Strange Comment in Seth Davis's 2016 Preview | The Boneyard

Strange Comment in Seth Davis's 2016 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@tcf15 already detailed the point that Davis made on Geno. But something in his discussion of Wichita State jumped out at me:

Most of the time, when a mid-major plays deep into the NCAA tournament, it regresses within a year or two. That’s what makes what Gregg Marshall is doing at Wichita State so remarkable. The Shockers have remained among the nation’s best teams even after reaching the 2013 Final Four. The following year, they gave Kentucky its toughest test before falling in the second round, 78-76. Last year, Wichita State returned to the Sweet 16, where it lost to Notre Dame.

Umm... isn't beating them their toughest test?

Further, they needed last minute shots to beat Michigan and Wisconsin that year.

But, yeah, Kentucky didn't win the 2014 title, we did. And we beat them.

What a strange, strange, strange thing to say.

Reaction Score
At the time it was Kentucky's toughest test. But yea, poorly worded by Seth.

Reaction Score
National championships don't count. This explains UConn's predicament.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 already detailed the point that Davis made on Geno. But something in his discussion of Wichita State jumped out at me:

Most of the time, when a mid-major plays deep into the NCAA tournament, it regresses within a year or two. That’s what makes what Gregg Marshall is doing at Wichita State so remarkable. The Shockers have remained among the nation’s best teams even after reaching the 2013 Final Four. The following year, they gave Kentucky its toughest test before falling in the second round, 78-76. Last year, Wichita State returned to the Sweet 16, where it lost to Notre Dame.

Umm... isn't beating them their toughest test?

Further, they needed last minute shots to beat Michigan and Wisconsin that year.

But, yeah, Kentucky didn't win the 2014 title, we did. And we beat them.

What a strange, strange, strange thing to say.

What bothers me the most about that quote is it makes it sounds like UK was some juggernaut destined to get to the title game. In fact, WSU was undefeated and a 1 seed. UK was an 8 seed. They had a mediocre regular season and got hot at the right time.

But if UK had beaten us, I can guarantee nobody would be talking about that run as a fluke championship. And yet, UK wore the road uniforms in the title game. There's a reason for that.

Reaction Score
In fairness, the article was about the Shockers. Not UK, not UConn, or Michigan, or ........

Reaction Score
In fairness, the article was about the Shockers. Not UK, not UConn, or Michigan, or ...
But Kentucky wasn't even that great that year. They were an 8-seed. So why is it a thing to be proud of that an undefeated 1-seed gave an 8-seed "their toughest test"?

And again, it's just factually wrong.

Reaction Score
tzznandrew said:
But Kentucky wasn't even that great that year. They were an 8-seed. So why is it a thing to be proud of that an undefeated 1-seed gave an 8-seed "their toughest test"? And again, it's just factually wrong.

I'd almost guess that he just got his wires crossed in his head and was thinking about their title team. You don't really use that expression unless you are talking about a team that won it all.

pj

Reaction Score
Logically, once could infer he means we were an easier test that Kentucky failed.

More likely, he is grammatically challenged and just means that Wichita State forced Kentucky to play their best basketball.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd almost guess that he just got his wires crossed in his head and was thinking about their title team. You don't really use that expression unless you are talking about a team that won it all.

I'd put money on that.

Reaction Score
But Kentucky wasn't even that great that year. They were an 8-seed. So why is it a thing to be proud of that an undefeated 1-seed gave an 8-seed "their toughest test"?

And again, it's just factually wrong.
Yeah, but what do you expect from BSPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member