Straight line drives | The Boneyard

Straight line drives

Reaction Score
It’s one problem we haven’t figured out. It’s really the big reason we lost 8 instead of 4. It’s why our worst game of season was against a bad team( St. John’s). Last night St Mary’s started using it and was successful for a period of time. If we want to advance from here on in we must focus on stopping this one particular let down area. Arkansas has a team kind of like Miami that can penetrate from multiple positions. But they don’t have much interior game nor do they shoot it that well. But we can get pounded by 1-1 drives like a much better version of St. John’s here. Our biggest need will be keeping our man defense straight up and try to get them to shoot tough 2s

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It’s one problem we haven’t figured out. It’s really the big reason we lost 8 instead of 4. It’s why our worst game of season was against a bad team( St. John’s). Last night St Mary’s started using it and was successful for a period of time. If we want to advance from here on in we must focus on stopping this one particular let down area. Arkansas has a team kind of like Miami that can penetrate from multiple positions. But they don’t have much interior game nor do they shoot it that well. But we can get pounded by 1-1 drives like a much better version of St. John’s here. Our biggest need will be keeping our man defense straight up and try to get them to shoot tough 2s
But Arkansas does not have a big man that would keep Clingan occupied so he can stay in the lane and challenge all the dribble penetration. Earlier in the season Hurley was not countering that problem by playing Clingan. I know it stinks to sit Sanogo but if we start to see it like we did against St Mary the answer is 7 feet and 2 inches!!!

Reaction Score
It's a conundrum. AS is needed on the offensive end while DC is needed on the defensive end. What would you rather have? It will all depend on how the game is going.

Reaction Score
Arkansas will surely do this and we’ll foul them, rather do that than just let them get to the rim. It will test our depth.

Reaction Score
Looks like my awful idea of some Sampson getting minutes in the zone might have some light here. Can’t risk as and dc and even ak or aj all holding 2 by half time. If we are holding them in check the hogs will only push harder to get fouls. TN and JC will def draw a few charges but I would not think more than 5 combined. If we can draw 4 offensive charges by half ark is done.

Reaction Score
I didn’t like giving up those uncontested layups either, and it probably meant we were missing some rotation assignments, but look — our strategy is to run people off the 3 point line, both because you give up less points per shot normally allowing 2s rather than 3s, and because the drives at least take energy and we’re still playing a 9 man rotation and trying to wear folks down.

That’s not excusing how poor the rotations were for a few minutes, but we choose to give up driving opportunities as opposed to open 3s. The other teams are trying too — you can’t take away everything.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Looks like my awful idea of some Sampson getting minutes in the zone might have some light here.

It is still an awful idea and if he sees meaningful minutes (anything over 6 minutes) it will indicate that something has gone tragically wrong for us. No knock on Samson, he had an injury at a rough time of the season and missed getting himself up to game speed. Bad luck.

Reaction Score
I didn’t like giving up those uncontested layups either, and it probably meant we were missing some rotation assignments, but look — our strategy is to run people off the 3 point line, both because you give up less points per shot normally allowing 2s rather than 3s, and because the drives at least take energy and we’re still playing a 9 man rotation and trying to wear folks down.

That’s not excusing how poor the rotations were for a few minutes, but we choose to give up driving opportunities as opposed to open 3s. The other teams are trying too — you can’t take away everything.
Doesn’t make sense to utilize that strategy for this upcoming game. There should be adjustments made.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

All true, but therein lies the rub. Arkansas is not a good 3 shooting team. Running them off the 3 line (which is our trademark) plays to their strength. Im sure Coach Hurley knows this and is prepared and preparing for it. It's hard though when that is a defensive hallmark and those habits are ingrained over a whole season. In today's day and age it is the smart play most of the time to play the way we do and that is why we are so good .

Reaction Score
Doesn’t make sense to utilize that strategy for this upcoming game. There should be adjustments made.
I don’t disagree. The question is whether the right strategy to play Arkansas is an adjustment, or whether you’re asking your team to do something entirely different than what you’ve done and worked on all year. But your point — that offensively this is a more talented version of St. John’s — is certainly well taken.

Reaction Score
All true, but therein lies the rub. Arkansas is not a good 3 shooting team. Running them off the 3 line (which is our trademark) plays to their strength. Im sure Coach Hurley knows this and is prepared and preparing for it. It's hard though when that is a defensive hallmark and those habits are ingrained over a whole season. In today's day and age it is the smart play most of the time to play the way we do and that is why we are so good .
Fully agree. Hurley has to figure out how much you can adjust without causing us to not be nearly as good defensively.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree. The question is whether the right strategy to play Arkansas is an adjustment, or whether you’re asking your team to do something entirely different than what you’ve done and worked on all year. But your point — that offensively this is a more talented version of St. John’s — is certainly well taken.

That's always the challenge isn't it? Finding the balance between adjustment and not giving up your identity or what you are good at.

It's like expecting a team to play a really high level 2-3 matchup zone, when 99% of defensive possessions over a season were aggressive man. Sometimes it can work, other times you are actually doing the opponent a favor by not playing what you are best at.

This is why good coaches make the big bucks, and we can all sit here throwing crap at the wall thinking we are John Wooden. :)

Reaction Score
That's always the challenge isn't it? Finding the balance between adjustment and not giving up your identity or what you are good at.

It's like expecting a team to play a really high level 2-3 matchup zone, when 99% of defensive possessions over a season were aggressive man. Sometimes it can work, other times you are actually doing the opponent a favor by not playing what you are best at.

This is why good coaches make the big bucks, and we can all sit here throwing crap at the wall thinking we are John Wooden. :)
Good points…but do we need to play a really high level 2-3 zone? If they aren’t a good shooting team, doesn’t having DC in the block provide a lot of rim protection…and keep the guards out of foul trouble? And if the opponent is preparing for us to play man, do we we confuse them by playing even an avg zone

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Looks like my awful idea of some Sampson getting minutes in the zone might have some light here. Can’t risk as and dc and even ak or aj all holding 2 by half time. If we are holding them in check the hogs will only push harder to get fouls. TN and JC will def draw a few charges but I would not think more than 5 combined. If we can draw 4 offensive charges by half ark is done.
Sampson is like the 4th best option of dealing with foul trouble at the wing:

Alleyne
Joey
Double big

Are all better options. No slight on the kid, he’s just an unknown commodity. He has not shown it on tape once this year. You don’t dabble in unknowns on the 2nd weekend.

Reaction Score
Good points…but do we need to play a really high level 2-3 zone? If they aren’t a good shooting team, doesn’t having DC in the block provide a lot of rim protection…and keep the guards out of foul trouble? And if the opponent is preparing for us to play man, do we we confuse them by playing even an avg zone

A few minutes of zone wouldn't kill us... but probably isn't going to happen either. Going to a zone for extended minutes is a recipe for disaster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is honestly one of the more fascinating things to watch in this game. Hurley's early time here I think he was all about his identity and system and probably didn't adjust to opponents as much. Some, like McDermott, took advantage. This season we've seen him do more to adapt his game plan to his opponent. The plan for the Iona press then the approach to St. Mary's reflect that.

So I think we will sag off some of the shooters a little and cheat to the paint. Seeing how the guys execute that will be interesting. We did it to beat St. Johns in the rematch.

Reaction Score
It’s why teams that play a totally unique style many times do better than their seeding in the tournament. Syracuse case in point.

Even when more talented, its difficult for a team to adjust to something they haven’t played against before.

Luckily we have St John’s to thank for prepping us for this game. We played against them the first time and got blown out. The second time we saw that style we were ready and reversed the result. Hopefully those game notes are still fresh in the players minds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know if I've ever seen 4 charges drawn by halftime ever

Reaction Score
In my opinion, if you think of it as substitution packages maybe the defensive scheme is easier to determine?

Come out in our base aggressive high hedge defense. When DC and JC come into the game it’s usually with NA, Ajax and either AK/HD. Play a zone with that group to protect JC and maximize rim protection. When starters come back in, switch back to man.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sampson is like the 4th best option of dealing with foul trouble at the wing:

Alleyne
Joey
Double big

Are all better options. No slight on the kid, he’s just an unknown commodity. He has not shown it on tape once this year. You don’t dabble in unknowns on the 2nd weekend.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It’s why teams that play a totally unique style many times do better than their seeding in the tournament. Syracuse case in point.

Even when more talented, its difficult for a team to adjust to something they haven’t played against before.

Luckily we have St John’s to thank for prepping us for this game. We played against them the first time and got blown out. The second time we saw that style we were ready and reversed the result. Hopefully those game notes are still fresh in the players minds.
We did, but only because we were elite offensively in the rematch. We still gave up 86 (a point more than we gave up in our home loss). Some of that letup is due to having the game in hand early. Certainly. But even allowing for that, St Johns style gave us defensive problems in both games.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don't know if I've ever seen 4 charges drawn by halftime ever

Oh Im sure Ive seen Coach K duke teams get 4-5 in a half off of the 30 flops they took.

Reaction Score
I was not prepared for how bad their three point shooting looked. They were given a lot of wide open shots against KS and more often than not they put up complete bricks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom