Sue's Making Me Nervous | The Boneyard

Sue's Making Me Nervous

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Bird hasn’t talked about retirement, and based on her success this season and Stewart’s hope that they win more titles together, it isn’t coming for at least a few more years. Despite that, the basketball legend has been trying her best to help her young teammates prepare for when she’s no longer there.

“I didn’t ask them to do anything for me,” Bird said. “This wasn’t about me. This was 100 percent about them, and just trying to grow them up quick. I just wanted to bridge that gap as fast as I could, and they’ve been great. They trust me; they trusted me from day one. And that’s all a point guard needs. From there they made it pretty easy.”

Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird Enjoy Magical Season With Seattle Storm As UConn Fans Watch Closely

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If Sue truly wants to play in the '20 Olympics, I don't see how she can be thinking about retiring from the WNBA. It would be hard to stay on top of her game if she's not playing professionally.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"A year ago before the All-Star break, Bird gleefully pondered a scenario in which she walk away if she ever won another title and go out on top like John Elway following a Super Bowl win at 38.

And now?

“I’m not even thinking about retiring,” she said Wednesday.

Does that mean Bird is returning for a 17th season?

“It means I’m still under contract,” she said smiling."

After her third WNBA championship, Storm legend Sue Bird ‘not even thinking about retiring’

Can't you just see that little impish, Mona Lisa smile.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
"Bird hasn’t talked about retirement, and based on her success this season and Stewart’s hope that they win more titles together, it isn’t coming for at least a few more years. Despite that, the basketball legend has been trying her best to help her young teammates prepare for when she’s no longer there.

“I didn’t ask them to do anything for me,” Bird said. “This wasn’t about me. This was 100 percent about them, and just trying to grow them up quick. I just wanted to bridge that gap as fast as I could, and they’ve been great. They trust me; they trusted me from day one. And that’s all a point guard needs. From there they made it pretty easy.”

Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird Enjoy Magical Season With Seattle Storm As UConn Fans Watch Closely

I don’t see her retiring until she starts to decline...she’s a lock for 2020 if she continues to play well, gets to stay in Seattle and the Storm have all of the pieces to win a couple more titles.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Sue truly wants to play in the '20 Olympics, I don't see how she can be thinking about retiring from the WNBA. It would be hard to stay on top of her game if she's not playing professionally.

They aren't ready to be what they are now without her, but who knows her priorities in a few weeks.

:rolleyes:

After all her best BFF has a bambino....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She can play overseas, make more money than she does in the WNBA and be plenty prepped for the 2020 games

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watch Sue during the 3 games made me wonder if she can go another 2, 3 or 4 years. She was very fluid on the court, passes were crisp, her court awareness is amazing and she can still play defense.

If she says she can go, who are we to question her decision. She is still the ultimate point guard and no one else is close.

Reaction Score
True, but she has skipped playing overseas the last several seasons and has been playing in the WNBA exclusively.
I think that is more about prolonging her career and having a personal life. I am sure it is difficult or nearly impossible for these women to be in a relationship and constantly traveling the world.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She can play overseas, make more money than she does in the WNBA and be plenty prepped for the 2020 games

She is a Goddess in Seatle. She'd never dish the Storm and Seattle that way I'm thinking. Hmmm, wonder if she has a taste for politics? Naw, too smart.

BTW there are 2 more Seattle Times articles in the lonely thread More Champagne Says Stewie!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Sue has marked Tokyo, 2020 on her calendar. That may or may not be her swan song, but she's not leaving before that. She and her GOAT want a 5th Gold Medal.

Reaction Score
It was interesting she said she never thought she would make it back and win a championship again. That’s pretty honest on her part. She went through 6 consecutive tough years.
She is obviously smart and skilled but very very tough too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You got chastised? It's the off season, can't have too many threads to help pass the time.

Exactly right. But chastised in jest, by another poster. At least I think it was a joke.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice Bleacher Report article on Sue.

Sue Bird Is Not Going Anywhere

Great article a cut above the others which seem to be recycled. Great quotes from a variety of WNBA superstars. I like this from Tina Charles

"I admire how selfless she is," Charles says. "She always puts herself last on and off the court. She holds you accountable, and that's one reason I am where I am right now. What I've taken from her shows in my actions with the Liberty."

Now, as Charles approaches 30, Bird is teaching her one more lesson: that "age is nothing but a number," as Charles says. "It's all about the heart you have, the willingness to win and play, and that's what Sue has exemplified."

And Tina is so in awe of Sue that she decided to wear a mask herself ;);)

08b1e1f47842a351387a68d240220695_crop_exact.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Best quote of the Champions in that article too:

"Bird says. "But was making the Finals and winning a championship in the back of my mind as the ultimate goal? Not really. We were just in the moment, understanding that we were rebuilding with young talent and it'd take some time. I had no idea that that time was in my own time."

Vin Scullyesque.

In your time, Sue, in your time:

There, now I'm done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44