Strange Minutes Tomorrow Against SMU? | The Boneyard

Strange Minutes Tomorrow Against SMU?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Most of you will recall that two years ago, two days before the first game in Storrs against South Carolina, UConn played Memphis. After only 2 or 3 minutes, Geno pulled Stewie and Tuck, and ever since he has said that it was because their heads weren't where they needed to be for that game.

I've never bought that. I think he knew that there would be a grueling practice on Sunday, and he didn't want them running themselves ragged for three days in a row, with the third day being the Monday night game against the Gamecocks.

I'm wondering if something similar will happen tomorrow against SMU. Maybe Geno will start a lineup such as Butler / Irwin / Bent / Dangerfield / Chong, and let them try to beat SMU with only minimal help from the other regular starters. Maybe he will find some reason to pull some of the starters out after only a few minutes, probably using a different pretext than he did two years ago. Or maybe he will just remove the starters in the first half when UConn only has a 15 point lead, and let the bench try to hold that lead.

Frankly, I hope we see something like that. As a fan, I would like to see the bench players take responsibility for winning a real game against a real opponent, if not a particularly distinguished one. If they aren't getting it done, he can always put the starters in during the game, but I hope he doesn't have to.

Reaction Score
I almost totally agree with your...skepticism...regarding that "benching". I think the poor play was the excuse that he needed to get them some pine-time.

I anticipate a normal first quarter, and then if they are up as expected, some changes on the floor. I expect to see plenty of Butler and Irwin with Dangerfield at the point, sort of a prep for a possible second shift to put on the floor (if they are needed).

Reaction Score
I agree geno should bench the starters for tomorrow's Game. I think the bench can win the game without them.

Reaction Score
Just curious...has Geno ever changed his starting five for a particular opponent except for either an injury or someone just proving themselves in practice? Changing your starting line up is like being a counter puncher. Geno doesn't counter punch, he imposes his will on the other team.

Reaction Score
I have suspected the same thing. I think starters likely to play first half, bench playing all or most of the second half. Geno is the master so we can only wait and see.

Reaction Score
I have suspected the same thing. I think starters likely to play first half, bench playing all or most of the second half. Geno is the master so we can only wait and see.

I agree and add that I doubt they will have a "grueling" practice on Sunday, more of a walk through.

Reaction Score
Most of you will recall that two years ago, two days before the first game in Storrs against South Carolina, UConn played Memphis. After only 2 or 3 minutes, Geno pulled Stewie and Tuck, and ever since he has said that it was because their heads weren't where they needed to be for that game.

I've never bought that. I think he knew that there would be a grueling practice on Sunday, and he didn't want them running themselves ragged for three days in a row, with the third day being the Monday night game against the Gamecocks.

I'm wondering if something similar will happen tomorrow against SMU. Maybe Geno will start a lineup such as Butler / Irwin / Bent / Dangerfield / Chong, and let them try to beat SMU with only minimal help from the other regular starters. Maybe he will find some reason to pull some of the starters out after only a few minutes, probably using a different pretext than he did two years ago. Or maybe he will just remove the starters in the first half when UConn only has a 15 point lead, and let the bench try to hold that lead.

Frankly, I hope we see something like that. As a fan, I would like to see the bench players take responsibility for winning a real game against a real opponent, if not a particularly distinguished one. If they aren't getting it done, he can always put the starters in during the game, but I hope he doesn't have to.

Geno in big games does what he can to take the pressure off his team. So I don't doubt your scenario--Geno pulled his top 3 to have them rested!
Also--you did a lot of thinking on the USC game didn't you!!--I'd like to see the last 4 in all previous games to get into this SMU game in the first quarter. We fans sometimes brag--Uconn's subs can beat any team in the country --now is our chance to find out--of course the 5th player will require at least one Starter to be on the floor during the game. However --in your thinking --you may have overlooked --Natalie may be needed for big time--long time playing in the USC game--she needs more rest than Gabby. I think Danger and Molly can run 24 hours for the next 3 days and still want to play 40 more during the uSC game.

Reaction Score
Playing all the subs together does little to help the team. If the subs are going to be of help in winning a championship they need to learn how to play with the starters, 3 or 4 of whom will be on the floor for the entire game in the NCAA's. Especially for Dangerfield and Butler who will probably be the only bench players to see any meaningful minutes.

But as far as Saturday' game I agree that the starters will see limited minutes.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I agree geno should bench the starters for tomorrow's Game. I think the bench can win the game without them.

Or maybe bench the starters, deliberately lose the game, thereby removing the monkey (the 100 consecutive) off their back and they can play freely against SC, ready to start a new streak.

(Unless someone mentions the back-to-back streak, which is much more impressive, so I guess.... nevermind.)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
From the limited perspective of a fan, I don`t see anyone in need of a wake up call.

There is also no need to stray from the routine that has worked so well, although I would expect more second quarter substitutions and starters playing closer to 24-25 minutes than 29-30.

Here`s a reason to keep things constant - the need to get Lou out of her mini-funk. The best way to do that is to play as usual and get her at least 15 shots. Want her going into SC game on a positive note.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, but I don't buy for one second this revisionist "extra rest" explanation about the 2015 Memphis game. For one thing, not everybody got extra rest; benching Stewie and Morgan (and Kiah) meant that KML, Moriah, and Kia each played 30+ minutes, which was more than they'd have ordinarily played in a typical AAC blowout. I suppose it's theoretically possible that only those first three players needed the added rest, for some unknown reason, but then I doubt that Geno would have played them at all (just as Stewie and Moriah each sat out a game last year for precautionary/nagging injury reasons). I honestly don't see the point of having a healthy starter go through all the pregame warmups only to bench her after 4 or 5 minutes, unless the coach is unhappy with how she's playing. Now, if someone wants to say that Geno chose that particular game to send that particular message because South Carolina was up next, THAT is something I can absolutely believe. But IMO it's implausible that Geno sat those three players just to give them extra rest and then proceeded to embarrass them needlessly after the game by concocting a fake story about how he was dissatisfied with their play.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, but I don't buy for one second this revisionist "extra rest" explanation about the 2015 Memphis game. For one thing, not everybody got extra rest; benching Stewie and Morgan (and Kiah) meant that KML, Moriah, and Kia each played 30+ minutes, which was more than they'd have ordinarily played in a typical AAC blowout. I suppose it's theoretically possible that only those first three players needed the added rest, for some unknown reason, but then I doubt that Geno would have played them at all (just as Stewie and Moriah each sat out a game last year for precautionary/nagging injury reasons). I honestly don't see the point of having a healthy starter go through all the pregame warmups only to bench her after 4 or 5 minutes, unless the coach is unhappy with how she's playing. Now, if someone wants to say that Geno chose that particular game to send that particular message because South Carolina was up next, THAT is something I can absolutely believe. But IMO it's implausible that Geno sat those three players just to give them extra rest and then proceeded to embarrass them needlessly after the game by concocting a fake story about how he was dissatisfied with their play.

Both things can be true; they aren't mutually exclusive.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
KLS didn't practice and may not play tomorrow. She's sick again.

Reaction Score

So you think that Geno publicly humiliated Tuck and Stewart by benching them and outing them to media when he could have just not played them at all and told the press he wanted to rest them? The practices the day before a tough game are very rarely anything more than a glorified walk through so I really doubt he was worried about them getting exhausted at practice. Let's just say for some extreme and unheard of chance he did plan to practice them hard on the day before a game, why not just sit them during the practice and not in the previous game? The ONLY reason that Stewart and Tuck were benched was to send them a message that he wasn't happy with the way they were playing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The ONLY reason that Stewart and Tuck were benched was to send them a message that he wasn't happy with the way they were playing.

I think he wasn't happy with the entire starting unit which had "struggled" early in games leading up to Memphis and decided to send everyone a message by benching his superstar and favorite player.

Reaction Score
Or maybe bench the starters, deliberately lose the game, thereby removing the monkey (the 100 consecutive) off their back and they can play freely against SC, ready to start a new streak.

(Unless someone mentions the back-to-back streak, which is much more impressive, so I guess... nevermind.)
Ugh, not the fictional monkey again.:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom