Summer Vacations | The Boneyard

Summer Vacations

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We all know the world has changed, and summer won't be what it has been for any of us. That said, for the state of Maine to publish this seems self destructive. The 14 day quarantine implemented across New England was merely a response to travelers from metro NYC. They expect that to still be in place in June? July? So they are telling people they can't go camping in Maine and go hiking? Or fishing? Or grocery shopping for 14 days? Total visitors to Maine under this policy will be zero.

95825958_10159161861940559_7335012016454631424_n.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maine is a relatively sparce state, mostly rural with a less then robust healthcare system outside major population centers.

They also get bombed with tourists from north and south every year. Maybe they don't want to be Florida or New Orleans.

They'd be finding dead people in wooded cabins for years.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There is no way I'm taking my family on a vacation this summer. I think i might rent a bouncy house for a week and label it "Disney World".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We all know the world has changed, and summer won't be what it has been for any of us. That said, for the state of Maine to publish this seems self destructive. The 14 day quarantine implemented across New England was merely a response to travelers from metro NYC. They expect that to still be in place in June? July? So they are telling people they can't go camping in Maine and go hiking? Or fishing? Or grocery shopping for 14 days? Total visitors to Maine under this policy will be zero.

View attachment 53889
Where did this come from? I searched for it online and it led to your post.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nobody is going to Maine this summer.
We were set to go to the North Atlantic Blues Festival in Rockland. Then 4 days at Acadia.

All has gone to Craptown as our deposits were all refunded.

Looks like the swimming pool and Dove's Kitchen and Grill all summer long.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We were going to Va Beach in mid-Sep. That still may be a go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because it's for lovers, silly.

Lived there for almost 9 years. As a born and bred CT Yankee I found Va Beach to be an interesting vacation location. Seems like Jersey shore or Delaware beaches are just as good and if was going to Va Beach I'd rather keep going south to the NC Outer Banks.

Va Beach does have a great strip of beaches and hotels going almost 30 city blocks and the boardwalk is plenty wide enough for walkers, runners, bikers, etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lived there for almost 9 years. As a born and bred CT Yankee I found Va Beach to be an interesting vacation location. Seems like Jersey shore or Delaware beaches are just as good and if was going to Va Beach I'd rather keep going south to the NC Outer Banks.

Va Beach does have a great strip of beaches and hotels going almost 30 city blocks and the boardwalk is plenty wide enough for walkers, runners, bikers, etc.
I just remember that my father and step-mother went there during their honeymoon and they brought back a huge beach towel with that "Virginia Beach is for Lovers" motto with a big heart on it. Stopped there once myself on a road trip down south with a couple friends in college and had a memorable night on the beach with some girls we met at the hotel.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Any particular reason for Va Beach?
I was lucky enough to attend a two week course at William and Mary a few years ago. The SO flew in for the weekend spent on Va Beach and we had a great time. We like staying on the beach just off peak, the weather is still nice and it's less crowded. We don't feel like driving much further from CT and we already did Ocean City. Jersey doesn't seem to interest us ever since we went to a Rutgers game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to attend a two week course at William and Mary a few years ago. The SO flew in for the weekend spent on Va Beach and we had a great time. We like staying on the beach just off peak, the weather is still nice and it's less crowded. We don't feel like driving much further from CT and we already did Ocean City. Jersey doesn't seem to interest us ever since we went to a Rutgers game.

Nice. Shoulder season in early spring and especially in the fall, is the time for knowledgeable travelers.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This is a good question . I still would like to go somewhere this summer , maybe somewhere rural like VT, or drive to Virginia.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think states have to be careful about things like this.

That mandate is basically going to drive their tourism business out of business.

Hotels, restaurants and B&Bs that rely on that season to make their year cannot simply just take a year off.

Reaction Score
My daughter has a 7 day rental on Block Island which requires a 2 week quarantine. Does this mean she can’t leave the island after her rental is over?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My daughter has a 7 day rental on Block Island which requires a 2 week quarantine. Does this mean she can’t leave the island after her rental is over?

From what I understand, the quarantine is for two weeks when you arrive. If you are contagious and coming from a different area they want you to not go any where for two weeks before you start going outside and mixing with others.

Some places also require you to self quarantine when you return home from vacation based on location of where you vacationed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Have already paid for our annual week in Ocean City NJ with my wife's brother's family in August, but NJ and CT are both in the Northeast Consortium.

Maine is self sabotaging their own tourism industry. No vacationer is going to stretch any length of time by two full summer weeks indoors.

Reaction Score
They're native Maine folks who would put every single Masshole and cruise visitor into quarantine for the entire summer every year pandemic or not if they could regardless of the economic boost tourism generates for the state.

On a serious note, Maine really has only 2 major hospitals (Maine Medical in Portland and Eastern Maine in Bangor) with a series of regional hospitals in the 'larger cities' like Central Maine in Lewiston and Maine General in Augusta and a boatload of community hospitals scattered across the rest of the State. The network just meets the need of their currnet popualtion, which I believe is the oldest in the country, thogh I know a lot fo folsk who travel down to Boston for major issues. The State could not handle a major outbreak among tourists, who increase the State's population by 25% or more on any given summer weekend.

Reaction Score
Have already paid for our annual week in Ocean City NJ with my wife's brother's family in August, but NJ and CT are both in the Northeast Consortium.

Maine is self sabotaging their own tourism industry. No vacationer is going to stretch any length of time by two full summer weeks indoors.

Fingers crossed for you on your Ocean City vacation. It's a great place, but I like Wildwood (Crest) better. Nevertheless, I have neighbors where are very nervous about the Shore. The Shore overall has not been hit as bad as the North part of the State, so there is concern that vacationers will bring Covid-19 with them in mass as the hospital network down there is a lot smaller than what North and Central Jersey have. I believe that there are rental restrictions already in place for the summer, which I think Cape May County handles. I have not heard of any major events on the Shore being cancelled; but, a lot of stuff in North Jersey has already been canned - everyone's Memorial Day Parade, my town's summer carnival & fireworks show in June, the big Ridgewood 4th of July Parade, a bunch fo concerts at MetLife and PNC Bank Arts Center, etc.

Reaction Score
We had planned to visit my daughter who was planning to take a course at the University of Dublin this summer and sadly, that got canceled. So after months of not knowing what to do, just yesterday we booked five days on Chappaquiddick in late July. If you stay there, you are pretty much quarantined anyway. We drive our Jeep out to the outer reaches of the island so no worries there. We also bring a ton of food with us because everything is so damn expensive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom