Sue's Injury A "Smidge" of Drama! | The Boneyard

Sue's Injury A "Smidge" of Drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I beg your pardon. Not to us. Game article from Sporting News.
upload_2016-8-16_19-4-49.png

Rio Olympics 2016: Sue Bird injury creates smidge of drama for U.S. women's basketball team
upload_2016-8-16_19-4-49.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's hard to say, but injuries that occur like her's where a player merely lands awkwardly are often the most serious. It was the left knee and she looked as if she'd felt something. I'm hoping for the best.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The p-word is just about the worst news possible for Sue. That's a signature ACL thing.

Other teams have also lost key players to injury (France, Spain), and it may be the U.S.'s turn to do so. However, if there was ever a team deep enough to absorb the adversity, it's this team. The other 11 will be extra motivated to rally around their injured leader.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"...The only downbeat outcome of the game for the U.S. was that Sue Bird, the team's four-time Olympic point guard, left the game after suffering an undisclosed knee injury in a second-quarter collision. On the advice of the team trainer and doctors, she didn't return. When asked after the game if she was OK as she was walking through the mixed zone press area, Bird nodded and said, "Oh yeah...."

Taurasi said, "Hopefully everything will check out OK in the morning."

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I remember reading Nykesha Sales' lips after her all against ND late in her senior year.....that led to the 'gift basket'.
She said that she heard something 'pop'. Torn achilles tendon....hope for something different here.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Saw this photo on the USA BB twitter feed - it shows Sue standing (at left), with no visible wrap or brace on the knee, at least at this point. (The photo was taken after the game, not before.) "Pops" are never good with the knee, but I wonder about the lack of wrap/brace and hope that it's a good sign.

CqBvKyAVMAQdHFH.jpg

USA BB twitter has a much larger version of this photo - here

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saw this photo on the USA BB twitter feed - it shows Sue standing (at left), with no visible wrap or brace on the knee, at least at this point. (The photo was taken after the game, not before.) "Pops" are never good with the knee, but I wonder about the lack of wrap/brace and hope that it's a good sign.

View attachment 15007

USA BB twitter has a much larger version of this photo - here

In the third quarter USA dropped a 3 and as Japan called a time out Sue rose to her feet, arms raised. Gave me some hope.

Reaction Score
As the proud owner of two badly beat up knees, I can tell you that they pop all the time. Your ligaments loosen up and the joint moves, much like a "trick" shoulder.

There are pops, and then there are pops. A torn ligament is VERY painful; I saw no sign of that, nor any sign of the usual treatment. Positive thoughts.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You can easily walk with a torn ACL. if that is what she has, you expect her to play?

I remember after CDoty had one of her ACL injuries during fall practice or scrimmage, she said she felt a mild pop but didn't know what had really happened until later. She barely had any discomfort at all, if any, at the time. Contrast with other times where the pain is terrible and you can't walk at all. This includes other of CDoty's ACL injuries, which were quite painful, IIRC. It's a crazy injury! I had a friend who tore his in high school during a pickup game and he had to be carried off the court. Still remember his screams. But often (as you point out) it's nothing like that and you can still get around.

My late uncle tore his ACL on the ski slopes when he was younger and it was never repaired. He gave up skiing after that because he could only execute left turns -- not right turns! If he tried turning right, his leg wouldn't respond correctly and he would promptly find his a*s in the snow.

Reaction Score
J Moore did. ;)
Not sure that I am 100% on this, but wasn't that in the NC her senior year?

I think that, had this been the Gold Medal game and the US was in trouble, we might have seen a fist-fight between Bird and Auriemma (you KNOW Geno wouldn't let her come back in and risk further injury).

I wonder who would win that fight? My money is on Bird, three rounds, TKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom