Storrs Connecticut, one of the top college towns in America? | The Boneyard

Storrs Connecticut, one of the top college towns in America?

Reaction Score
Well, according to this list, apparently so!

Storrs Connecticut comes in at number 32 on the strength of a strong social score. Meanwhile, our Canadian friends come in at 181.
I would put Boston number one. There is a college on every corner. If you're in your early 20s, you own the place. The city caters to the college crowd and it offers everything you expect in a major American city.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked that Lawrence and Manhattan KS aren't higher. Or Athens Georgie for that matter.

Reaction Score
I would put Boston number one. There is a college on every corner. If you're in your early 20s, you own the place. The city caters to the college crowd and it offers everything you expect in a major American city.
Ehhh Boston doesn't have much night-life or bar scene, stricter liquor laws (e.g., no bottomless brunch, crackdown on out of state IDs, strange happy hour restrictions), bad weather, and middling public transit. Despite the number of colleges, imo it isn't nearly as enjoyable to live there as a young person as many other cities. You kind of need a car, and I find it caters much more to families or late 20-somethings

Plus so many of your colleges aren't directly downtown - Harvard, MIT, BC, and Tufts students that I've known basically don't even know the city... especially Harvard

Reaction Score
Eh, I liked my time in Storrs but this is kind of a reach....I'm guessing there is more going on there than there was in the last 80s but yea.

Reaction Score
Storrs is nice campus in the middle of nowhere CT. It’s not a town. The metrics used by that group are seriously flawed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Storrs is nice campus in the middle of nowhere CT. It’s not a town. The metrics used by that group are seriously flawed.
I don’t know, in some ways it’s the epitome of a college town, because there isn’t a lot of town without the college being there. Storrs Central did a lot to improve the vibe down there, giving people more alternatives. The area was far less developed when I was there, and there was never any shortage of things to do socially.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I know you have your city people and country people or such n such. New York City #387? Burroughs need to be separated,
1669918779440.png

Reaction Score
If you scroll way down the page, they go through the methodology (though with no explanations, like what does "share of rental units" even mean? There are some doozies that I won't even get into.

And having lived in central NY on and off for parts of the last 30 years, and having spent plenty of time in Storrs, the idea that Storrs is way better than Syracuse is laughably stupid. There is a lot that's great about the Storrs campus, but being IN the city of Syracuse is AT LEAST as good in many ways.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Storrs is ahead of New Haven, CT? Vegas? Charlotte NC? Fort Lauderdale? Lol what a list.

Reaction Score
I think of Boston as a city that has a lot of colleges, rather than a traditional "college town."
But they list Austin #1. I think Boston is much more of a college town.

Ithaca, New York tops this list, where students make up 32 percent of the population, followed by State College, Pennsylvania (30 percent); Bloomington, Indiana (27.1 percent), Lawrence, Kansas (25.3 percent); Blacksburg, Virginia (24.8 percent); College Station, Texas (24.8 percent); Columbia, Missouri (23.8 percent); Champaign, Illinois (21.8 percent); Ann Arbor, Michigan (21.4 percent) and Gainesville, Florida (21.38 percent)—all classic college towns.

The cities with the most college students, NYC has over a million, boston has over 350,000. College students make up 7.34 percent of greater L.A.’s population, just a bit higher than Boston’s 7.32 percent. San Diego is next with 7.27 percent, followed by Sacramento (7.23 percent), and Austin (7.13 percent). Rochester, New York (6.98 percent), San Jose (6.95 percent), Buffalo (6.92 percent), Tucson (6.89 percent), and Oklahoma City (6.8 percent) round out the top 10.

Reaction Score
To be a college town don't you need to have a college in town? Scottsdale, Az does not have anything more than a community college.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Well, according to this list, apparently so!

Storrs Connecticut comes in at number 32 on the strength of a strong social score. Meanwhile, our Canadian friends come in at 181.

You're not going to give any credit to @SoFla Steve for posting this yesterday?

Reaction Score
If you can go ahead and set a lounge couch on fire in the middle of the quad, that's a nice college town. Or at least take a short hike to an off-campus kegger and a bon-fire. We had them regularly in our backyard. I don't know why Storrs is ranked 202 on the wallet factor but it does score high at 31 on social.

Reaction Score
Ehhh Boston doesn't have much night-life or bar scene, stricter liquor laws (e.g., no bottomless brunch, crackdown on out of state IDs, strange happy hour restrictions), bad weather, and middling public transit. Despite the number of colleges, imo it isn't nearly as enjoyable to live there as a young person as many other cities. You kind of need a car, and I find it caters much more to families or late 20-somethings

Plus so many of your colleges aren't directly downtown - Harvard, MIT, BC, and Tufts students that I've known basically don't even know the city... especially Harvard
Never had much fun there when I was younger. Closes too early, too many rules, just not much fun. It's also the only place I ever got any of my fake ID's swiped.

Reaction Score
This list is a joke. Athens should be 1. Orlando? Miami? Irvine? I could go on and on.
Ummm. I live in Irvine and right off of UCI campus. This is not a college town and #13 is a joke I agree. Supposedly there are 20k students somewhere, but we never see them accept at the local Albertson's on Sunday night to stock up.

Reaction Score
If you can go ahead and set a lounge couch on fire in the middle of the quad, that's a nice college town. Or at least take a short hike to an off-campus kegger and a bon-fire. We had them regularly in our backyard. I don't know why Storrs is ranked 202 on the wallet factor but it does score high at 31 on social.
I don't want to pull a glory days story but you bring up a great point:
When the couch was lit in the quad after the 99 final four regional game, local police helped get the flame going. That, to me, is a college town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom