the sidelines (how do they cope?); a Tulane team we all find scary, though we cannot really articulate why. Then there are the Tulsas of the league, and who knows about Wichita State. We can only hope for competitive entries.

Anyway, thank you for the articles. I think the idea of compelling players was a great one. Making Kia one of UConn's three was spot on as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Your efforts are much appreciated. Some nice stories. I am sure comments will come in from all sides over time.

Regarding UConn, I am sure you will get some push back when you say a 12th NC is not a foregone conclusion. I would say we are a heavy favorite. :rolleyes:

Also, I guess I look at "Players to watch" a little differently. Your choices of Gabby, Kia and Katie Lou are great players who are established and we have a pretty good idea what they will do

I would use this category on players whose overall contributions are less certain but are important to the NC run

1) Crystal Dangerfield- Does she take the mantle of Moriah Jefferson as the unquestioned driver of the ship?
2) Azure Stevens - Is she the next coming of Breanna Stewart?
3) Megan Walker - Can the Nations top ranked freshman live up to her HS reputation and become a major contributor?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Your efforts are much appreciated. Some nice stories. I am sure comments will come in from all sides over time.

Regarding UConn, I am sure you will get some push back when you say a 12th NC is not a foregone conclusion. I would say we are a heavy favorite. :rolleyes:

Also, I guess I look at "Players to watch" a little differently. Your choices of Gabby, Kia and Katie Lou are great players who are established and we have a pretty good idea what they will do

I would use this category on players whose overall contributions are less certain but are important to the NC run

1) Crystal Dangerfield- Does she take the mantle of Moriah Jefferson as the unquestioned driver of the ship?
2) Azure Stevens - Is she the next coming of Breanna Stewart?
3) Megan Walker - Can the Nations top ranked freshman live up to her HS reputation and become a major contributor?
Good points. I struggled with what to put in the UConn section because they aren’ t really a mystery. Your points would go well in the bulleted section I had on UConn stories. Thanks.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
And thank you for being the first AAC conference preview to mention Azura Stevens.
UConn doesn’ t have the best track record with transfers but Stevens could be special. I have heard some people say she could be the best player in the country while others think she isn’ the best player on her own team. Seeing how they mesh will be fascinating and fun.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Very nice read, I look forward to follow the progress of Iimar’i Thomas and Blackshell-Fair.

Huston could be a team to watch in a few years.
Coach Hughey, more than anyone, wanted to talk about how good his kids are becoming as people. He wants to win but seemed more important to him to develop good adults.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Man, thanks for doing this write-up and sharing it with us. I've only read the UCF and Cincinnati pieces so far, and I really like your approach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom