OT: - Summer NA Powwows | The Boneyard

OT: Summer NA Powwows

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What a relief!! The whole "jiggle contest" thing had me thinking What the ....!!!! :eek:

Reaction Score
Just a few videos featuring the beautiful NA girls who danced at the 2018 Winnebago Powwow the weekend before last. The "Jingle Dresses" are all custom made and mostly by the dancers and their relatives. Each one is unique. I meant to post a different video of the teen girls but I'll post that in a few.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This might be slightly OT, but those video clips got me thinking about the cultural significance of drumming throughout almost every corner of the Earth. There may have been some cross pollination, but I wouldn't be surprised if most cultures developed that independent of other cultures. The form of drums varies but the function is fairly universal.

Reaction Score
This might be slightly OT, but those video clips got me thinking about the cultural significance of drumming throughout almost every corner of the Earth. There may have been some cross pollination, but I wouldn't be surprised if most cultures developed that independent of other cultures. The form of drums varies but the function is fairly universal.

I'd like to hear from any posters about what they think about the songs/singing. Can you relate to it etc? It's really the main reason I record these videos especially at this particular powwow because they have a state of the art sound system.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'd like to hear from any posters about what they think about the songs/singing. Can you relate to it etc? It's really the main reason I record these videos especially at this particular powwow because they have a state of the art sound system.

It's interesting because it's so different from anything else I hear. I've been exposed to it a bit in tv and movies, but that's about it. It's not something I would listen to a lot probably. Not really put it on in the background and chill music, it really grabs your attention.

Reaction Score
It's really about the whole experience of being there in the summer. Seeing the beautiful female dancers and seeing the men dressed like they did in the old days acting out the things they did then. The huge sound system they have really makes the songs powerful. Being there is a lot different than watching it on a computer.
I used to go to them and dig the songs but wish I could hear them again. Now with the video cam I can do that.

Reaction Score

Tell me what you think of this video. It's one of my favorites and the song gets everyone in the mood to dance ( even the non-natives):

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tell me what you think of this video. It's one of my favorites and the song gets everyone in the mood to dance ( even the non-natives):

It's cool seeing some really young dancers out there getting into it. Some very ornate and fancy costumes for some of the dancers.

I'm curious about your reaction to the songs. There aren't lyrics per se are there? Is there a story or narrative that is associated with the songs, or does it bring certain imagery to mind?

Reaction Score
I was in the stands at the Pendleton Roundup a few years back listening to the cheesy announcer run out of steam when he announced one last sing. To tell the truth I was near nodding off when the slow drumming started and a few older male voices began to weave in and out of the rhythm and then....there must have been about fifty or more women in the stands who stood and cut loose with one of the wildest, most spine tingling things I've ever heard. It was totally unexpected, the crowd roared which made the women sing even louder. We're still here, they said, we're not going away. To this day if I sit and think about it the memory makes the hair stand up on my arms plus the few left on my head.

Reaction Score
It's cool seeing some really young dancers out there getting into it. Some very ornate and fancy costumes for some of the dancers.

I'm curious about your reaction to the songs. There aren't lyrics per se are there? Is there a story or narrative that is associated with the songs, or does it bring certain imagery to mind?

I don't know enough about it to make any intelligent comment. A lot of them sound like chants. Some songs just seem to say "hey-yah" in different ways. I'm going to do a video of some of the singers to really get the lowdown.

On that song though they're singing something in the Omaha language. I'm not fluent in the language although my parents spoke it all the time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't know enough about it to make any intelligent comment. A lot of them sound like chants. Some songs just seem to say "hey-yah" in different ways. I'm going to do a video of some of the singers to really get the lowdown.

On that song though they're singing something in the Omaha language. I'm not fluent in the language although my parents spoke it all the time.

The majority of music I listen to is in English, but sometimes I hear stuff in other languages. Since I can't understand the lyrics, then I just have to focus on the sound overall.

My parents exposed me to classical music fairly early on. Some of those have stories that go along with them. I can definitely visualize some of it in my mind as I listen, stuff like the 1812 Overture, Four Seasons, Nutcracker Suite.

Reaction Score
The majority of music I listen to is in English, but sometimes I hear stuff in other languages. Since I can't understand the lyrics, then I just have to focus on the sound overall.

My parents exposed me to classical music fairly early on. Some of those have stories that go along with them. I can definitely visualize some of it in my mind as I listen, stuff like the 1812 Overture, Four Seasons, Nutcracker Suite.

Hook your computer to a stereo or some nice computer speakers and listen to the first video I posted. Listen loud with a lot of bass. That's probably the best video I got this year. It's not about lyrics. It's about the beat! It's about vibe!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom