OT: Suggestions for a good in-ground hoop under $300 | The Boneyard

OT: Suggestions for a good in-ground hoop under $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Planning to install an in ground hoop in the driveway of our new house for my 2nd grader. Any suggestions on a reliable hoop? Also, what should be a reasonable labor cost for putting it in, as unfortunately i am not very handy and will do it myself as a last resort.

Thanks!

Reaction Score
I'd think a handyman would require about 4 hours and $50/hour. I would use Amazon and Dick's Sporting Goods customer reviews. Just make sure that the rim is neither too tight or too loose and that the hoop is secured with concrete/post mix. I've found that the assembly being done perfectly is most important to it feeling like a quality product with a rim that is forgiving enough to be fun to play on.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't think you are going to get this done for that price including installation. Cheap ones will rust in no time. Moderately priced ones from 20 years ago will rust gradually. That's my experience, at least.

Reaction Score
I bought a $900-1000 in ground hoop at Dicks for 1/2 price(gorilla)
It was a floor model that they change out when the new mode
comes in.

They don't do I every year. I forgot what month it was.
It's worth looking into it. If one store doesn't have it try the others.

Reaction Score
Does it have to be in-ground?
Doesn't have to be, but they do look much nicer and stable. And since I was doing it for tge new house, I figured it would be worth considering I guess.

Reaction Score
I'd think a handyman would require about 4 hours and $50/hour. I would use Amazon and Dick's Sporting Goods customer reviews. Just make sure that the rim is neither too tight or too loose and that the hoop is secured with concrete/post mix. I've found that the assembly being done perfectly is most important to it feeling like a quality product with a rim that is forgiving enough to be fun to play on.
Well that's helpful. It gives me a ballpark number for cost of the product + labor.
Thanks!

Reaction Score
I bought a $900-1000 in ground hoop at Dicks for 1/2 price(gorilla)
It was a floor model that they change out when the new mode
comes in.

They don't do I every year. I forgot what month it was.
It's worth looking into it. If one store doesn't have it try the others.
Gonna check that option. Thanks!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Doesn't have to be, but they do look much nicer and stable. And since I was doing it for tge new house, I figured it would be worth considering I guess.
It's much better to have an in-ground installation. If you can avoid it, it's better to not have a backboard attached to your house so that every shot vibrates through the house.

Reaction Score
It's much better to have an in-ground installation. If you can avoid it, it's better to not have a backboard attached to your house so that every shot vibrates through the house.
Maybe I need to get the budget a tad higher and just go for the in ground.

Reaction Score
For a second grader, maybe you should think about a portable cheaper model to see if he actually uses it, then you can drop a grand. I have a garage filled with stuff my 7th grader "needed" then tossed aside over the years.

Reaction Score
Yea you aren't getting in ground hoop for $300. The footing itself for a hoop has to be 4 ft deep and 2 ft wide then a sonotube and concrete. In my opinion it takes at an absolute minimum 500 lb of concrete and that's if you want to skimp and be cheap. 800-1000 lb is much more stable and safer.

Typical install is around $500 itself. A legitimate hoop that will last will run at least a grand. I think pro dunk hoops are better than goalrilla hoops. Dominator hoops are some of the best I've come across but heafty price tag

Right now your best bet is a portable hoop until your kid get a little older and you get about a 2k budget

Reaction Score

Anyone have any experience with The Beast by Spalding? I'm not sure where I want to put mine as in new house and driveway not that flat but we have a circle drive that is flat but would look silly there probably!

It gets good reviews on Amazon but sounds like pro installation required.

Reaction Score

Anyone have any experience with The Beast by Spalding? I'm not sure where I want to put mine as in new house and driveway not that flat but we have a circle drive that is flat but would look silly there probably!

We have it because I wanted something portable that we could move around the driveway. Works great. Very stable. It doesn't move at all from shots. Even my bricks off the backboard! I would definitely recommend it. I paid someone to put it together because I just didn't have the time. I think they charged me $200 to put it together.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure these were the same hoops at doug Gottlieb house. They seemed sturdy and very stable for portable hoops

Reaction Score
My dad secure my hoop to the house as a kid; I think in probably 1984 or so. It's still up and I'd bet it still works. It did rattle the house but my pop was an engineer and his installation was WWIII proof. I realize I've added nothing to the convo, just wanted to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom