Stronng rumor: Catholic schools may be leaving as early as today | The Boneyard

Stronng rumor: Catholic schools may be leaving as early as today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least that is the latest rumor but it is a strong rumor. Marquette for one was angry over adding Tulane without any discussion. The BE would be disolved.
The basketball schools would likely add Xavier, St. Louis and possibly Butler.
BCU to the BIG is picking up steam.

Reaction Score
At least that is the latest rumor but it is a strong rumor. Marquette for one was angry over adding Tulane without any discussion. The BE would be disolved.
The basketball schools would likely add Xavier, St. Louis and possibly Butler.
BCU to the BIG is picking up steam.

So, we just cancel the upcoming BE basketball season??

What'll I do all winter??

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Where is that picking up steam? Not poking, just curious. We need the realignment wheels to turn as fast as possible if we are going to land.

Reaction Score
I honestly feel in the bigger picture it is the best for Catholic schools to part way with the football schools now. It is near impossible to build a conference when it is like the half way house. How do you build rivalries or anything when membership is changing on a yearly basis? This is what ESPN wanted. They want the basketball portion of the BE but they don't want to pay top $$$ for it. Had BB schools stick with FB schools, we would have stronger bargaining position but it is easier to divide and conquer.

It is best for Catholic schools to split off and form their own nice little Catholic conference. It is good for them long term. They got plenty of schools willing to join so they are all good.

It would be nice if we can find a stable home soon. Going all sports into the NNBE with all the new members gonna suck big time. It could do some massive damage to our athletic department if we are stuck 3-5 years here.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nova
SJU
Hall
Marquette
Providence
DePaul
Georgetown

3 teams are good. 4 suck. I see their point about the C's leaving but they have to see that they're nothing special by themselves.

Reaction Score
I don't see BC to the B1G picking up steam on Twitter, a search of "BC B1G" shows one result in the last 24 hours, and it's from some random guy who heard something somewhere. He also prefers that the B1G add UConn. In other words, it's not picking up steam on the interwebs.

Reaction Score
Nova
SJU
Hall
Marquette
Providence
DePaul
Georgetown

3 teams are good. 4 suck. I see their point about the C's leaving but they have to see that they're nothing special by themselves.
Add Xavier and Butler and it gets a little better. Maybe Detroit, St. Joes or ST. Louis University and it is a real CYO league with a northeast/midwest balance.

Like all discussions, this one is driven by money. Do the CYO's believe that they can make more on a net basis alone? As it stands now, their travel budgets for all sports is increasing with the new adds. Is there enough incremental revenue coming to make it positive? Or is someone whispering in their ears that they can break even in a new/smaller conference? Remember, they really do not benefit from the FB side revenue. That TV revenue is not shared on their side. They have also watched their powerhouse BB league and guaranteed sell outs run away.

Have to wonder if ND will get NBC to bite at this type of conference for content? They can become the catholic broadcasting company.

Reaction Score
Nova
SJU
Hall
Marquette
Providence
DePaul
Georgetown

What are the good/suck numbers for the teams that are left? I'd say that they are a much stronger basketball conference than the BE whats left conference.

Reaction Score
If this is the case, then Rutgers will leave in 2013 and do so without having to pay an exit fee.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If this is the case, then Rutgers will leave in 2013 and do so without having to pay an exit fee.

My thought was that RU needs to wait for MD to leave the ACC. But I guess if Louisville gets in next season the ACC might boot out MD early. Then again the lawsuit against MD will decide that

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't see BC to the B1G picking up steam on Twitter, a search of "BC B1G" shows one result in the last 24 hours, and it's from some random guy who heard something somewhere. He also prefers that the B1G add UConn. In other words, it's not picking up steam on the interwebs.
...but he prefers UConn to the B1G right? I mean we've got that, right? At least there's that. Crimeny, I feel like a junky jonesing for some good news.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Crimeny, I feel like a junky jonesing for some good news.

I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Their problem is simple. If UConn and Cinci get skimmed who will Aresco add next? New Mexico and Southern Miss? UNLV and UMass? They can split now and put together a good conference with some sort of identity. Possibly the 6th best Basketball Conference

Reaction Score
Dick Weiss@NYDNDickWeiss
high ranking sources at st john's confirm school prez the rev. donald harrington has signed off on move for 7 cath schls to break from be
Retweeted by Jeff Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104