Story on Diana and Sue in NY Times | The Boneyard

Story on Diana and Sue in NY Times

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird, W.N.B.A. Stars, Keep Longtime Friendship

Features a three-way phone interview with both Dee and Sue on the line at the same time. Of course, Geno A. was quoted and gave insightful answers, as well.

Some schools talk about "life-long benefits" of choosing their institution. I'm not quite sure "life-long friendship" was among those benefits when these two met a UConn back just after the turn of the century, but that's what they've got. Clap of the hands and smile on the face for all concerned. :)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And here is a DT career review piece by the NCAA. Women's basketball: UConn great Diana Taurasi becomes WNBA's all-time leading scorer

Oops, just ocurrred to me I posted that article on Sue and D Dillon a day or two ago. Very good article worth the double exposure though. :)

Sorry I missed your initial post...been here and there the last few days! I got up early today and saw it in the print version of the NY Times today. However, I've noticed that the Times often post articles a day or three in advance of "publishing." Sorry for the double-dipping, but -- as you said -- I think this one qualifies as "no harm, no foul!" :D :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Those 2 on the court together inter-relate on a whole different level. Wish I could have seen there play together in Russia beyond a couple of championships. What a lucky bunch of fans we have been.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Slightly off track here. Yesterday at work, one of my colleagues was talking with a resident who had come into our office for assistance. I couldn't believe it - a dead ringer for DT. What really did it was her hair up in that game-day bun that Diana always wore.

The story would have been better had the woman been a DT fan but alas, she didn't even know who she is. :(

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Haven't checked whether it's a true or a factual error, but the linked story says that Diana scored 2,156 points in high school and 2,156 points in college.

Consistency as well as talent!
That sounds about right for UConn. She scored fewer than Charde in high school, but I bet she was close to 3,000.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sorry I missed your initial post...been here and there the last few days! I got up early today and saw it in the print version of the NY Times today. However, I've noticed that the Times often post articles a day or three in advance of "publishing." Sorry for the double-dipping, but -- as you said -- I think this one qualifies as "no harm, no foul!" :D :cool:

Dillon, sorry to hijack the thread, but Brianna Turner came to mind. She's one of my favorite non-UConn players. I know it's a dead period right now, the calm before the storm you might say. There is not much news coming out of the basketball offices right now.

I was wondering how her rehabilitation from her knee injury is coming? Since you're a Notre Dame fan, I was wondering if you have heard anything regarding her convalescence? The last thing I heard was that the medical & coaching staffs don't expect her back before the Christmas break, is that what you're hearing, or do you have a different take? Thanks. :cool:

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon, sorry to hijack the thread, but Brianna Turner came to mind. She's one of my favorite non-UConn players. I know it's a dead period right now, the calm before the storm you might say. There is not much news coming out of the basketball offices right now.

I was wondering how her rehabilitation from her knee injury is coming? Since you're a Notre Dame fan, I was wondering if you have heard anything regarding her convalescence? The last thing I heard was that the medical & coaching staffs don't expect her back before the Christmas break, is that what you're hearing, or do you have a different take? Thanks. :cool:

One of our McGraw's Bench regulars is a season-ticket holder and he posted this part of the letter from Coach McGraw about the various injuries on the Irish:

"Our two freshmen, Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, will give us some depth in the post that we didn't have last year; and with Bri's injury, we will need some help rebounding, defending and blocking shots. You will get to see them at our open practice this fall, and I know you are as anxious as I am to see how they look.

"This off season was spent dealing with injuries, and am happy to report that all three surgeries went well. Bri (Turner), Kathryn (Westbeld) and Mychal (Johnson) are all rehabbing, and Kat and Mychal should be ready to go by the time practice begins."

While the note didn't offer much prognostication and/or clarity on when Brianna would be available, the best we've possibly heard is sometimes during the season; with the worst being the full year. One thing is for certain -- MM and staff won't rush Bri back.

If she does not play in 2017-18 and comes back to the Irish in 2018-19, she'd be paired up with her National Team buddy Jessica Shepard, which would be a very formidable one-two punch in the paint.

Most importantly, best of luck to her in her rehabilitation...."Breezy Bri" has grown in so many ways at Notre Dame and wish her only the best.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Taurasi and Bird are two of the coolest people on the planet. Game knows game, as the kids say.

Reaction Score
Haven't checked whether it's a true or a factual error, but the linked story says that Diana scored 2,156 points in high school and 2,156 points in college.

Consistency as well as talent!
Wiki says DT scored 2156 in HS, and her UConn site bio says 2156 at UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of our McGraw's Bench regulars is a season-ticket holder and he posted this part of the letter from Coach McGraw about the various injuries on the Irish:

"Our two freshmen, Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, will give us some depth in the post that we didn't have last year; and with Bri's injury, we will need some help rebounding, defending and blocking shots. You will get to see them at our open practice this fall, and I know you are as anxious as I am to see how they look.

"This off season was spent dealing with injuries, and am happy to report that all three surgeries went well. Bri (Turner), Kathryn (Westbeld) and Mychal (Johnson) are all rehabbing, and Kat and Mychal should be ready to go by the time practice begins."

While the note didn't offer much prognostication and/or clarity on when Brianna would be available, the best we've possibly heard is sometimes during the season; with the worst being the full year. One thing is for certain -- MM and staff won't rush Bri back.

If she does not play in 2017-18 and comes back to the Irish in 2018-19, she'd be paired up with her National Team buddy Jessica Shepard, which would be a very formidable one-two punch in the paint.

Most importantly, best of luck to her in her rehabilitation...."Breezy Bri" has grown in so many ways at Notre Dame and wish her only the best.

Thanks Dillon. Please don't be afraid to share an update or two during the season. Turner has lots of fans outside of Texas and Indiana you know. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom