OT: - Sue Bird "fielding" punts during Seattle Seahawks Practice | The Boneyard

OT: Sue Bird "fielding" punts during Seattle Seahawks Practice

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I generally do not like the Seahawks and their general demeanor but QB Russell Wilson is incredible and I always love watching him play. Very inspirational story from where he started (drafted), his height etc. and the classy way he handles himself. If they get into the Playoffs, he should have serious consideration for MVP.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Few things in sports that professional athletes do are easy. Nay, they make them look easy because they are the very best at what they do. Just as we do in our profession. It's not easy to get the puck past an NHL goalie one on one. It's not easy to catch a fly ball in a major league ballpark, especially one not hit right at you and there's a slight breeze. It's not easy to to make a 3 point basket on an NBA floor, especially with someone guarding you. Dare I say most of us couldn't make one if we were the on the court by ourself. It's not easy to kick a 45 yard field goal with multiple players charging at you trying to block it.

It's not easy to shoot a free throw when you're tired and thirsty, and the coach just got through yelling at you. It's not easy to hit a 95 MPH fastball strike, regardless of location. It's even harder to hit "Uncle Charlie" when it started high and outside (that gave you a "jelly leg"), but broke like it fell off a table down to your knees right over the middle of the plate. It's not easy folks. People that know what they are doing, make what they do look easy, it isn't. How many of us would fare any better than Sue did? Few if any. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In defense of Sue, if you’ve ever tried to field a punt from jugs gun or real life punter, it’s not easy. The ball sails and soars, and it’s difficult to judge the speed it’s moving at, and that doesn’t even account for the wind. It’s much easier to field a kickoff.

Reaction Score
Very good LOL funny I think it is fair to say that basketball and football skills do overlap.... but for the most part they are mutually exclusive!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well she finally got one. That's better than I could have done. :)

Reaction Score
I returned punts in high school. Never dropped one, but I hated it every time I had to go back there. So nervous each time. Much more fun to run the ball from scrimmage or catch passes!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Bah, she's a world class athlete. Let see enough of them and she'll figure it out.

(She actually seemed a little afraid of ball, didn't she? Get under it Sue. You are making catches harder than they have to be.)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
She's useless. ;)

The players standing behind her giving instructions were likely making her nervous, like somebody looking over your shoulder while you're trying to do anything. She might have done a lot better with them standing on the sideline leaving her alone.

Reaction Score
Very good LOL funny I think it is fair to say that basketball and football skills do overlap.... but for the most part they are mutually exclusive!
Whenever I had a player that had trouble catching a basketball. I would have that player practice catching a football for 20 minutes a day with her hands and it always worked.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I returned punts in high school. Never dropped one, but I hated it every time I had to go back there. So nervous each time. Much more fun to run the ball from scrimmage or catch passes!

The first high school varsity punt I fielded hit my chest rather than my hands, bounced up in the air, and was recovered by the other team. I was hit hard and had the breath knocked out of me. Never happened again but I've never forgotten it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The first high school varsity punt I fielded hit my chest rather than my hands, bounced up in the air, and was recovered by the other team. I was hit hard and had the breath knocked out of me. Never happened again but I've never forgotten it.
Not equivalent, but my first time on the line (playing pee wee) I didn't get low and got knocked on my ass. Never made that mistake again.

Failure can be a powerful teacher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom