Storm @ Sun - 6/29/17 | The Boneyard

Storm @ Sun - 6/29/17

Reaction Score
startconn.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both teams are shooting 64% in the middle of the 2nd period. En fuego!

For Triad--Rebecca made a comment that she thought Jasmine was more of a backup PG early in her career, but she has improved considerably, especially with her 3-point shot. Rebecca thinks she deserves All-Star consideration. I agree with Rebecca on all those points.

Jasmine is a career 31.4% 3-point shooter, including this season. This year, she is at a stellar 46.4% and looks to boost that with a 3-4 start. Like Shekinna Sticklen, she has become an elite 3-point shooter. Both are in the top 8 in the league.

This year's 3-point shooting stats look unusual, reflecting some players improving and/or shooting more. Heres' the top 10:

Whalen
Augustus
J. Jones
Gray
Wiese
J. Thomas
Brunson
Stricklen
Quigley
Moore

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Chiney is in studio at halftime. They just showed a brief clip of her interviewing Nneka recently, the Sparks had been in town to play the Sun. That was pretty cool. Showed a clip of last year's finals, Cheryl Reeve was screaming at the ref that Nneka was the #1 flopper in the league. Nneka overheard it and had this "excuse me?" look on her face. They showed the play that set Reeve off, it sure looked like she caught a legit elbow to the face from Big Syl.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nneka is a smart player. She does flop, but she sells it well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jasmine has really upped her game. USA Basketball should take a look at her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Holly just interviewed Gabby. The Gabulous one says no more short cuts or letting things slip through the cracks this season. She says Z is a really tough matchup and should be ready. Holly called Gabby the best player in the country.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Sun was running away with it, but the Storm came roaring back to get w/in 2. Sun now up 5 w/ about 3 min. to go.

A former Husky, but from UW not UConn, splashed a couple of 3's to aid in the rally. Sami Whitcomb, probably oldest rookie in WNBA history I'm guessing (28).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Apparently Seattle can't beat anyone other than the hapless Stars. Only 2 wins in quite some time came against SA.

Reaction Score
Nice win. Jasmine and Alyssa Thomas were both fantastic. But a lot of contributions from a lot of teammates too.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A young Suns team showing a more balanced attack and some decent defense. Gotta like what I see.

Jasmine with a huge game.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Live from the Indian Summer garage, stuck in traffic. What a great game for national TV! Jasmine deserved a great performance on that stage and that is what she got. That girl has a huge heart... fearless. Unfortunately JJ spent a bit of time on the bench due to fouls, but still double-doubled.

This is the kind of game that would have gotten away from us in past years, but now they stay steady, they trust each other, and they can fight off runs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Alyssa looks really good--except at the FT line. She's shooting 54% and had perhaps the worst looking FT shot I've ever seen. She leaned forward, fell, and shot an air ball. She does a great job of running the floor, slashing to the basket, dishing off for assists, and even using her right (off) hand. I'd like to see her work on her shot. Jasmine was a mediocre shooter, but has become a very good shooter. I'd like to see Alyssa do the same.

Reaction Score
So Gabby must think she's still a center if she's guarding Z in practice. :rolleyes:
Gabby is just getting ready for the season, upper her defense and challenging herself. It says something when Gabby says Azura is the toughest challenge for her (how good Gabby really is and just how good Azura is as well).

I don't know how you not start Azura. But how do you sit Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
Gabby is just getting ready for the season, upper her defense and challenging herself. It says something when Gabby says Azura is the toughest challenge for her (how good Gabby really is and just how good Azura is as well).

I don't know how you not start Azura. But how do you sit Dangerfield.
You can sit Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
Zero lead changes against Seattle. Two ties, but the Sun never let Seattle take the lead.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is their a faster, more athletic, and explosive starting backcourt right now than Thomas and Williams?

1a4.jpg
Maybe if MoJeff were playing with DRob, but she's not. Jas is faster than I thought. I never had any doubts about Courtney. They are exciting. I prefer Courtney to Bentley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom