Student Section is a Joke | The Boneyard

Student Section is a Joke

Reaction Score
I’m tired of the excuses! The UConn community needs to step up!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He is right but this will not go over well coming from a football player.

Saban rips the bama student section constantly and they have implemented this point system. UConn needs to tie it to BB tix.

Alabama has tried to entice students into staying longer by using a phone application that tracks location and rewards Tide Loyalty Points: 100 per game for attending a home football game and 250 per game for staying all four quarters. The points can be used toward priority access to student football tickets.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It was amongst the worst showings by the students. But if you are looking for a reason why a nearly full end zone emptied completely at halftime, you have to start with the 24 given up, blowing a 13 pt lead in the 2Q.

But it's bad form to bail like that, it's not like the social scene starts at 7pm. What are they senior citizens?

Reaction Score
This is what happens when you build a stadium miles from campus and put out a bad product.

Save arguments for highway access etc for an NFL board.

That’s not what this is. This is college sports, folks, and so many people here don’t get it and it’s sad.

I realize it’s the hand we’re dealt now and it sucks.

It was a mistake to build the Rent in East Hartford. Full stop. End of discussion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You actually get a lot less loyalty with free tickets. It's a weird psychological thing

I know what you're saying, and it's true for many things. It's typically not true for sports. Sports breaks a lot of rules. Loyalty to sports teams often becomes as deep as family. Some even go on internet boards for their favorite teams. ;)

I actually think the problem is in the feeling of loyalty. On the whole, I don't think that kids these days feel loyalty to their universities. Could be the fact that they are getting charged 8 billion dollars a year in tuition. Could be the transient nature of the modern world where people don't stay where they live and such.

Whatever the factors, it's a loyalty issue. And being a UConn loyalist, it pisses me off...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Another factor in this: Suzie killing the party scene on campus. Kids have to take a bus to East Hartford just to drink some claws.

Two most annoying student cohorts on the runway: the girls completely decked out in gear, face paint, temp tattoos, etc TO NEVER GO INTO THE GAME and the guys wearing some dumb ironic thing who is super proud to not actually ever go to a game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It’s not just students. But the reality is that our fans are acting very, very rationally. When faced with the choice to watch a team that’s been brutal since these kids were in elementary school, they opt to find other things to do with their time.

Pleading with or guilting or trapping the fans ain’t gonna work.

1) Win
2) Be Fun
3) ideally, some combination of 1 and 2 against teams we remotely care about (ie not the AAC)
4) try to sustain the above over some period of time

Reaction Score
geez who coulda predicted that building a football stadium 25 miles from campus, having 800 losing seasons in a row, being a national joke, destroying the ability of students to have any fun, and playing legendary programs like Cincinnati, Tulane, and Tulsa would destroy an entire generation of fans?

Its almost like it wasn't competently managed for a decade or something.

Reaction Score
It’s not just students. But the reality is that our fans are acting very, very rationally. When faced with the choice to watch a team that’s been brutal since these kids were in elementary school, they opt to find other things to do with their time.

1) Win
2) Be Fun
3) ideally, some combination of 1 and 2 against teams we remotely care about (ie not the AAC)

With the stadium situation, this the only solution

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

1) Win
2) Be Fun

Everything you said would be fine except:

1) they were already in the stadium in the first quarter
2) the game was still close at the end of the second quarter when they left
3) Against a B1G team on their first ever visit to CT
4) they won the game the previous week.

I mean, they were already there!! It's ludicrous...

Reaction Score

My frustration is why are you people picking on the students?

What about the adult fans who couldn’t show up for a Big 10 school at a stadium built for them at the expense of the student experience?

Save your whining about “kids these days” for one of the hardo threads

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

What about the adult fans who couldn’t show up for a Big 10 school at a stadium built for them at the expense of the student experience?

They. Were already. There.

Get it? They were already freaking there! As for the "adult fans", they outnumbered the students by numerous thousands on Saturday in case you weren't counting...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What's the excuse for the students not filling up Gampel on campus? Too cold to walk in winter? Not enough free tenders and fries?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

3 and 4 obviously didn’t register with them at all.

As a football fan I get all your points but students and most fans looked at all that and decided they’d rather be somewhere else. They’d bail even if it were on campus.

Chief isn’t terribly wrong that they need to make it more fun for kids to be there for the whole duration... but team can’t be boring and suck too. Not saying they aren’t better, but all these kids have grown up with the perception of UConn football being a national laughing stock and definitely not a source of pride. Sucks that the players are paying for years of suckitude with a lack of support... but unfortunately, that’s rational.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What's the excuse for the students not filling up Gampel on campus? Too cold to walk in winter? Not enough free tenders and fries?

The ultimate point is that the students were literally already there for about 20 minutes. They were already there. Can't make that up. They literally walked out, like they were on strike or something.

That's why the players are lashing out on Twitter...

Reaction Score

Bad product. It’s not rocket science. And a the student section is still a whole lot more full for a crappy basketball than it is at the Rent on a Saturday

Reaction Score
They. Were already. There.

Get it? They were already freaking there! As for the "adult fans", they outnumbered the students by numerous thousands on Saturday in case you weren't counting...

Hahaha there are 3 million residents in the state of Connecticut. There are 20k students in Storrs. How could you possibly be this bad at math?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom