Stratton’s Stand: Reviewing the 5 Big East recruits in ESPN’s HOOPGURLZ Top 100 | The Boneyard

Stratton’s Stand: Reviewing the 5 Big East recruits in ESPN’s HOOPGURLZ Top 100

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Patterson seems to shoot only with her right hand, which can be a handicap for a big, whereas Brady, a natural lefty, uses either hand effectively when going to the basket.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Patterson seems to shoot only with her right hand, which can be a handicap for a big, whereas Brady, a natural lefty, uses either hand effectively when going to the basket.
Patterson strikes me as a bigger and stronger version Aubrey Griffin. Her offensive skills need lots of work. Might be a project. Hope not, but watching this USA Junior 3X3 made me think she may not have the same freshman year that Aaliyah did. However, watching Makala Williams was delightful. Convince her NILs for UCONN players are the best.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Georgetown has signed a top 100 prospect. Hopefully she’ll help elevate their level of play. Need more top 100 recruits heading to the big east to compete with the P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Identifies Patterson as a wing. Interesting.
Patterson strikes me as a bigger and stronger version Aubrey Griffin. Her offensive skills need lots of work. Might be a project...
I can see Ayanna's ultimate wing categorization insofar as her athleticism, ball handling, movement fluidity, & versatility portend such flexibility/potential. In fact, I think restricting Patterson to post play would be shortchanging her development. NaLyssa Smith is a good comparable for what Ayanna can become. After mostly operating in the paint under Kim Mulkey, Nikki Collen has her playing from the wing regularly & shooting the ball from range given similar athleticism. I see Ayanna as the closest female basketball equivalent of Lebron James based on build/athleticism. Lebron is PF-size but with clear wing ability/movement.

I also think we all will be pleasantly surprised by Ayanna's jump shot in Storrs. Her form is already very solid & she makes a decent percentage considering infrequent attempts. Apparently, her makeup & work ethic are stellar as well. WRT Aubrey, I think Ayanna's shot is more advanced & fluid at this stage.

Speaking thereof, I also think we will see a significantly improved jumper & willingness to shoot from Aubrey upon her court return. Judging from roster balance, pro positional projection, & Geno's comments, Aubrey will be playing more wing than post minutes for the remainder of her UConn tenure-- given Ayanna/Ice arrivals & especially if Dorka returns and/or Amari/Piath continue to improve enough to warrant regular PT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, is Ice Brady skilled! Aware already but that article embedded video is a resounding reminder.

We have discussed Ciera Toomey's impressive size/shooting/range/handle package extensively in the monthly Recruiting threads, but I don't recall enough such attention afforded to Ice. I see her as perhaps the most college-ready high-level D1 big to arrive in Storrs since Napheesa Collier, but really Brianna Stewart (not the same pique talent/ceiling but similar ability to impact the game in meaningful minutes as a freshman post). Aaliyah Edwards was college-ready physically, but her ability to contribute offensively was limited strictly to banging in the paint.

Besides impressive shooting, footwork, dexterity, post play, handle for size, passing, fundamentals-- what separates Ice is her strong, sturdy frame. Unlike what we saw from Liv & now Amari early in their respective UConn careers, I don't anticipate Ice being pushed around in the paint nor shying away from contact starting Day 1 on campus. Her comfort with physicality, shooting range, passing, & handle will allow her to immediately play on the low block, high post, & even out to the 3-point arc while preserving Geno's coveted preference to space the floor. Ice's only present "weakness" may be conditioning for the college game, particularly at the pace/level that Geno demands.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom