Strong Bench Game | The Boneyard

Strong Bench Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a productive bench game, and more importantly that's how Kiah, Brianna and Saniya expect to play. Even Saniya said she was over thinking the game, that she felt paralyzed on the court. Way to go Huskies bench!

Reaction Score
Absolutely, that is what they are capable of and that is why they faced criticism from their previous performances.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes much better this game. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when Stewie and Bria are clicking like they were (last few games)... who needs a bench, no game is going to be perfect

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So now all the "woe is our weak bench" moaners from the last game are all giddy? After the game Geno is stating much of the same about Saniya, a tepid "better", she's "inconsistent," and other lines about her needing to step up more if she wants to get playing time. It's the same type of grudging compliments analysis that he has been and will be giving her until the end of the season to spur her on.

Last game was apparently weak, and yesterday's game was "way to go." Let's check the stats. Big difference was simply minutes 74 yesterday versus 47 the game before, so the bench was in for 1.8 times as long. In the Temple game, the bench shot better in FG%, 3-FG%, and FT%, and actually had more steals straight up. If you factored in the 1.8 times less minutes, the bench stats would average out in the Temple game to 3 less points, 2 less rebounds, 5 less assists, and 5 more turnovers, and 6 more steals, and 2 more blocks. So the pluses for yesterday were assists and turnovers (big) and points and rebounds (smaller), and the minuses were shooting for FG%, 3-FG%, and FT% and blocks and way less for steals.

Sure, the bench did nice and fine and it was a good effort, but other than the far more major minutes, the big difference we can see yesterday is that the bench passed the ball better and didn't turn it over as much, though Kiah still got picked a bit. When a group of mainly bench players (plus a KLM and\or MoJeff) is out on the court for a longer period, they do tend to pick up more points and rebounds simply by being out there. They scored 1.4 points per FGA yesterday and a much greater 1.8 points per FGA against Temple. Hell, Odyssey Sims racked up another 44 points yesterday on 12-34 shooting, but just shooting the ball is not a major achievement in itself.

So I'm sure all those who decried the little weak sisters of the poor who have suddenly seemingly exploded overnight into amazon warriors will be spouting for the next few days that the bench is suddenly pouring in the points and that the bench was paralyzed before, and that we shouldn't look closely at stats because stats just get in the way of their opinions. In 74 minutes yesterday, the bench did nicely, and just like with the Temple game before and going back through the season, UConn has a solid bench that ranks right up there with the best teams in the country no matter how many times the belly-achers want to call it weak and disappointing. The stats just don't support that contention.

In the close big tourney games, the bench won't get 74 minutes, probably more like 20-30 minutes. But the bench players will contribute, and I hope if like last year the top 5 players get all but 4 of the 83 points in the semi game and all but 11 of the 93 in the NC game, that we won't be hearing the "weak" comments dragged out again, but yeah, we probably will.

And one thing we know for sure, no matter how the bench players perform in the next games, Geno will be saying afterward, "Eh, I need to see more from them."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The opposition matters, too.
Well, yeah, that too. It was a little painful seeing the situation with the Cinci guards (with the partial exception of Lovett) yesterday after the injuries and other stuff. The Bearcats were halfway decent earlier in the season, but it's tough right now.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno's got it all figured out, as always.

When someone comes off the bench and doesn't light up the stat sheet, he demands that they "play up to their potential," or words to that effect, uttered either straightforward or with sarcasm.

Then, when they pay well, he damns them with faint praise by acknowledging their fine performance but always sneaking in that caveat to the effect that he now wants to see "consistency."

Catch 22.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Geno's got it all figured out, as always.

When someone comes off the bench and doesn't light up the stat sheet, he demands that they "play up to their potential," or words to that effect, uttered either straightforward or with sarcasm.

Then, when they pay well, he damns them with faint praise by acknowledging their fine performance but always sneaking in that caveat to the effect that he now wants to see "consistency."

Catch 22.

Kibs....this is the same type of inconsistency that our own ModSquad objects to in BoneYard Posters. Too many airball posts, sloppy defense of positions, offensive charging posts, and, indeed, unexplainable turnovers when asked to back up various keyboard bleats. The BoneYard has both a weak bench and a weak on the court team of brouhaha oriented participants, myself included.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Kibs....this is the same type of inconsistency that our own ModSquad objects to in BoneYard Posters. Too many airball posts, sloppy defense of positions, offensive charging posts, and, indeed, unexplainable turnovers when asked to back up various keyboard bleats. The BoneYard has both a weak bench and a weak on the court team of brouhaha oriented participants, myself included.
Really, I would like to see some stats about the ratio of airball posts to unexplainable turnovers before you post these broad innuendos. Plus, I'm getting a sense of deja vu from every year in the past with your post, so I believe a brazen steal may have happened. But maybe not.

Reaction Score
Even Saniya said she was over thinking the game, that she felt paralyzed on the court!!!!! She said it better than I ever could!! She has played like a deer caught in the headlights offensively all season. I know that the other 4 players out there with her most of the time are some of the best players for their ages in the world but I have watched her consistently the past 3 years and she has not even started to unwrap and use a minimal amount of her O.
This kid can do it all, I just hope she gets a chance in the next 3 years.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, all season, except maybe those games where she played well within the offense and posted double figure games. And of course offense is just about scoring points, so we'll discount all those assists and lack of turnovers when she was frozen paralyzed in the headlights. Just an awful offensive seasons for Saniya when the starters needed her to step up and take the burden off them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Unless SC. steps up her game, I can't imagine the team being competive. :(

Reaction Score
Those who jump those of us who say there are areas where the Huskies can improve act like we're attacking the player. Nothing could be further from the truth. We're saying there is room for improvement and that the improvement could be key to winning the National Championship. Notre Dame looks to be our biggest challenger, and we know they're not going to roll over for anyone. Also, as Geno has always pointed out, it's never about stats as some people who criticized my comments about the bench would have you believe. It's about playing the game the right way, which the bench did not do two games ago.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Those who jump those of us who say there are areas where the Huskies can improve act like we're attacking the player. Nothing could be further from the truth. We're saying there is room for improvement and that the improvement could be key to winning the National Championship. Notre Dame looks to be our biggest challenger, and we know they're not going to roll over for anyone. Also, as Geno has always pointed out, it's never about stats as some people who criticized my comments about the bench would have you believe. It's about playing the game the right way, which the bench did not do two games ago.
Most aren't jumping on you because you think there are areas that can be improved but rather the superficial analysis that it is. Anyone can say this must be fixed or that is a problem. The issue is what would contribute to the improvement. It is far more than has been offered. Understand the objections or disagreement and what Geno is asking of the players. Not every player he puts on the court is asked to contribute in the same manner.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So now all the "woe is our weak bench" moaners from the last game are all giddy? After the game Geno is stating much of the same about Saniya, a tepid "better", she's "inconsistent," and other lines about her needing to step up more if she wants to get playing time. It's the same type of grudging compliments analysis that he has been and will be giving her until the end of the season to spur her on.

Last game was apparently weak, and yesterday's game was "way to go." Let's check the stats. Big difference was simply minutes 74 yesterday versus 47 the game before, so the bench was in for 1.8 times as long. In the Temple game, the bench shot better in FG%, 3-FG%, and FT%, and actually had more steals straight up. If you factored in the 1.8 times less minutes, the bench stats would average out in the Temple game to 3 less points, 2 less rebounds, 5 less assists, and 5 more turnovers, and 6 more steals, and 2 more blocks. So the pluses for yesterday were assists and turnovers (big) and points and rebounds (smaller), and the minuses were shooting for FG%, 3-FG%, and FT% and blocks and way less for steals.

Sure, the bench did nice and fine and it was a good effort, but other than the far more major minutes, the big difference we can see yesterday is that the bench passed the ball better and didn't turn it over as much, though Kiah still got picked a bit. When a group of mainly bench players (plus a KLM and\or MoJeff) is out on the court for a longer period, they do tend to pick up more points and rebounds simply by being out there. They scored 1.4 points per FGA yesterday and a much greater 1.8 points per FGA against Temple. Hell, Odyssey Sims racked up another 44 points yesterday on 12-34 shooting, but just shooting the ball is not a major achievement in itself.

So I'm sure all those who decried the little weak sisters of the poor who have suddenly seemingly exploded overnight into amazon warriors will be spouting for the next few days that the bench is suddenly pouring in the points and that the bench was paralyzed before, and that we shouldn't look closely at stats because stats just get in the way of their opinions. In 74 minutes yesterday, the bench did nicely, and just like with the Temple game before and going back through the season, UConn has a solid bench that ranks right up there with the best teams in the country no matter how many times the belly-achers want to call it weak and disappointing. The stats just don't support that contention.

In the close big tourney games, the bench won't get 74 minutes, probably more like 20-30 minutes. But the bench players will contribute, and I hope if like last year the top 5 players get all but 4 of the 83 points in the semi game and all but 11 of the 93 in the NC game, that we won't be hearing the "weak" comments dragged out again, but yeah, we probably will.

And one thing we know for sure, no matter how the bench players perform in the next games, Geno will be saying afterward, "Eh, I need to see more from them."
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Why do you think Geno didn't give them more minutes in the Temple game??? They were not being very productive. Heck they were not even attempting to be productive. (which was the bigger problem). But since you insist on "stats"

4 shots vs 14 shots. 6 pts vs 19 pts. 2 assists vs 9 assists. 4 TO vs 2 TOs. 6 rbs vs 14 rbs.

Look, the bench had a bad game at Temple. It happens. They need to produce more, they did at Cinci. This is a good thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Understand the objections or disagreement and what Geno is asking of the players. Not every player he puts on the court is asked to contribute in the same manner.
True but they were not contributing in the manner Geno asked.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know because I didn't see what Geno wanted from them.
Well he said they weren't, and he didn't play them.....so.....Pretty apparant.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well he said they weren't, and he didn't play them.....so.....Pretty apparant.
Then that is fine and being accountable to Geno they will need to adjust but I still don't know what it was Geno was wanting compared to what folks here think was the issue. Focus, attention, assertiveness, aggression, rebounding, taking open shots, attacking the basket, forcing players to the edges of defense, not moving feet on D, the possibilities are myriad. I agree with the idea that Saniya is over thinking the game and has a bit of parallysis by analysis. The question becomes then how to shake her out of it. Most often that is when Geno seems to get very specific in assignments. Attack the lane, hit the boards, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01