Sugarloaf Mountain | The Boneyard

Sugarloaf Mountain

Reaction Score
Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine just approved a pretty massive expansion plan. Most notably 52 ski in/out single family home lots on trails with snowmaking. Anyone ever skied here? What other mountains in New England offer this type of on trail single family home real estate?

Sugarloaf's Massive Expansion Plan Approved

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread. No one has ever skied the Loaf? Is it worth the trip?

Reaction Score
I have friends that recently sold their cabin, which was very nearby, but not technically at the resort. It’s a great resort. The golf course is nice and the skiing is very good. The only real issue I have with it vs most of the bigger resorts in Vermont and NH is there is nothing else in town. You need to rely on the resort for dining etc. There’s a few places off mountain, but I really mean a few. The area is great if you want to have toys like 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. My buddy had a couple of 4-wheelers and he took me on a long tour through an extensive trail system. It was literally endless. You can actually see it on Google Earth. It is very impressive.

Stowe, VT is kind of the benchmark in New England for a quintessential ski town. Bars, breweries, restaurants, little white church etc. We have a place there and have been enjoying the town for 20 years. Our kids love it too and someday they will bring their kids there. They never get bored in Stowe. Summer and Fall are active with some different things to do, lots of restaurants, bars, even a little movie theater and multiple golf courses. At Sugarloaf they will need to play golf at the resort, mountain bike or play tennis in the summer but there isn’t the abundance of festivals, mini golf, bowling, shops, pizza places etc. that Stowe and other areas have. Sugarloaf offers a lot though.

I would say there are three things I prefer about Sugarloaf by comparison. One is that there is a lot of true wilderness around, which I enjoy sometimes. That part of Maine is very wild. Second, is people there can ride dirt bikes and do other stuff in the woods without a care. There’s nobody around if you go to the right spots. It almost felt like being in Montana somewhere off grid. There wasn’t a ton of rules or anything, just people enjoying the outdoors and a lot of moose. Lastly, I felt like there was a good sense of community within the resort. The staff and locals seemed to know each other. When we went to happy hour at the big bar in the lodge on a winter evening the first time we were there our friends knew a bunch of the people and we all hung out together. They were friendly and down to earth. The resort at Stowe feels far more exclusive and geared toward travelers than regulars. When we went back to Sugarloaf in the fall on another occasion, I played golf on my own twice and was invited to have lunch with the locals (second homeowners, not local really) that I was paired up with both times. I have to admit, the last time we were there, I was really sad to leave. It was a great experience. It felt a little like going back to the good old days at times.

Reaction Score
I have friends that recently sold their cabin, which was very nearby, but not technically at the resort. It’s a great resort. The golf course is nice and the skiing is very good. The only real issue I have with it vs most of the bigger resorts in Vermont and NH is there is nothing else in town. You need to rely on the resort for dining etc. There’s a few places off mountain, but I really mean a few. The area is great if you want to have toys like 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. My buddy had a couple of 4-wheelers and he took me on a long tour through an extensive trail system. It was literally endless. You can actually see it on Google Earth. It is very impressive.

Stowe, VT is kind of the benchmark in New England for a quintessential ski town. Bars, breweries, restaurants, little white church etc. We have a place there and have been enjoying the town for 20 years. Our kids love it too and someday they will bring their kids there. They never get bored in Stowe. Summer and Fall are active with some different things to do, lots of restaurants, bars, even a little movie theater and multiple golf courses. At Sugarloaf they will need to play golf at the resort, mountain bike or play tennis in the summer but there isn’t the abundance of festivals, mini golf, bowling, shops, pizza places etc. that Stowe and other areas have. Sugarloaf offers a lot though.

I would say there are three things I prefer about Sugarloaf by comparison. One is that there is a lot of true wilderness around, which I enjoy sometimes. That part of Maine is very wild. Second, is people there can ride dirt bikes and do other stuff in the woods without a care. There’s nobody around if you go to the right spots. It almost felt like being in Montana somewhere off grid. There wasn’t a ton of rules or anything, just people enjoying the outdoors and a lot of moose. Lastly, I felt like there was a good sense of community within the resort. The staff and locals seemed to know each other. When we went to happy hour at the big bar in the lodge on a winter evening the first time we were there our friends knew a bunch of the people and we all hung out together. They were friendly and down to earth. The resort at Stowe feels far more exclusive and geared toward travelers than regulars. When we went back to Sugarloaf in the fall on another occasion, I played golf on my own twice and was invited to have lunch with the locals (second homeowners, not local really) that I was paired up with both times. I have to admit, the last time we were there, I was really sad to leave. It was a great experience. It felt a little like going back to the good old days at times.
Thanks so much for the in-depth reply! It sounds like you've spent some time up there, so I appreciate the insight. I was imagining it being very much as you described, and I'm definitely gonna have to get up there at some point this fall to check it out.

What seems unique to me is that there appears to be a ton of room for growth. They put out a 10 year plan every decade (Sugarloaf 2030 they call it), and it sounds like they have a number of projects in the pipeline. Now of course it should be taken with a grain of salt until the shovels hit the dirt, but is interesting to picture nonetheless.

What I'd be curious to know more about is how much demand there is for rentals during the season. If I decided to buy one of the single family home lots in the West Mountain Expansion, I would hope to rent the cabin for a number of days during the season to help with the costs. Do you know if there is a lot of demand?

Reaction Score
I have skied the Loaf but so long ago as to be irrelevant to this discussion. But I will always remember it. In downhill practice on the Narrow Gage I hit some VERY unexpected ruts near a control gate caused by some guys practicing a very stupid line. Onto my head and into the woods at high speed. Very lucky, only a hole in my helmet. Uncontrolled laughter afterward.

Reaction Score
I don't ski but I went up to a golf weekend every fall for 10+ years. It's a good 6 hours from the Hartford area. I would break it up with a night in Portland on the way up, but the trip back tired and hungover was no fun. Definitely a factor if you want to use it often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom