Summary of what's going on | The Boneyard

Summary of what's going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
That's a 180 from what he was saying earlier about us and the MAC. Come on Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Here is an article from Pete Thamel on what's going on. Basically, our fate in the ACC depends on ND.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/s...ristian-putting-football-future-in-doubt.html
Chip Brown has posted that TX is pushing for ND in the Big 12 for all sports except football.

If Uconn is hitched to ND for the ACC, kiss that option goodbye. There is no reason for ND to give up its network and $$ for FB when there appear to be other conferences that will give them the BE deal.

Reaction Score
At least the ACC would rather have us than Rutgers.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The Big 12 would make little sense logistically for the Irish. The deal described in this article is a sweetheart deal for the Irish.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 would make little sense logistically for the Irish. The deal described in this article is a sweetheart deal for the Irish.
I really don't think the Irish want their Olympic sports teams in the ACC. The mouthpieces keep talking about it, but the one place where Notre Dame isn't popular is the southeast. Northeast, midwest, rust belt and even west coast they have a big following. The ACC losing a deep south school for UConn would probably help land the Irish.

Reaction Score
Thamel offers a whole lot of nothing in that article

Reaction Score
texas may push for nd in all but football, but will anyone else go for it?

Reaction Score
The BCS should remove their auto bid, that would force their hand, and the ACC, would be the easiest road to a BCS bid with Vtech, and Free Shoes University being the main competitors.

Reaction Score
you've got a better shot at winning the lottery five times in a row than the bcs removing nd's auto bid.

Reaction Score
Thamel offers a whole lot of nothing in that article

huh? That's the most I've heard that seems real in about a week. First, Thamel did a 180 on the MAC thing. 2nd, it's obvious he has spoken to ND, Big 12, ACC and/or ESPN who have already worked out the tv $ numbers. Plus, this is the NY Times who ND would talk to. Not some talk radio guy in the midwest or a courant reporter.

I'd say this is likely to happen.

Reaction Score
Since the ACC would deliver the Bos-Wash megalopolis, I'd have to agree. We seem to be in a very good position.

Reaction Score
huh? That's the most I've heard that seems real in about a week. First, Thamel did a 180 on the MAC thing. 2nd, it's obvious he has spoken to ND, Big 12, ACC and/or ESPN who have already worked out the tv $ numbers. Plus, this is the NY Times who ND would talk to. Not some talk radio guy in the midwest or a courant reporter.

All that stuff has been said before. Everything. This isn't the first article that said ND to ACC then they take UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Many more coherent message board posts than that hodge podge. Thamel is usually on top of his game too.

Reaction Score
All that stuff has been said before. Everything. This isn't the first article that said ND to ACC then they take UConn.

Right, but the difference is now the Big East is truly teetering on the brink. With the Big 12 stabilizing, TCU leaving, and likely a follow by Louisville, maybe UWV, ND has a reason to get motivated to find a new home.

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk -

ND would be totally satisfied to have their Olympic Sports in the ACC. ACC would be the entire East Coast and include BC, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Maryland, UVA, VT, Duke, UNC, and Miami, which can't be considered deep south schools. Remember, ND was already in an Olympic Conference with VT, Pitt, UConn, BC, Syracuse, and Miami, so it's not like this is a real change for them.

Where ND does not fit is in the Big 12, period. In addition, although ND is in the Midwest, they have little in common with large state land grant universities.

In my opinion, if ND has to go to a conference, it will be the ACC.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Many more coherent message board posts than that hodge podge. Thamel is usually on top of his game too.

God forbid an article come out that puts UConn in a favorable opinion. You are like a Dementor from Harry Potter...everyone's misery sustains you doesn't it?

You are usually a really good poster but your paranoia is unbearable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
God forbid an article come out that puts UConn in a favorable opinion. You are like a Dementor from arry Potter...everyone's misery sustains you doesn't it?

You are usually a really good poster but your paranoia is unbearable.

I think there is zero chance that Notre Dame goes anywhere near the ACC. There are scenarios where Uconn and Rutgers could end up in the ACC. Thamel's is not one of them.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Why not? Notre Dame likes its influence over the east coast and values its olympic programs more than you'd think. A scenario where ND agrees to play 5 or 6 ACC teams a year in football without actually joining the conference would be a good compromise for both sides.

Here's a picture of what the ACC is probably doing while it bides its time:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/ACC/view/the-accs-big-prize-notre-dame

ND joining as a partial member would fill that picture nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom