Strong offseason could be starting point for Crystal Dangerfield | The Boneyard

Strong offseason could be starting point for Crystal Dangerfield

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

So good that she's put herself in position to join four-year starter Kia Nurse and returning All-Americans Samuelson, Napheesa Collier, and Gabby Williams in the starting lineup.

So good that coach Geno Auriemma was asked if she would start if the Stanford game were tomorrow. "That's a good question," Auriemma said. "What we're going to have to do is see what kind of look do we want to have on the floor. Depending on who we start, it changes a lot of things. Everyone we put in affects someone.

"But Crystal's been really good. We talk all the time about how she's able to do things that she couldn't do last year in terms of getting through things, fighting through things. Her whole demeanor is better. Everything is better. She is the one who's made the most significant changes from last year."

"Our end of the year conversation after last season really was me just being able to get outside myself and come into this year with a different mindset than I had. I had to understand what actually playing hard is by figuring out what Coach's definition of playing hard is." :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Crystal is like most freshmen that come into the program. She needed time to adjust to playing at the next level. Some fans expected her to adjust immediately, and were openly disappointed when she didn't. Some even thought she may be a bust. All things in time. It appears the rose has finally come to full bloom. Crystal will be fine.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Crystal is like most freshmen that come into the program. She needed time to adjust to playing at the next level. Some fans expected her to adjust immediately, and were openly disappointed when she didn't. Some even thought she may be a bust. All things in time. It appears the rose has finally come to full bloom. Crystal will be fine.
There were a lot of people, on here, who thought Jefferson was a bust too after her FR year. People just gotta have a little patience.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the starting lineup may change from game to game. Interesting way of keeping everyone happy. In the end, regardless of who starts , the minute distribution will be a challenge against the ranked teams. My guess is that there will be a 7 man , possibly 8 man, rotation against top 10 teams unless the score gets out of hand quickly.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Will Crystal be 'great' ? Meaning, will she make the Wall by the time she's through and be mentioned in the same breath as the all-timers?

Time will tell, but the great ones** typically make a big Sophomore jump. It sounds like Crystal Dangerfield may be primed to make it herself. . . .

** Maya was one exception. Not saying she didn't get better in year 2 but her freshman year was probably the greatest ever.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Will Crystal be 'great' ? Meaning, will she make the Wall by the time she's through and be mentioned in the same breath as the all-timers?

Time will tell, but the great ones** typically make a big Sophomore jump. It sounds like Crystal Dangerfield may be primed to make it herself. . . .

** Maya was one exception. Not saying she didn't get better in year 2 but her freshman year was probably the greatest ever.

I'm not disagreeing with your comment, but as you said, and most agree, Maya was probably the greatest ever, which is why she's not a good player to use as a benchmark.

There may never be another Maya to come through UConn again. Crystal will be ok. It's a perfect storm for her, in that she has excellent coaches guiding and teaching her, she has 5 star All-American caliber players on the floor with her, and a full year under her belt.

She's driven, she wants to be the best. She wants her jersey on the wall in Gampel. She will not have to be prodded. She's self motivated. If you remember, the staff did not have to twist her arm or woo her to come here.

She teased us last year with some of her her wizardry, giving us a quick peek of things to come. This year, she takes the wraps off, we'll get the full Monty. She's going to be fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
"What we're going to have to do is see what kind of look do we want to have on the floor. Depending on who we start, it changes a lot of things. Everyone we put in affects someone."

Sounds like Geno is thinking matchups already. What starting 5 are going to give the opponent the most trouble. More nightmares for the opposition.

I think the safest way to look at this is we have the starting 6. All 6 will get plenty of minutes.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno is thinking matchups already. What starting 5 are going to give the opponent the most trouble. More nightmares for the opposition.

Stanford has 5 players 6'3" and taller. This may determine UCONN's starters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My first prediction of the season: regardless of who starts, after the first substitution of the game for UConn, Crystal and Azure will be on floor together.
I agree. Geno will rotate the top 6. CD and Z will play a lot together.

Reaction Score

I think Danger will. The biggest thing is her defense and ability to hit outside shots (not necessarily 3's). She has amazing vision, and get her uptempo she is dynamite. Teams are going to try to slow down the game vs UCONN. What is she going to do vs a real terrific defensive team that won't need to challenge her full court but sag and challenge her to shoot? If I see her able to knock down outside shots consistently and play feisty defense, I'm going to be super-ecstatic. :):):):):)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think Danger will. The biggest thing is her defense and ability to hit outside shots (not necessarily 3's). She has amazing vision, and get her uptempo she is dynamite. Teams are going to try to slow down the game vs UCONN. What is she going to do vs a real terrific defensive team that won't need to challenge her full court but sag and challenge her to shoot? If I see her able to knock down outside shots consistently and play feisty defense, I'm going to be super-ecstatic. :):):):):)

I'm not Carnac, I can't see into or predict the future, but I submit to you that there may not be a constant need for Crystal to shoot 3's. Kia, Azure, Lou and Napheesa will be on the court with her. All four of them can shoot the 3. Teams won't dare try to double team one of our girls.

This would mean someone would have a wide open shot, with no one guarding them. If that's Crystal, so be it. Gabby has become proficient at knocking down midrange shots and driving the lane. Opponents will have to pick their poison.

Crystal will shoot when she has to, but I doubt she'll be the first or second choice. Her job will be to facilitate the other 4, and shoot/attack the rim if the play breaks down.

Crystal is going to do the same thing Tom Brady does, put the ball in her playmaker's hands. Remember what Brady says...........nothing good can happen when the ball is in my hands..........although that's not quite true in her case, but you get my drift.

Reaction Score
I'm not Carnac, I can't see into or predict the future, but I submit to you that there may not be a constant need for Crystal to shoot 3's. Kia, Azure, Lou and Napheesa will be on the court with her. All four of them can shoot the 3. Teams won't dare try to double team one of our girls. This would mean someone would have a wide open shot, with no one guarding them. Gabby has become proficient at knocking down midrange shots and driving the lane.

Crystal will shoot when she has to, but I doubt she'll be the first or second choice. Her job will be to facilitate the other 4, and shoot/attack the rim if the play breaks down. Crystal is going to do the same thing Tom Brady does, put the ball in her playmaker's hands. Remember what Brady says......nothing good can happen when the ball is in my hands.

I agree to a point. First off I agree as I stated previously that she doesn't necessarily need to hit 3's. And like you I am not "carnac" either (The Great CARNAC is always right. I'm right 5% of the time. :)). I just made a prediction. And my post was replying to Danger being someday on the wall. If over her career she can't shoot the ball well, that won't get her 1st team all-american -- and I would love it if she were and she shows she can shoot. What makes UCONN so beautiful to watch is that they have such amazing fundamentals. If your pg can't shoot. it's not so beautiful to watch because teams will sag. IMO the same type of things were said regarding MoJeff -- before she showed she could shoot. Once she showed she could shoot, her game / and the team because that much greater.

I would be extremely surprised if some team(s) maybe even a team like Stanford -- does some form of a gimmick defense and leave Danger wide open from the outside. Why wouldn't they? If she is unable to shoot her man can make it to any degree harder. Even if it is a little and even UCONN still steamrolls, I'd love for CD to be a great 1st team a/a live up to her billing as a top recruit. If she can't shoot consistently, imo she doesn't get there. She might ofc, but it is much tougher. I hope the world for all our recruits. For the small pg to be a 1st team a/a and make uCONN so much harder to guard and maybe go on to a pro career she has ot learn to shoot. Otherwise the top teams will do what Stanford and ND did to UCONN and force the UCONN pg to shoot by playing a gimmick defense.

an OT personal point: I love watching the UCONN women because the of the beauty of the style they play. You have too many players in the future that are super athletes but can't shoot - that's not fun to watch. Too many men's college games are like that. I don;'t want to watch UCONN "just win." I love the beauty in how they win. A pg who can't shoot would be pretty boring. There is nothing more beautiful than watching 5 players that are great in the 3 fundamentals - they can shoot, pass and dribble. Right now Danger can dribble and pass. And imo using my "carnac"prognosis" - very hard to justify being on the wall if she can't shoot. It means she is relying on others too much to warrant 1st team a/a.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Excellent points. Too many compare current players as freshmen with stars from the past as seniors. And in addition to a sophomore jump there is also a big difference between play as a sophomore and senior.

Jefferson senior > Jefferson sophomore
Stewart senior > Stewart sophomore
Charles senior (much >) Charles sophomore

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree to a point. First off I agree as I stated previously that she doesn't necessarily need to hit 3's. And like you I am not "carnac" either (The Great CARNAC is always right. I'm right 5% of the time. :)). I just made a prediction. And my post was replying to Danger being someday on the wall. If over her career she can't shoot the ball well, that won't get her 1st team all-american -- and I would love it if she were and she shows she can shoot. What makes UCONN so beautiful to watch is that they have such amazing fundamentals. If your pg can't shoot. it's not so beautiful to watch because teams will sag. IMO the same type of things were said regarding MoJeff -- before she showed she could shoot. Once she showed she could shoot, her game / and the team because that much greater.

I would be extremely surprised if some team(s) maybe even a team like Stanford -- does some form of a gimmick defense and leave Danger wide open from the outside. Why wouldn't they? If she is unable to shoot her man can make it to any degree harder. Even if it is a little and even UCONN still steamrolls, I'd love for CD to be a great 1st team a/a live up to her billing as a top recruit. If she can't shoot consistently, imo she doesn't get there. She might ofc, but it is much tougher. I hope the world for all our recruits. For the small pg to be a 1st team a/a and make uCONN so much harder to guard and maybe go on to a pro career she has ot learn to shoot. Otherwise the top teams will do what Stanford and ND did to UCONN and force the UCONN pg to shoot by playing a gimmick defense.

an OT personal point: I love watching the UCONN women because the of the beauty of the style they play. You have too many players in the future that are super athletes but can't shoot - that's not fun to watch. Too many men's college games are like that. I don;'t want to watch UCONN "just win." I love the beauty in how they win. A pg who can't shoot would be pretty boring. There is nothing more beautiful than watching 5 players that are great in the 3 fundamentals - they can shoot, pass and dribble. Right now Danger can dribble and pass. And imo using my "carnac"prognosis" - very hard to justify being on the wall if she can't shoot. It means she is relying on others too much to warrant 1st team a/a.

I think you'll get your wish. Geno: “Crystal is like a different person,” Auriemma said. “Night and day, 180 [degrees] from last year at this time. She’s playing with a lot of confidence, just doing a lot of things that she didn’t do before. She’s aggressive, she’s trying to take a little bit of control over what’s going on. Pretty good so far.” We all know how critical Geno is. In Geno I trust. If he's this excited about her and her growth and development since last season, I think we can too. This spells trouble for UConn's opponents. I too like watching UConn because of their style of play and execution. To quote Bart Scott: "Can't wait".

Carnac

Reaction Score
Stanford has 5 players 6'3" and taller. This may determine UCONN's starters.

Yes, but will they all be on the floor at the same time? :cool:

Reaction Score
I think you'll get your wish. Geno: “Crystal is like a different person,” Auriemma said. “Night and day, 180 [degrees] from last year at this time. She’s playing with a lot of confidence, just doing a lot of things that she didn’t do before. She’s aggressive, she’s trying to take a little bit of control over what’s going on. Pretty good so far.” We all know how critical Geno is. In Geno I trust. If he's this excited about her and her growth and development since last season, I think we can too. This spells trouble for UConn's opponents. I too like watching UConn because of their style of play and execution. To quote Bart Scott: "Can't wait".

The poster on here named slu put up a h/s game for Danger and after I saw that game -- just wow. And last year -- she makes some absolutely astounding passes. I'm ecstatic of hearing how well she is doing - extremely. But we have all heard this from Geno before. He has raved about players improving. How many times did we hear about Saniya? Anyhow, as of right now we have a super 6. Opponents will have to deal with amazing talent 1-6. And Geno can "wait" for Walker. I'm looking forward to seeing Danger's passing skills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Excellent points. Too many compare current players as freshmen with stars from the past as seniors. And in addition to a sophomore jump there is also a big difference between play as a sophomore and senior.

Jefferson senior > Jefferson sophomore
Stewart senior > Stewart sophomore
Charles senior (much >) Charles sophomore
That's a succinct way of putting it.

To carry it a little further, Dangerfield freshman ~ Jefferson freshman.

The hope is Dangerfield sophomore ~ Jefferson sophomore, etc.

It's clear that Jefferson senior >> Dangerfield freshman, but that's not a fair comparison.

Geno has talked about Crystal possibly being an Olympian. He doesn't say something like that lightly.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
That's a succinct way of putting it.

To carry it a little further, Dangerfield freshman ~ Jefferson freshman.

The hope is Dangerfield sophomore ~ Jefferson sophomore, etc.

It's clear that Jefferson senior >> Dangerfield freshman, but that's not a fair comparison.

Geno has talked about Crystal possibly being an Olympian. He doesn't say something like that lightly.

Gee, if the UConn starting lineup is the same as last season save for only Dangerfield replacing Chong, I hope you guys are right about this "Sophomore Leap." Chong shot .471 from the floor compared to CD's .403; Chong was .400 on treys to CD's .317; Chong was .810 from the free throw line compared to .593 for Dangerfield; Chong's assists to turnover rate (140-42) was significantly better than CD's (114-53). And, at 5-8, Chong is three inches taller than Dangerfield.

Numbers don't tell the whole story, of course, but I'm rooting for Dangerfield to play inspired defense and close (or obliterate) the statistical gap.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gee, if the UConn starting lineup is the same as last season save for only Dangerfield replacing Chong, I hope you guys are right about this "Sophomore Leap." Chong shot .471 from the floor compared to CD's .403; Chong was .400 on treys to CD's .317; Chong was .810 from the free throw line compared to .593 for Dangerfield; Chong's assists to turnover rate (140-42) was significantly better than CD's (114-53). And, at 5-8, Chong is three inches taller than Dangerfield.

Numbers don't tell the whole story, of course, but I'm rooting for Dangerfield to play inspired defense and close (or obliterate) the statistical gap.
Saniya was a senior last year. I don’t expect Crystal to play like a senior, but I do expect a nice sophomore leap.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Saniya was a senior last year. I don’t expect Crystal to play like a senior, but I do expect a nice sophomore leap.

I guess I didn't make my point very well. If CD doesn't play as well as Saniya did last season--and there's some catching up to do there--then if a starting five with her in it improves its performance from a year ago it will be because the four returning starters are more proficient than they were in 2016/17, not because of Crystal.

Irrespective of that, the team, with added talent, experience and depth, should be improved.

Leap, little one, leap.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
"What we're going to have to do is see what kind of look do we want to have on the floor. Depending on who we start, it changes a lot of things. Everyone we put in affects someone."

I think the safest way to look at this is we have the starting 6. All 6 will get plenty of minutes.

Shouldn't the Huskies just start their best players and force other teams to adjust to them? Shouldn't it be the teams with inferior personnel--which is every team UConn plays--that have to alter their lineups in a (failed) attempt to gain favorable matchups?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom