OT - stupid soccer haha | The Boneyard

OT - stupid soccer haha

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sorry to channel my inner @whaler11 and take glee in so much suffering, but this is great!

1) Tell me again how "up and coming" USA soccer is
2) Same for MLS making us better
3) Can't wait to see those ratings for the world cup!

We couldn't beat a small island's b team in a flooded high school-size stadium.

Yes, I'm still salty about the ECU game being bumped for 2nd-tier MLS nonsense.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Well ... you do sound ignorant

Posts like this are exactly why I put this thread up. Why am I "ignorant?" Because i don't gravitate towards this nonsense? Because I don't bend over backwards trying to make the US soccer product somehow comparable to the legitimate teams/leagues/national teams elsewhere?

Some comeuppance is needed for people like you who don't accept people like me not enjoying this product jammed down their throat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Posts like this are exactly why I put this thread up. Why am I "ignorant?" Because i don't gravitate towards this nonsense? Because I don't bend over backwards trying to make the US soccer product somehow comparable to the legitimate teams/leagues/national teams elsewhere?

Some comeuppance is needed for people like you who don't accept people like me not enjoying this product jammed down their throat.

Who "jams it down your throat"? I don't even see it advertised. You have to do work to even find out when the games are.

I'll be honest, I've gravitated to Soccer more in recent years because baseball has become almost unwatchable. I still love U.S. football, pro and college, but the games are long, with too many TV breaks, and CTE is going to hurt the player pipeline.

Soccer played at a high level is a great sport. Too much diving and too many bad referees, but it's two hours with only one break. The U.S. will figure this out, and last night's disaster, which is one among many we've had, should lead to some needed changes. We have a huge population advantage, and the decline of youth football is going to go largely to Soccer and LAX.

Reaction Score
Ironically, the MLS is making most of Central America better and not helping the USA all that much.

The goals that eliminated the USA were scored by MLS players. One playing for Honduras and one playing for Panama.

Reaction Score
Sorry to channel my inner @whaler11 and take glee in so much suffering, but this is great!

1) Tell me again how "up and coming" USA soccer is
2) Same for MLS making us better
3) Can't wait to see those ratings for the world cup!

We couldn't beat a small island's b team in a flooded high school-size stadium.

Yes, I'm still salty about the ECU game being bumped for 2nd-tier MLS nonsense.
I am not a soccer guy, but I promise you a lot more people watched that MLS games than the UConn/ECU game.

Reaction Score

1) Tell me again how "up and coming" USA soccer is IT IS ON AN UPWARD TRACJECTORY, NO MATTER WHAT THE SOCCER NAYSAYERS THINK OR SAY.
2) Same for MLS making us better POINT WELL TAKEN.
3) Can't wait to see those ratings for the world cup! THEY STILL WILL BE AS STRONG AS THEY HAVE BEEN. SOCCER FANS WILL STILL TUNE IN.

We couldn't beat a small island's b team in a flooded high school-size stadium. POINT WELL TAKEN.

Yes, I'm still salty about the ECU game being bumped for 2nd-tier MLS nonsense. I'M NOT.

I love soccer and am a rabid fan of the USMNT. I'm in shock right now. See my responses above in CAPS.

Reaction Score
Soccer in this country does not attract the best athletes. Until it does, the US will not be a factor in international play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Soccer in this country does not attract the best athletes. Until it does, the US will not be a factor in international play.

Wrong. It's not about the athletes at all. Our guys that don't play basketball or football or baseball still give us about 100x the quality athlete pool that exists in say, Costa Rica, or Ireland or even Portugal. The issue is the way they are coached, learn to play and develop skills. It has to change.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
World Cup rating in US in 2018 will be horrendous. 6-8 time zones ahead with games in Russia, no America and no noteworthy Americans playing for other squads.

I'd be curious to see if there are any negotiations built in to adverstising contracts based off US not making it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wrong. It's not about the athletes at all. Our guys that don't play basketball or football or baseball still give us about 100x the quality athlete pool that exists in say, Costa Rica, or Ireland or even Portugal. The issue is the way they are coached, learn to play and develop skills. It has to change.

US is so deficient with their ball control skills and ability to breakdown a defender it's like watching Globetrotters against Washington Generals.

Reaction Score
Why am I "ignorant?"

Because the product isn't jammed down your throat.

Because the ECU game wasn't bumped for anything, somebody else rented the stadium that UConn DOESN'T OWN, and therefore UConn had to work around their schedule.

Because you're literally rooting against your country.

Keep posting and I'm sure we can find more to point out.

Reaction Score
World Cup rating in US in 2018 will be horrendous. 6-8 time zones ahead with games in Russia, no America and no noteworthy Americans playing for other squads.

I'd be curious to see if there are any negotiations built in to adverstising contracts based off US not making it.
Ratings will definitely take a hit here. But considering 1 billion people watched the 2014 World Cup Final, I think the ratings overall will be fine. Just sucks for FOX who bid $200 million for the 2018 WC and now can't even advertise the USMNT.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I am not a soccer guy, but I promise you a lot more people watched that MLS games than the UConn/ECU game.

College Football TV Ratings For Every Game - Sports Media Watch

We pulled 84k *against* the NFL on the U. Way off our average. Put this game on Saturday, and it beats most MLS games.

I love soccer and am a rabid fan of the USMNT. I'm in shock right now. See my responses above in CAPS.

"Upward trajectory" = a 30 year curve that has resulted in.....

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Because the product isn't jammed down your throat.

Because the ECU game wasn't bumped for anything, somebody else rented the stadium that UConn DOESN'T OWN, and therefore UConn had to work around their schedule.

Because you're literally rooting against your country.

Keep posting and I'm sure we can find more to point out.

Right, because every soccer head telling me I'm "ignorant" or that I'm "rooting against my country" doesn't constitute jamming it down my throat.

Look - i actually don't hate the sport. Like @HuskyHawk said, when played at a high level, it's a great watch. I would love to watch a skilled US team in the world cup, mostly because it would tick off everyone if we didn't continue to suck...

But - the incessant desire of some to make US Soccer europeV2 is just silly.

Reaction Score

Christian Pulisic is a STAR for years to come in the best soccer leagues. He is 5-8 140 pounds. OK ... what other sport would he clearly fit?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

How is it 'jammed down your throat?' I don't care about soccer and find that it's easily avoided. There are no soccer police out there forcing us to care.

And ignorant was probably the wrong word - petulant fits perfectly. You came to do a victory lap because some soccer team lost and now you're upset that people are calling you out on it. Grow up.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
How is it 'jammed down your throat?' I don't care about soccer and find that it's easily avoided. There are no soccer police out there forcing us to care.

And ignorant was probably the wrong word - petulant fits perfectly. You came to do a victory lap because some soccer team lost and now you're upset that people are calling you out on it. Grow up.

You're 100% wrong. If anything, "petulant" fits the guys name-calling at the moment, because they're the ones upset that they're being called out.

Reaction Score

I am kinda curious why you chose to post this on the Football Forum as opposed to the BY Soccer Forum? I'm sure they would have an informed "opinion" ;)

Reaction Score
shrug ...

Could care less what you do with your leisure time. For most of us, there are simply too many sports to watch ... in person or on TV. There simply is an inexorable reply to your petulance: an immense amount of guys (and women) get up to watch EPL football now on weekends. There are more conversations on soccer results and players movements than I ever can remember. There is no doubt in my mind that Fox was smart grabbing rights contracts on this. We shall see. Yes ... US World Cup ratings are gonna dive.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
shrug ...

Could care less what you do with your leisure time. For most of us, there are simply too many sports to watch ... in person or on TV. There simply is an inexorable reply to your petulance: an immense amount of guys (and women) get up to watch EPL football now on weekends. There are more conversations on soccer results and players movements than I ever can remember. There is no doubt in my mind that Fox was smart grabbing rights contracts on this. We shall see. Yes ... US World Cup ratings are gonna dive.

Hell - *I* sometimes watch EPL on weekends (though mainly because it's one of a few live sports items in 4K). But, we're not talking about EPL.

...and the guy who called me "ignorant" said "could care less." LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom