Stonehill Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Stonehill Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Another cupcake to preview:

Stonehill:

14-17 last season
7-4 finish
10-6 in NEC play (tied for 2nd in regular season)

Last year’s stat highlights:
  • 40th in FT% (75.9%)
  • 76th in the nation in 3PA/FGA (41.3%)
  • 116th in opponents’ 2P% (49.0 2P%), tops in the NEC
  • 156th in offensive tempo (17.4 seconds/possession)
  • Tops in NEC in opponents’ average possession length (18.7 seconds/possession)
Key Injuries:
  • Shane O’Dell SR - Projected starter
    • 16.3p, 6.9r, 4.4a, 46.2 FG%, 37 3PA, 27.0 3P%, 70.2 FT% last season.
      • Transfer from Saint Rose (D2)
  • Christopher Melis JR - Regular rotation wing
  • Ethan Meuser SO - Top backup at the 4 & 5

First Game:
  • 89-44 loss to GW. Team shot a 21.4 FG%!!!

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP (stats from last year):

Point Guard - Tony Felder 5’10 165 sophomore

• 10.5p, 2.1r, 3.2a, 37.9 2P%, 1.8 3PM, 33.7 3P%, about 60% 3PAs from deep, 79.0 FT%
  • Transfer from VMI

Wing - Thatcher Stone 6’6 200 senior

• 5.6p, 2.8r, 48.6 2P%, 25.4 3P%, about 40% 3PAs from deep, 73.9 FT%

Forward - Louie Semona 6’8 205 freshman
  • 9 points, 1-5 from 3, 4 boards in debut vs GW

Forward - Max Zegarowski 6’8 205 fifth-year

• 12.6p, 4.2r, 1.2a, 50.4 2P%, 2.3 3PM, 41.7 3P%, 87.7 FT%, ~60% 3PAs from deep

Forward - Pano Pavlidis 6’8 205 fifth-year

• 8.0p, 5.8r, 1.3b, 64.9 2P%, 1.3 3PA, 24.2 3P%, 57.4 FT%
  • Transfer from Hartford

Entering their second season in Division 1 basketball after joining former Northeast-10 conference mates Merrimack and now Le Moyne in the Northeast Conference, the Chris Kraus led the Skyhawks to a 7-4 conference record and a second place regular season finish in the NEC.

This season, however, the Skyhawks will replace three starters, including leading scorer Andrew Sims and double-digit scorer and defensive stalwart Isaiah Burnett, last year’s starting point guard.

This season, Stonehill’s motion offense will be centered around fifth-year returnee Max Zegarowski, the younger brother of former Creighton star, Max. Last year, the 6’8 205 forward averaged 12.6 points and 2.3 three-pointers per game (41.7 3P%). Coach Kraus calls him “the best catch-and-shoot guy in the [Northeast Conference].”

In his second season with the team after transferring from William & Mary, Thatcher Stone is probably the returnee who is expecting to take the biggest jump in his development as he looks to transfer his preseason improvement in three-point shooting and his motion read-and-react instincts to game play.

The remainder of Stonehill’s starting lineup was expected to make up of three transfers, but an injury to Saint Rose transfer Shane O’Dell has left freshman Louie Semona to step up into a starting role. Stonehill was able to secure Semona over CCSU and USC-Upstate after convincing him that his game models Zegarowski: a heady shooter with size. Semona was Stonehill’s leading scorer in the season debut and also tied the team for the most field goal attempts.

Hartford grad transfer Pano Pavlidis is a perfect fit for Stonehill’s motion offense: Pavlidis shoots well enough to keep a positionless five-out motion intact, but rebounds and blocks like a classic center, despite his modest 6’8 205 frame.

Stonehill’s new point guard, sophomore Tony Felder, led VMI in three-points made, as well as assist and usage rate, but at 5’10 165, he lacks the muscle to convert inside the arc at a respectable rate (33.3 2P%). Despite his poor interior efficiency, Felder is aggressive off the dribble and can create his own offense.

With their slew of injuries, their reserve pieces will play more on Saturday. 6’7 220 freshman Todd Brogna is a physical glue guy who also likes to shoot it from three. 6’0 175 freshman Se’yphon Triplett played for Expressions Elite on the EYBL circuit and is known for his athleticism and high-level of intensity on defense. 6’1 180 senior Jackson Benigni has dealt with injury issues over the last two years, but was a part-time starter during Stonehill’s last season in D2.

All-in-all, this Stonehill team will not have the same level of talent of last year’s team, but their positionless, motion-style offense will be an interesting team to prepare for and play against. It’s rare to play a low-major with four starters 6’6 or taller, so that is also a unique opportunity for UConn.

Reaction Score
We ran with a "small" guards/wings lineup (i.e., without Donovan and Samson) for at least a few minutes last night and it seemed to work fine. I imagine we might see that a fair bit vs. Stonehill.

Castle on Felder will be an interesting matchup to see if/when it happens.

Reaction Score
We ran with a "small" guards/wings lineup (i.e., without Donovan and Samson) for at least a few minutes last night and it seemed to work fine. I imagine we might see that a fair bit vs. Stonehill.

Castle on Felder will be an interesting matchup to see if/when it happens.
The lineup with karaban at center? That was interesting

Reaction Score
With their departures and injuries, this team is bad. Their coach seems like a smart guy, but the available roster outside of Zegarowski (and maybe Felder) considering their youth is bleak. They didn't have a single double digit scorer in their 1st game.

Why does Thatcher Stone keep taking 3s? He can't shoot. Career 22% from 3. Apparently he makes them in practice. (But then again, that's against Stonehill's backups isn't it). Felder shot better from 3 than he did from 2 last season at VMI which was one of the worst teams in the country.

Their heaviest player in the starting lineup is 205. Donovan might get 100 rebounds.

GWU beat this team by 45, but I would imagine Stonehill should shoot a little better so we probably win by a similar amount (we'll score a lot better than GWU did).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This should be a game where the full roster gets meaningful minutes. Run some basic plays. Play hard. Work on conditioning.

I agree that this is a good game to play a smaller line up for a bit.

Reaction Score
I would love to see FanDuel post a line on the O/U for Andrew Hurley minutes. He could legitimately see double-digit minutes in this game.

Reaction Score
Fun fact: Stonehill played their first ever Division 1 game against the team that would go on to win the National Championship that year.
Since this is their second year in D1, does that mean the team they play in their second game in their second year in D1 will go on to win the National Championship?

I could live with that.............

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Another cupcake to preview:

Stonehill:

14-17 last season
7-4 finish
10-6 in NEC play (tied for 2nd in regular season)

Last year’s stat highlights:
  • 40th in FT% (75.9%)
  • 76th in the nation in 3PA/FGA (41.3%)
  • 116th in opponents’ 2P% (49.0 2P%), tops in the NEC
  • 156th in offensive tempo (17.4 seconds/possession)
  • Tops in NEC in opponents’ average possession length (18.7 seconds/possession)
Key Injuries:
  • Shane O’Dell SR - Projected starter
    • 16.3p, 6.9r, 4.4a, 46.2 FG%, 37 3PA, 27.0 3P%, 70.2 FT% last season.
      • Transfer from Saint Rose (D2)
  • Christopher Melis JR - Regular rotation wing
  • Ethan Meuser SO - Top backup at the 4 & 5

First Game:
  • 89-44 loss to GW. Team shot a 21.4 FG%!!!

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP (stats from last year):

Point Guard - Tony Felder 5’10 165 sophomore

• 10.5p, 2.1r, 3.2a, 37.9 2P%, 1.8 3PM, 33.7 3P%, about 60% 3PAs from deep, 79.0 FT%
  • Transfer from VMI

Wing - Thatcher Stone 6’6 200 senior

• 5.6p, 2.8r, 48.6 2P%, 25.4 3P%, about 40% 3PAs from deep, 73.9 FT%

Forward - Louie Semona 6’8 205 freshman
  • 9 points, 1-5 from 3, 4 boards in debut vs GW

Forward - Max Zegarowski 6’8 205 fifth-year

• 12.6p, 4.2r, 1.2a, 50.4 2P%, 2.3 3PM, 41.7 3P%, 87.7 FT%, ~60% 3PAs from deep

Forward - Pano Pavlidis 6’8 205 fifth-year

• 8.0p, 5.8r, 1.3b, 64.9 2P%, 1.3 3PA, 24.2 3P%, 57.4 FT%
  • Transfer from Hartford

Entering their second season in Division 1 basketball after joining former Northeast-10 conference mates Merrimack and now Le Moyne in the Northeast Conference, the Chris Kraus led the Skyhawks to a 7-4 conference record and a second place regular season finish in the NEC.

This season, however, the Skyhawks will replace three starters, including leading scorer Andrew Sims and double-digit scorer and defensive stalwart Isaiah Burnett, last year’s starting point guard.

This season, Stonehill’s motion offense will be centered around fifth-year returnee Max Zegarowski, the younger brother of former Creighton star, Max. Last year, the 6’8 205 forward averaged 12.6 points and 2.3 three-pointers per game (41.7 3P%). Coach Kraus calls him “the best catch-and-shoot guy in the [Northeast Conference].”

In his second season with the team after transferring from William & Mary, Thatcher Stone is probably the returnee who is expecting to take the biggest jump in his development as he looks to transfer his preseason improvement in three-point shooting and his motion read-and-react instincts to game play.

The remainder of Stonehill’s starting lineup was expected to make up of three transfers, but an injury to Saint Rose transfer Shane O’Dell has left freshman Louie Semona to step up into a starting role. Stonehill was able to secure Semona over CCSU and USC-Upstate after convincing him that his game models Zegarowski: a heady shooter with size. Semona was Stonehill’s leading scorer in the season debut and also tied the team for the most field goal attempts.

Hartford grad transfer Pano Pavlidis is a perfect fit for Stonehill’s motion offense: Pavlidis shoots well enough to keep a positionless five-out motion intact, but rebounds and blocks like a classic center, despite his modest 6’8 205 frame.

Stonehill’s new point guard, sophomore Tony Felder, led VMI in three-points made, as well as assist and usage rate, but at 5’10 165, he lacks the muscle to convert inside the arc at a respectable rate (33.3 2P%). Despite his poor interior efficiency, Felder is aggressive off the dribble and can create his own offense.

With their slew of injuries, their reserve pieces will play more on Saturday. 6’7 220 freshman Todd Brogna is a physical glue guy who also likes to shoot it from three. 6’0 175 freshman Se’yphon Triplett played for Expressions Elite on the EYBL circuit and is known for his athleticism and high-level of intensity on defense. 6’1 180 senior Jackson Benigni has dealt with injury issues over the last two years, but was a part-time starter during Stonehill’s last season in D2.

All-in-all, this Stonehill team will not have the same level of talent of last year’s team, but their positionless, motion-style offense will be an interesting team to prepare for and play against. It’s rare to play a low-major with four starters 6’6 or taller, so that is also a unique opportunity for UConn.
It's amazing that you know all of this. My analysis: team we will beat, by a lot.

Reaction Score
It's amazing that you know all of this. My analysis: team we will beat, by a lot.
That was quite the analysis on a team that we should handle easily. I'm looking forward to his extensive analysis when we begin to face the big boys.

Looking back at early season games in the past against mid to low level teams, the overall chemistry and level of play tended to be lacking early on. For a UConn team that has a lot of new faces, I thought they looked pretty good on both ends of the floor. The combination of some returning players, a well seasoned transfer in Spencer, and some talented freshmen, they seem to be coming together more quickly than I would have anticipated.

With that said, the real test will be when they begin to face high major competition. How often have we seen them blow the doors off of the low and mid majors and then lay an egg against their first legit competition? I don't think that will happen, but we'll find out in short order.

Reaction Score
That was quite the analysis on a team that we should handle easily. I'm looking forward to his extensive analysis when we begin to face the big boys.

Looking back at early season games in the past against mid to low level teams, the overall chemistry and level of play tended to be lacking early on. For a UConn team that has a lot of new faces, I thought they looked pretty good on both ends of the floor. The combination of some returning players, a well seasoned transfer in Spencer, and some talented freshmen, they seem to be coming together more quickly than I would have anticipated.

With that said, the real test will be when they begin to face high major competition. How often have we seen them blow the doors off of the low and mid majors and then lay an egg against their first legit competition? I don't think that will happen, but we'll find out in short order.
The foreign tour (and the extra official practices granted by the NCAA because of it beforehand) have these guys further along than you'd typically expect.

That and Hurley is in his groove I think. Program is humming. We had 5 new transfers last season, so the coaches know the drill for incorporating new guys.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Oh absolutely, @Hey Adrien! is an absolute marvel. Provides invaluable information.

As for low level teams, this wasn't that long ago. So I appreciate an over-enthusiastic curb stomping. I don't need extra stress. This team will lose some games, but I don't think we will see weird, inexplicable losses.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Like the Huskies, Hey Adrien needs to warm up with some cupcakes too...

Reaction Score
Here's the box score from Stonehill's win over Army.

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 8.38.53 AM.png

Good news for upping the talent level of Stonehill: Shane O'Dell (16.3p, 6.9r, 4.4a, 46.2 FG%, 37 3PA, 27.0 3P%, 70.2 FT% last season at Saint Rose (D2), is back, which means Thatcher Stone is now on the bench.

That's a BIG starting lineup for an NEC school.

Nice to see East Hampton's Jackson Benigni have a nice game off the bench, especially since he's been dealing w/ injuries in previous years.

Reaction Score
Since this is their second year in D1, does that mean the team they play in their second game in their second year in D1 will go on to win the National Championship?

I could live with that.............
I wouldn't bet much on Army winning the National Championship this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would love to see FanDuel post a line on the O/U for Andrew Hurley minutes. He could legitimately see double-digit minutes in this game.
And well deserved since he had the highest points on a points per 40 minute basis in our last game.

Reaction Score
Here's the box score from Stonehill's win over Army.

Good news for upping the talent level of Stonehill: Shane O'Dell (16.3p, 6.9r, 4.4a, 46.2 FG%, 37 3PA, 27.0 3P%, 70.2 FT% last season at Saint Rose (D2), is back, which means Thatcher Stone is now on the bench.

That's a BIG starting lineup for an NEC school.

Nice to see East Hampton's Jackson Benigni have a nice game off the bench, especially since he's been dealing w/ injuries in previous years.
Man their coach is throwing their rotations at the wall and seeing what sticks right now lol. Obviously O'Dell's return shook it up a bit, but just look at this. He's convinced an algorithm that 7 different players played SG in 2 games. Somehow also it thinks their center played point guard briefly. I wonder what that lineup was like.

mess.png

Their play by play recap doesn't have substitutions in it either, so it's impossible to tell anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom