Stress Reactions? | The Boneyard

Stress Reactions?

Reaction Score
We now have our second player dealing with a stress reaction in foot or ankle. Dr Google describes it as a repetitive stress injury. I wonder if this is a higher rate than other teams or just an anomaly. While we admire the super-hard practices, I also wonder if something needs to be modified to spare some of the pounding that so increases this repetitive stress. (Also hope this was caught way early as most sites refer to a 6-8 week recovery period!)

Reaction Score
While we admire the super-hard practices, I also wonder if something needs to be modified to spare some of the pounding that so increases this repetitive stress.

Yeah I'm sure Geno has been doing it all wrong for 30 years.

Reaction Score
We now have our second player dealing with a stress reaction in foot or ankle. Dr Google describes it as a repetitive stress injury. I wonder if this is a higher rate than other teams or just an anomaly. While we admire the super-hard practices, I also wonder if something needs to be modified to spare some of the pounding that so increases this repetitive stress. (Also hope this was caught way early as most sites refer to a 6-8 week recovery period!)
Somebody last year had one too. I suspect the UConn medical team uses "stress reaction" as a catchall term for "they're sore in the foot/ankle/shin and it's not getting better"

Reaction Score
I also think that part of the genius of Geno and this program is that they do not do the same things the same way for 30 years because this is the way we have always done it. I was just wondering if this is a higher rate of this type of injury than should be expected. I am sure if it is, that there are discussions amongst the medical staff and coaches about ways to minimize these injuries.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if this is a esshigher rate than other teams or just an anomaly.
Neither. UCONN stress injury rate is not any higher than other teams and this is not just an anomaly. For those that are tempted to point out the short bench or the long practices keep in mind that UCONN also had two player (Dolson & Hayes) that suffered stress injuries during the 2011-12 season when the roster was at the same size (10) as it is today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the words of Mars Blackmon, a.k.a. Spike Lee, "It's gotta be the shoes."

Maybe it's time to ditch Nike? :confused:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I did some researching this morning on stress reactions and stress fractures. Too much info to go into here and some of it contradictory and slightly confusing.

But one of the things mentioned was footwear. Could also be a players natural gate. Another cause could be nutrition.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the words of Mars Blackmon, a.k.a. Spike Lee, "It's gotta be the shoes."

Maybe it's time to ditch Nike? :confused:

C' mon oldude, you know that's not going to happen. If you're an athlete, regardless of which sport, Nike has a shoe for you. I just happen to be in one of the Nike super stores in Las Vegas yesterday. The store was crowded as usual. Most of the customers in the store during my visit was in the shoe section. I saw young/old, men/women/girls/boys. Many of them had 2-3 boxes of shoes under their arms they were going to purchase. I have a relative that works in a Nike super store. She says it's busy in there EVERYDAY, 7 days a week. Nike is still very popular, and making money hand over fist. Nike and the other BIG shoe companies have their marketing strategies down pat. Once they contract with a college or pro-athlete, they do everything possible to maintain a harmonious contractual relationship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
C' mon oldude, you know that's not going to happen. If you're an athlete, regardless of which sport, Nike has a shoe for you. I just happen to be in one of the Nike super stores in Las Vegas yesterday. The store was crowded as usual. Most of the customers in the store during my visit was in the shoe section. I saw young/old, men/women/girls/boys. Many of them had 2-3 boxes of shoes under their arms they were going to purchase. I have a relative that works in a Nike super store. She says it's busy in there EVERYDAY, 7 days a week. Nike is still very popular, and making money hand over fist. Nike and the other BIG shoe companies have their marketing strategies down pat. Once they contract with a college or pro-athlete, they do everything possible to maintain a harmonious contractual relationship.
Yes, I suppose you're right. :oops: As an old dude, I remember long ago how excited I was to get my first pair of Converse All-Stars. :)

Reaction Score
On another note if you have back issues or feet issues Nike is the absolute worst shoe you can wear! No one can beat their styles and designs.
Sadly I have had to settle for a bland pair of New Balance.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have no stress reaction because I have no stress and no reaction.

Except somewhere around April 15th. Ok? So let's leave it there, ok?

Ok!

Reaction Score

Not to worry---the stress fracture will happen this year---but not likely next year--Rotation beyond rotations to rotate players in and out---rather than stress fractures next year --we'll have boredom fractures of the glutus maximus awaiting their turn to play. So this year is what it is --it's in the can --as movie duffs a loath to say--press on to next year!!

The kind of kid Kia is ---I doubt if it was caught very early...same is true of Ms Crystal..

Reaction Score
Yes, I suppose you're right. :oops: As an old dude, I remember long ago how excited I was to get my first pair of Converse All-Stars. :)
Mine were Goodyear black hightop sneakers---right from the Goodyear Rubber plant on Rubber Avenue, Naugatuck. Seconds of course!!

Reaction Score
I agree--30 years doing the wrong thing--it's time for him to move in the Basketball heaven--ESPN. Again I offer positive replacement s--who probably never have physical stress reactions (note physical) ---Holly and jPM.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kia has a problem - she has been playing summer and winter since before she arrived at Storrs with her team Canada commitments - she is experiencing the same issue that the pros do, but at a much younger age. And it isn't going to stop ... the Canadian national team has to qualify each 'off year' for the WC/Olympics unlike the USA team so they are active every summer (unless they don't qualify.)

Reaction Score
Geno always lightens the load in practice at the end of the season. It's one of the reasons they are able to peak so well for the tournaments.

Reaction Score
I have no stress reaction because I have no stress and no reaction.

Except somewhere around April 15th. Ok? So let's leave it there, ok?

Ok!
What's April 15th? Opening day of fishing season?

Reaction Score

VOWEL PLAY: Just as there is a time and a place for spontaneity, there might be other less impulsive sarcasm opportunities. Notwithstanding the panic responses, I agree that this remains another chance for Geno to repeat the magic planning he's used to prepare our team for repeated challenges. And just as Viggio Mortenson had a history of violence, the nation's best coach has met and surpassed most problematic situations.

Reaction Score
The most impressive thing about WCBB is the fact that the players exceed the limits of their bodies to play with a passion unmatched in any other sports.
And for VERY little recompense besides fan adoration (Well maybe not at UT).
Respect.

JordyG

Reaction Score
What's April 15th? Opening day of fishing season?
Yes. As far as I'm concerned any search the government does into my finances after that point IS a fishing expedition.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kia has a problem - she has been playing summer and winter since before she arrived at Storrs with her team Canada commitments - she is experiencing the same issue that the pros do, but at a much younger age. And it isn't going to stop ... the Canadian national team has to qualify each 'off year' for the WC/Olympics unlike the USA team so they are active every summer (unless they don't qualify.)
Dead correct. Actually as we remember, the first problem caused by her year round playing was her sport hernia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom