Stranger Things Netflix (SPOILERS) | The Boneyard

Stranger Things Netflix (SPOILERS)

Reaction Score
This is a thread for those of us that have watched Season 1 and want to discuss it. What was everyone's feelings about season 1? I really enjoyed it. Did we ever figure out what happened to Nancy's friend the girl attacked at the pool? I may of missed it but she wasnt with Will in the "other dimension?"

Reaction Score
This is a thread for those of us that have watched Season 1 and want to discuss it. What was everyone's feelings about season 1? I really enjoyed it. Did we ever figure out what happened to Nancy's friend the girl attacked at the pool? I may of missed it but she wasnt with Will in the "other dimension?"

She was cooked as we saw. While the Yves kid was looking alive she was in huge trouble with bugs and stuff coming from her not - DEAD

Reaction Score
She was cooked as we saw. While the Yves kid was looking alive she was in huge trouble with bugs and stuff coming from her not - DEAD
yeah i actually reread some summary and must of not been paying attention to that part. I'm curious as to where this show goes.

Reaction Score
So I read an article the other day about the Duffer Brothers, the makers of the show. They talked about how they have a 30-page document explaining the upside down and how it works. They said at this point, we, the viewers, only know as much as the kids know and that's intentional. They said they are very interested in exploring what this document entails in future seasons if Netflix renews them (which is going to happen if it hasn't already.)

Reaction Score
Just finished the last episode last night. Such a fun show and they definitely have places to go in the next season. So are we to now believe the "evil" gov't guys were actually good since they were trying to stop the monsters? Eleven got her powers by being in the womb when her mother went upside down right? Should we expect Will to go into the other universe at will? Maybe I missed this but who picked up the cop in a car at the end?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just finished the last episode last night. Such a fun show and they definitely have places to go in the next season. So are we to now believe the "evil" gov't guys were actually good since they were trying to stop the monsters? Eleven got her powers by being in the womb when her mother went upside down right? Should we expect Will to go into the other universe at will? Maybe I missed this but who picked up the cop in a car at the end?
My takeaway was the government was using her as a form of mind control with the Russians. The upside down is a realm they happened to enter when experimenting and became something much more dangerous than they imagined.

Reaction Score
Wondering what that means for Will that he was coughing up slugs? Is he going to have an alienesque creature explosion from his chest next season? One can only hope...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
yeah i actually reread some summary and must of not been paying attention to that part. I'm curious as to where this show goes.
In the middle school...when they put Elle in the pool...she began her search for both Will and Barb. The first thing she found was a pile of dead Barb. Then Will in his fort.

I assumed Elle's mother went vegetative due to depression from losing her kid. And we only saw that the Govt guys were using Elle to find the beast. I don't believe we know how the Gate was actually discovered. We only heard Elle saying she found it.

- I have not read anything about the show anywhere online yet.

Reaction Score
In the middle school...when they put Elle in the pool...she began her search for both Will and Barb. The first thing she found was a pile of dead Barb. Then Will in his fort.

I assumed Elle's mother went vegetative due to depression from losing her kid. And we only saw that the Govt guys were using Elle to find the beast. I don't believe we know how the Gate was actually discovered. We only heard Elle saying she found it.

- I have not read anything about the show anywhere online yet.
During a flashback in the penultimate episode they show Elle coming face to face with the monster in the upside-down (she got there through the sensory deprivation tank) and freaking out, causing the wall to crack in the exact spot where the gate is. I assumed this event is Elle creating the gate by creating a ton of energy in the upside-down.

Also I guess we assume that Elle is currently in the upside-down? Hopper leaves some snacks and eggos in the chest in the woods. I really don't understand this relationship that he has with the lab now but he clearly knows how to leave things for Elle.

Reaction Score
During a flashback in the penultimate episode they show Elle coming face to face with the monster in the upside-down (she got there through the sensory deprivation tank) and freaking out, causing the wall to crack in the exact spot where the gate is. I assumed this event is Elle creating the gate by creating a ton of energy in the upside-down.

Also I guess we assume that Elle is currently in the upside-down? Hopper leaves some snacks and eggos in the chest in the woods. I really don't understand this relationship that he has with the lab now but he clearly knows how to leave things for Elle.
and don't forget how he gets picked up in a black car and willingly goes at the end. No idea what that's about but it would imply he knows more than he's letting on.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
and don't forget how he gets picked up in a black car and willingly goes at the end. No idea what that's about but it would imply he knows more than he's letting on.
He mentioned to Joyce that after they were caught, he made a deal.

Reaction Score
He mentioned to Joyce that after they were caught, he made a deal.
Oh, that's right. Forgot about that. Crazy how similar the cop looks to Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I assumed Elle's mother went vegetative due to depression from losing her kid.

I thought El's mother went vegetative due to the MK-Ultra experiments.

And we only saw that the Govt guys we
re using Elle to find the beast. I don't believe we know how the Gate was actually discovered. We only heard Elle saying she found it.
My takeaway was the government was using her as a form of mind control with the Russians. The upside down is a realm they happened to enter when experimenting and became something much more dangerous than they imagined.

There was a point in the show where El said that she was responsible for opening the rift/gate to the upside down. Implying she was responsible for the Demogorgon coming to this reality, and therefore she's responsible for the deaths that occurred. She was racked with guilt about it.

As Flux says, the realm she entered during experimentation was unexpected. The scientists were simply trying to turn her into a mind control weapon (what the experiments were all about). I don't even think Modine and company knew she was going into another realm during this process, as they couldn't actually see what was going on in her mind, until the point when an actual rift was opened up between realities.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just before her last immersion Modine told El she was going to see something and not to be afraid. He knew something.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just before her last immersion Modine told El she was going to see something and not to be afraid. He knew something.

But how would he know anything if he's presumably never had anyone like her? No saying your wrong.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
But how would he know anything if he's presumably never had anyone like her? No saying your wrong.
Maybe he has had someone like her before. Hmmmmmm.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Maybe he has had someone like her before. Hmmmmmm.
She is number 11, after all.

I just don't think Modine ever thought a rift between the two worlds could happen where the beast could come and go as he pleases.

So is Will is now possessed with a demonbaby inside him?

Eleven is obviously still alive.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
She is number 11, after all.
I just don't think Modine ever thought a rift between the two worlds could happen where the beast could come and go as he pleases.

She was obviously very unusual, as supposedly a product of her mother mother being accidentally pregnant during the MKultra experiments. I took the flashbacks of her originally working with Modine to mean that she is special/unique, and was leading Modine to things (and places) they'd never previously experienced as scientists. The simplest of her mental tricks seemed to blow them away at first.

Or perhaps the others had died before Modine got anything of substance out of them.

Or maybe she was Number 11 in a series of tangential but unrelated 'underground' experiments.

Who knows?

Reaction Score
I finally was able to watch the show last week and really enjoyed it. As others have said, the homages to Spielberg and King were right on. The scene where the little girl is walking down the hall as the colored Christmas lights start to blink was right out of Spielberg's playbook.

Did the monster in the Upside Down look like the demogorgon from the Dungeons & Dragons game? If so, does that mean that the game and the Upside Down are somehow connected? Does the monster look like that because that's what Will thinks the monster would look like?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Did the monster in the Upside Down look like the demogorgon from the Dungeons & Dragons game? If so, does that mean that the game and the Upside Down are somehow connected? Does the monster look like that because that's what Will thinks the monster would look like?

Nah, that was just a useful metaphor/plot device. Real demogorgon's got two monkey-like heads.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Just sharing this theory that Eleven and the Monster are the same entity. It did catch my attention when Ele said "I am the monster".

This 'Stranger Things' Theory Explains the Connection Between Eleven & The Monster

netflix-stranger-things-demogorgon-monster.jpg

Reaction Score
Just an FYI - The "Gate" was opened when El touched the monster in teh upside down. The most likely theory would be that the two dimensions were separate, and for the most part, neither would be aware of the other. Until a member of this dimension touched a member of the upside down and it became aware of the other dimension.

Much like in GOT where the white walkers were able to cross because Bran touched one of them in his vision.

I would suggest that the people at the lab were just doing whatever experiments they could and happened across the upside down where they discovered the presence of someone or something else. So, naturally, they pursued it. Once their actions caused the gate to open, they're really only concerned with one thing - covering their own asses. Not the good guys. The only time their actions would align with "good" would be out of pure coincidence when the right thing happens to be their own self preservation.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just an FYI - The "Gate" was opened when El touched the monster in teh upside down. The most likely theory would be that the two dimensions were separate, and for the most part, neither would be aware of the other. Until a member of this dimension touched a member of the upside down and it became aware of the other dimension.

Much like in GOT where the white walkers were able to cross because Bran touched one of them in his vision.

I would suggest that the people at the lab were just doing whatever experiments they could and happened across the upside down where they discovered the presence of someone or something else. So, naturally, they pursued it. Once their actions caused the gate to open, they're really only concerned with one thing - covering their own asses. Not the good guys. The only time their actions would align with "good" would be out of pure coincidence when the right thing happens to be their own self preservation.

Pretty close to what I thought above. I am a genius. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom