Strategy Against Baylor | The Boneyard

Strategy Against Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Need more outside shooting; can't drive to the basket as well against BG.
Will we try to press them full court?
Will we try to sub more for Dolson; play physical against BG to get her in foul trouble?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I can't imagine NOT full court pressing. We need to do everything imaginable to tire out and throw off Sims.

Reaction Score
We are not shutting down BG. Make the other 4 players on the court beat you. The way our defense is playing, I don't think they can do that.

Note that ESPN is already hyping 1 V 2. I hope the game lives up to the hype. It will be good for WBB.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Defensive pressure and intensity. Go at Baylor hard and fast for 40 minutes. I don't think Baylor will be able to keep up.

A 20 point win would be delightful!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am so excited for this game! So glad I got my ticket back in November...got my blue UConn t-shirt ready!

Reaction Score
I am so excited for this game! So glad I got my ticket back in November...got my blue UConn t-shirt ready!

Maybe you should wear it over a flack jacket!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ha. Baylor fans are pretty respectful of UConn, I think. I wore a UConn sweatshirt to the regional final in Dallas last year and got lots of positive comments.

Reaction Score
My theory is Geno will pull Dolson out of the post and play her at the top of the foul line forcing BG to come out and play her or she will shoot 3's all night long. Ball movement, spacing and 3pt shooting will unravel The Bears.......Make no mistake, this Baylor team is a very good team and will be tough to get them off their game.

UCONN loves the road and tries to take make the local team a jump shooting team early and because of their nerves and all the hype of the home crowd, UCONN builds up an early lead and never looks back.

The 2011/2012 Circus is coming to Waco, TX.........

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The offensive structure with four out last night may work well against Baylor.

HGN

Reaction Score
I WANT to blow them out by 20.
IceBear , I'll take blowing them out by just one(1)..........LOL ...I just want to WIN. It should be one whale of a game though.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I want our margin of victory total to be equal to the fashion violation level of Mulkey's outfit that night on a scale of 1 to 20.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As great as BG is, you can't concede anything to her on offense or defense. You have to do what you can to at least make her work and try to wear her down. If she's got fresh legs at the end of the game, it's going to be challenging to win.

I think it's also critical that you don't let Sims be the second-best player on the court. Unless you're the 2004 Lakers, the basketball team with the two best players tends to win. After Griner and Sims, UConn matches up quite well with Baylor, but that's not enough if Griner and Sims are better than anyone else on the floor.

This has gotta be a game like last night where the "six starters" all play well. If UConn swarms and imposes its will, they can win, but if Griner imposes hers, it's going to be a tall order to win.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If Im coaching I try to keep Griner away from the basket with Stef Heather and Kiah. I thought TN did a good job of that in the first half. When she does get the ball underneath try to take a charge but dont foul, let her have it. I would sufficate Sims with defense and press them keeping the ball out of her hands. After watching the Minny Baylor and TN Baylor games I got 2 things from those games. Griner wants to intimadate and not foul and only block shots when shes in position. Second both opponets took the ball to the hoop and scored when Griner was away from the basket. I have no fear playing Baylor. If Stef gets in foul trouble we could have a problem. But I dont think that happens. Minny and TN both had alot of open shots. I really like our chances this game. If we get it going we could win by over 20 but I think we win by double digets, unless we're shooting bricks which I highly doubt. UConn has shown they can find ways to win and UConn has just too many scorers. Our defense will shine big time in this one. How many fans thought we would beat TAM by over 20? How many fans preseason thought we would be 8-0? Here we go again. Dont forget this is suppose to be a rebuilding year, with Maya graduation. I can only imagine next season. This is a fun ride.

Reaction Score
Baylor does not want to play at that tempo. The higher the tempo, the less impact BG will have. Baylor would like time for BG to establish herself in the post , if the game is played at last night's pace BG will get points but will not dominate. I believe huskies have personnel to control Sims, not stop her. If huskies hit threes they win.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
We need to be the first to get off blows. Smack them in the mouth hard and fast. Put them back on their heels and tamp down the Waco crowd. Get some doubts seeping into their heads.

The key is to shut down Sims as much as possible. Easier said than done, but if anyone can do the job, it will be our complement of exceptional guards. Sims is the straw that stirs Baylor's offense via entry passes, dribble penetration and outside shooting. Need to make her life miserable and disrupt their flow. Our full-court press should focus on trapping Sims and forcing her to pass the ball out of her hands against the swarming pressure. That will eat up time and give her less time to set up their half court offense, hopefully leading to many rushed sets and shots.

Griner is gonna get her points. She's just too tall and her arms are too long to stop completely on offense. But we'll still need to make her work hard to get her points because she does fatigue. Aside from the fouls taking Bone out of last night's game early, Stef did an excellent job of bodying her out of the paint and rendering her a none factor. Stef can't stop Griner's shot and can't afford to get in foul trouble, but she can box her out and keep her shooting 6-10 footers and away from offensive boards. TN effectively limited Griner's rebounds (7) with double teams and great boxing out. Our compliment of bigs should do the same. Really looking forward to seeing Heather's minutes and rematch with Griner and to see how disruptive Kiah's long arms will be on her as well. :)

Conditioning at this point in the season could be the deciding factor and if that's the case, I like our chances. UConn wins by double digits in Waco and Mulkey implodes! ;)

Reaction Score
the zebras can have a huge impact on this game, especially since the game is at baylor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
the zebras can have a huge impact on this game, especially since the game is at baylor.
You have to beat everyone who is on the hardwood. Always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom