OT - stupid soccer haha | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - stupid soccer haha

Reaction Score
World Cup rating in US in 2018 will be horrendous. 6-8 time zones ahead with games in Russia, no America and no noteworthy Americans playing for other squads.
Yekat is nine time zones away (ten in winter). I may go anyway even if the USA isn't in it.

I expect the USA to be in VERY high demand as a tune-up opponent for nations who will be in it.

Fox and NBC have made huge investments for the long haul. Expect them to be influential in straightening out soccer in this country. Hey, there are few things in life more fun than drinking a craft beer and listening to Arlo White and Graham DeSaux call a game in the Barclay's Premier League, not to mention Rebecca Lowe in the studio with her panel of experts. They have a command of the English language that we can only dream of. Fox does a nice job too. And then there are all the American owners in the Premier League now. I see this as only a temporary setback that may pay positive results by sparking needed changes here.

Reaction Score
Right, because every soccer head telling me I'm "ignorant" or that I'm "rooting against my country" doesn't constitute jamming it down my throat.

Look - i actually don't hate the sport. Like @HuskyHawk said, when played at a high level, it's a great watch. I would love to watch a skilled US team in the world cup, mostly because it would tick off everyone if we didn't continue to suck...

But - the incessant desire of some to make US Soccer europeV2 is just silly.

Well, when you root against the team that represents your country, you're rooting against your country. If you don't understand that, then you're ignorant. Nobody said you have to watch. And if you don't want to discuss US Soccer because you don't want it jammed down your throat, don't start a thread about US Soccer.

It is both possible to wish a team well, and not watch them. Many of us do it for UConn Women's basketball. I always want them to win, I very seldom watch. I never start a thread celebrating their (rare) loss and complaining about them being jammed down my throat, cause that's dumb.

I'll accept the fact you didn't reply to the other reasons you're ignorant as an admission of guilt.

If you want to talk about "silly incessant desires", the USMNT has a much greater chance of making the semi-finals of the WC, than UConn football does the CFP. UConn needs a miracle invite to a P5, and then a dream season. USMNT can remain mediocre, which for them is still one of the best 20-30 teams in the world, or can scrap the system and rebuild it. But the resources are there, they just need the right leadership. UConn football is in a much more dire situation, and this "silly incessant desire" to see UConn in the top 25 on a regular basis is a far greater task at the moment.

Reaction Score
I hate soccer. Whenever I see an MLS Game it looks like a bunch of hipsters pretending to be European for an afternoon. That said there is an easy solution. Change the channel. No one is forcing anything down people's throats.

Reaction Score
Soccer in this country does not attract the best athletes. Until it does, the US will not be a factor in international play.

We’ve already been a factor internationally. Right now it boils down to a missing age group of talent and a lack of heart.

MLS is actually making the top end US players worse because they should have stayed in Europe.

Reaction Score
The World Cup will get surprisingly good ratings. The EPL gets better ratings than NHL and MLB at the coveted 7:30 am Saturday morning time slot.
Yes, that coveted time slot. ;) But the EPL has bee playing some night games too and those are getting broadcast in the afternoons here. Don't know what the ratings are, but I have been into the craft beers quite a bit earlier than intended on several occasions. Hey, that workout on the bike or kayak can wait until tomorrow, can't it?

The other point is that the networks (NBC and Fox) are gonna make it work. They have invested huge amounts of money and their EPL product is great. If you haven't played the game, you may have no clue what they are talking about at first. But after you catch up you realize what an amazing job the play by play guys and the commentators do with precision and an economy of language.

Reaction Score
Yes, that coveted time slot. ;) But the EPL has bee playing some night games too and those are getting broadcast in the afternoons here. Don't know what the ratings are, but I have been into the craft beers quite a bit earlier than intended on several occasions. Hey, that workout on the bike or kayak can wait until tomorrow, can't it?

The other point is that the networks (NBC and Fox) are gonna make it work. They have invested huge amounts of money and their EPL product is great. If you haven't played the game, you may have no clue what they are talking about at first. But after you catch up you realize what an amazing job the play by play guys and the commentators do with precision and an economy of language.

Agreed.

Just saying, if Liverpool or Man U are playing early on sat morning, there are millions of of Americans getting up and tuning in. The ratings don’t reflect t the true #s because of the watch parties and soccer bars/pubs.

Soccer is more conducive to the modern lifestyle anyways. The USMNT game was deep into the second half while UConn was still in the first of against ECU.

You can watch two soccer matches in the time it takes to watch two football games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom