Summer Men's Basketball Doldrums - Anyone watching any old games? | The Boneyard

Summer Men's Basketball Doldrums - Anyone watching any old games?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I watched last years UConn/Cuse game at MSG. I was at the game so I enjoyed watching the televised version.

Man we looked good. Cobb was a surprise scoring 13 points including a 3 pointer. I was totally drinking the new buff Cobby Koolaid. I figured he'd be a monster for us. Smith played well too. Knocking off #15 cuse at the Garden... I was thinking "we're back baby!"

Anyway, anyone re-watching any games?

Reaction Score
I wait until late October and replay all four championships to get ready for the upcoming season.

The '99 'ship is on VCR. I need to put it on a DVD somehow. I have the game, ESPN pre-game, CBS pre-game, post-game and even the first few minutes of the ESPN SportsCenter with Rich Eisen announcing our win. He had hair back then. So did I. :oops:

Reaction Score
I’ve been watching new Big East games on YouTube. Especially games at Butler, Xavier and Creighton.

They seem like fantastic environments! I hope to get to Hinkle Fieldhouse one day

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
IDK why, but for some reason I've been watching the entire 2005-2006 regular season. Thankfully I don't think I have the last game recorded. We watched it at my cousin's house in Dallas where I was visiting for the weekend. He's a Tar Hole fan. GM had already knocked them out.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I wait until late October and replay all four championships to get ready for the upcoming season.

The '99 'ship is on VCR. I need to put it on a DVD somehow. I have the game, ESPN pre-game, CBS pre-game, post-game and even the first few minutes of the ESPN SportsCenter with Rich Eisen announcing our win. He had hair back then. So did I. :oops:

I have two versions of the 1999 title game. One is just the regular CBS broadcast. The other is something like a 5 hour marathon. Extended pre-game and post-game shows on Ch. 3 in Hartford, with the game sandwiched in between.

Tate George and Joe Tessitore, who I assume was the Ch. 3 sports anchor at that time, were broadcasting from the parking lot at Tropicana Field. We were at the game, so afterward we were in a huge crowd behind the broadcast platform engaging in various UCONN cheers, and the cameras kept panning the crowd behind Tate and Joe. Tate even sang a song, "Heaven Must Be Like This."

A wild night that will never be forgotten. We've been to all of the Final Fours, but the first will always remain the best.

Reaction Score
I’ve been watching new Big East games on YouTube. Especially games at Butler, Xavier and Creighton.

They seem like fantastic environments! I hope to get to Hinkle Fieldhouse one day
I’ve been doing the same. Makes me depressed to be in the aac for another year.

Reaction Score
Of course i'm watching old stuff.

I'm like the Uncle Rico of the internet. 100% stuck in the past.

Reaction Score
Man, I need to dig up my old VHS tapes to find my '99 championship game. I'd love to get a copy on DVD with all the pre/post game coverage like mentioned above. I also love to rewatch the Elite 8 game vs. Michigan State from 2014. Easily one of the best games I ever attended - unbelievable atmosphere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Man, I need to dig up my old VHS tapes to find my '99 championship game. I'd love to get a copy on DVD with all the pre/post game coverage like mentioned above. I also love to rewatch the Elite 8 game vs. Michigan State from 2014. Easily one of the best games I ever attended - unbelievable atmosphere.

More

Reaction Score
Of course i'm watching old stuff.

I'm like the Uncle Rico of the internet. 100% stuck in the past.
Of course. Nothing better than the old vintage Games with classic announcers , crazy sounding crowd and rough and tumble style of play. Jim Nantz still the best tho. I remember I used to get chills as a kid watching Brett Musburger do the college football intros when he would say “you are looking live......”. Used to get me so amped. They don’t really have intros to games anymore like they used to. I used to love that - everything so different now. Ahhhh not like it used to be. So glad I grew up when I did. Great sports memories that will be in my head forever. So many classic calls. Most announcers are awful now. Still a few good ones.

Reaction Score
Of course. Nothing better than the old vintage Games with classic announcers , crazy sounding crowd and rough and tumble style of play. Jim Nantz still the best tho. I remember I used to get chills as a kid watching Brett Musburger do the college football intros when he would say “you are looking live.”. Used to get me so amped. They don’t really have intros to games anymore like they used to. I used to love that - everything so different now. Ahhhh not like it used to be. So glad I grew up when I did. Great sports memories that will be in my head forever. So many classic calls. Most announcers are awful now. Still a few good ones.

Re: the crazy sounding crowds...

I was talking to someone that works in TV production about that. I said “I’ve been going to sporting events for years and when I’m there, the crowd doesn’t sound any different than it’s always sounded but when I watch on TV it seems so much quieter.”

He said the issue was two-fold A) many channels just don’t put the same time and effort into crowd mic-ing as they used to B) Counterintuitively the microphones they’re using are better, thus producing a “cleaner” sound so there’s not that background, ambient “ahhhhh” sound from the crowd.

Reaction Score
Re: the crazy sounding crowds...

I was talking to someone that works in TV production about that. I said “I’ve been going to sporting events for years and when I’m there, the crowd doesn’t sound any different than it’s always sounded but when I watch on TV it seems so much quieter.”

He said the issue was two-fold A) many channels just don’t put the same time and effort into crowd mic-ing as they used to B) Counterintuitively the microphones they’re using are better, thus producing a “cleaner” sound so there’s not that background, ambient “ahhhhh” sound from the crowd.

That and everyone's texting their Mom.

Reaction Score
That and everyone's texting their Mom.

I knew someone was going throw something like that out there lol. But, go back and watch the Flutie Hail Mary game. The Orange Bowl was half empty but the whole broadcast makes it sound like 150,000 people are going bonkers on each play.

Reaction Score
The crowds just seemed live-er and more exciting back then (pre 2005 ish-to put a number on it) You can’t even rush the floor really anymore after a huge win or take Down the goal Posts in football - granted it was slightly unsafe- but tell me you didn’t love seeing that back in the day when an underdog wud upset a fave at home?

Reaction Score
The crowds just seemed live-er and more exciting back then (pre 2005 ish-to put a number on it) You can’t even rush the floor really anymore after a huge win or take Down the goal Posts in football - granted it was slightly unsafe- but tell me you didn’t love seeing that back in the day when an underdog wud upset a fave at home?

Ha well, I can assure you people have rushed the floor/field in college post 2004...I’ve done it!

Reaction Score
I knew someone was going throw something like that out there lol. But, go back and watch the Flutie Hail Mary game. The Orange Bowl was half empty but the whole broadcast makes it sound like 150,000 people are going bonkers on each play.
That was one of my first college football memories- I was probably about 8-9 years old- I remember it was the Friday after Thanksgiving(Brent Musburger was doing the game of course- I believe- And my parents were trying to go to Constitution Plaza in Hartford to watch the Christmas light display or something. my dad finally realized how crazy the game was and we ended up waiting for it to finish and then headed to Hartford - Bernie Kosar was Miami qb. Classic times. Great sports memories from the mid 80s and thru the 90s When cable TV was just starting and things were still kind of raw and uncut. Birth of espn- not how espn is now(like TMZ part 2) Everything was perfect mesh back then. it wasn’t pre-1980 when tv was still kinda not fully expanded (no cable, one game per time slot etc...) but also wasnt post 2000 ish when things got kind of corny and too glitzy. Perfect time to grow up. Just one guys opinion. Lol

Reaction Score
Ha well, I can assure you people have rushed the floor/field in college post 2004...I’ve done it!
I agree it still happens from time to time and that’s great but not as much as used to be. I always find it so funny when the yellow security jacketed guys are so serious about holding the crowd back - let people live

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To every thing there is a season. This is baseball and golf. Soon football.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I used to love summer, but years of watching the Mets has made this the worst time of the year for me.

So glad football is almost back.

Reaction Score
With the crazy NBA off-season and my man kemba going to the Celtics and all the other craziness in free agency and uconn looking like they are climbing out of the doldrums of the Ollie era, this Might be the first time ive been more excited about basketball in general as opposed to The nfl season. I love baseball but I’m so ready for football and uconn hoops to start

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I used to love summer, but years of watching the Mets has made this the worst time of the year for me.

So glad football is almost back.

You must not be a Jets fan (along with Mets).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Luckily I am not, although it looks like they may have found a franchise QB.

I think they are finally going to compete for the playoffs. Have made several very savvy moves and picks. I hate them, so this is not good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom