Stonehill Recap - Positive/Negative Plays and Key Stats | The Boneyard

Stonehill Recap - Positive/Negative Plays and Key Stats

Reaction Score
Have watched the game 2.5x through now and I did some positive/negative play charting.

A non-exhaustive list of positive plays are nice takes, noteworthy passes (not necessarily just assists), offensive or contested rebounds, strong 1v1 defense, drawing fouls, steals, denials, blocks, especially strong screens. Negative plays are sloppy plays, bad passes, lazy efforts, poor communication, awareness, or positioning on D, bricking wide open shots (missing the right contested shot is neutral), actual detrimental fouls (not just what was called). Sometimes a positive and negative play will cancel out on same play (eg Sanogo passes out of double team to open cutting Newton, gets a pass back from Newton and airballs a floater). Even if net result of the play is positive/negative I'm looking at the cumulative individual processes not the result.

Name (Positive/Negative, Net)
Newton - 12/8 +4 - Better stretch in last 10 minutes of game. Couple nice passes, couple wide open bricks from 3. Quietly used 2nd most possessions on team behind Sanogo. Drew 12.9 fouls per 40.
Hawkins - 6/2 +4 - Shot was slightly off, but liked the aggression. Had a couple nice defensive moments in limited action.
Alleyne - 9/5 +4 - Strong defense, missed a few wide open shots. Good team passing and transition work. 6.9% steal rate in this game (although got credit for a couple steals off Diarra deflections).
Samson - 4/4 +0 - Bad fouls, needs to use his brain more and hands less on D. Not that involved in the game. Hands were shaky too. Couple orebs. Made all 3 of his FTs.
Sanogo - 18/2 +16, MVP - Wrote down 2 "All-American plays". The catch and bank finish on ATO play and face up lefty drive dunk. Monster rebounding and efficiency numbers.
Diarra - 16/8 +8 - I wrote down first to the floor 3x and dove a couple additional times. Couple nice crossovers and nice takes, couple missed layups and wide open shots. Absolutely a menace to ballhandlers. The most "involved" player of the game, alongside Clingan. Big impact. 48% assist rate is Trae Young esque and 5.9% steal rate.
Karaban - 18/5 +13 - Really strong performance in a debut. Passing was outstanding, especially in middle of zone. Defense was mostly very good, too, forced a couple bad passes with pressure. Hits a few more open looks and he might've been the MVP. Got on the glass a bit too. 17.6% assist rate to 10% turnover rate.
Clingan - 17/8 +9 - Warps the game when he's in there. Per minute production is going to be high. Passing was really good. We're going to hit a lot of 3s off his kickouts. Monster on the glass. Turnovers will be a small issue. The PnR D absolutely needs work as Hurley has mentioned, caught in no man's land a few times. But rim protection was elite. 30% block % for Clingan would be an NCAA record.
Calcaterra - 4/7 -3 - Not a great game for Calcaterra. He was left on an island a few times on defense on back cuts, which wasn't totally his fault. Also had to guard an athletic 6'6" wing a few times since Hawkins/Jackson were out which is not a great matchup for a slim 6'3" guy. A couple bad passes and catches. But made shots from 3. Expecting better games in the future.

You guys, I think this Sanogo guy is really good. We're a much, much better passing team than we've been in years and Jackson didn't even play. Sanogo has improved his passing a bit and Karaban/Clingan are elite passers for their positions and age. Woe to any teams that try to zone us. It's Stonehill, but rebounded well on both ends. Forced a ton of turnovers, Diarra is going to be our best perimeter defender since Vital. Mostly made our FTs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This goes along with what I saw on the game. Karaban and Netwon quietly affected the game a LOT more than some people are giving them credit for. Quiet, cerebral players are key to this team; we don't need another Bouknight when we have a KAJ candidate at center. We need guys who know where to be, when to be there, and how to feed the block.

Reaction Score
Have watched the game 2.5x through now and I did some positive/negative play charting.

A non-exhaustive list of positive plays are nice takes, noteworthy passes (not necessarily just assists), offensive or contested rebounds, strong 1v1 defense, drawing fouls, steals, denials, blocks, especially strong screens. Negative plays are sloppy plays, bad passes, lazy efforts, poor communication, awareness, or positioning on D, bricking wide open shots (missing the right contested shot is neutral), actual detrimental fouls (not just what was called). Sometimes a positive and negative play will cancel out on same play (eg Sanogo passes out of double team to open cutting Newton, gets a pass back from Newton and airballs a floater). Even if net result of the play is positive/negative I'm looking at the cumulative individual processes not the result.

Newton - 12/8 +4 - Better stretch in last 10 minutes of game. Couple nice passes, couple wide open bricks from 3. Quietly used 2nd most possessions on team behind Sanogo. Drew 12.9 fouls per 40.
Hawkins - 6/2 +4 - Shot was slightly off, but liked the aggression. Had a couple nice defensive moments in limited action.
Alleyne - 9/5 +4 - Strong defense, missed a few wide open shots. Good team passing and transition work. 6.9% steal rate in this game (although got credit for a couple steals off Diarra deflections).
Samson - 4/4 +0 - Bad fouls, needs to use his brain more and hands less on D. Not that involved in the game. Hands were shaky too. Couple orebs. Made all 3 of his FTs.
Sanogo - 18/2 +16, MVP - Wrote down 2 "All-American plays". The catch and bank finish on ATO play and face up lefty drive dunk. Monster rebounding and efficiency numbers.
Diarra - 16/8 +8 - I wrote down first to the floor 3x and dove a couple additional times. Couple nice crossovers and nice takes, couple missed layups and wide open shots. Absolutely a menace to ballhandlers. The most "involved" player of the game, alongside Clingan. Big impact. 48% assist rate is Trae Young esque and 5.9% steal rate.
Karaban - 18/5 +13 - Really strong performance in a debut. Passing was outstanding, especially in middle of zone. Defense was mostly very good, too, forced a couple bad passes with pressure. Hits a few more open looks and he might've been the MVP. Got on the glass a bit too. 17.6% assist rate to 10% turnover rate.
Clingan - 17/8 +9 - Warps the game when he's in there. Per minute production is going to be high. Passing was really good. We're going to hit a lot of 3s off his kickouts. Monster on the glass. Turnovers will be a small issue. The PnR D absolutely needs work as Hurley has mentioned, caught in no man's land a few times. But rim protection was elite. 30% block % for Clingan would be an NCAA record.
Calcaterra - 4/7 -3 - Not a great game for Calcaterra. He was left on an island a few times on defense on back cuts, which wasn't totally his fault. Also had to guard an athletic 6'6" wing a few times since Hawkins/Jackson were out which is not a great matchup for a slim 6'3" guy. A couple bad passes and catches. But made shots from 3. Expecting better games in the future.

You guys, I think this Sanogo guy is really good. We're a much, much better passing team than we've been in years and Jackson didn't even play. Sanogo has improved his passing a bit and Karaban/Clingan are elite passers for their positions and age. Woe to any teams that try to zone us. It's Stonehill, but rebounded well on both ends. Forced a ton of turnovers, Diarra is going to be our best perimeter defender since Vital. Mostly made our FTs.
Good stuff. Your Calcaterra take is spot on and I think people here were hard on him for last night. Twice within a short period of time Samson failed to provide the help defense and Joey was absolutely left on an island, as you point out. The second time, our kid back beach boy was visibly frustrated and looked angry. His minutes will certainly decrease, but he was our only efficient three point shooter last night.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
This is awesome. Big fan of this.

Reaction Score

WOW, thanks for the player insights. You're seeing a game most of us miss.

Reaction Score
Clingan is very quick to recognize the open man if he’s defended. On one hand I wanted him to just power up or go to the line but if we have someone to convert those 3’s it would help. Our 3 point shooting was 20%, now its only 1 game but I hope this is not a weakness.

pj

Reaction Score
Clingan is very quick to recognize the open man if he’s defended. On one hand I wanted him to just power up or go to the line but if we have someone to convert those 3’s it would help. Our 3 point shooting was 20%, now its only 1 game but I hope this is not a weakness.

He's our point center.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Unlike some years, our talent is really well spread out among the roster. Our 8th or 9th best player is so much more talented than what we usually see out of that spot. The talent we had on the floor the other night without 2 of our 3 best players for the majority of the even was fantastic.

Reaction Score

We have about 10+ seasons of cumulative 3-pt shooting data across the 4-5 guys who we expect will be taking the vast majority of our 3's. I'm not gonna go aggregate it all, but each dude has a very good sample size to show that 35-40% 3pt shooting would be expected across the board.

If 3pt shooting turns out to be a season-long weakness, I would be absolutely shocked. It would require significant deviation from historical data.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I could barely watch that game one time. There are probably some intramural teams at UConn that could challenge Stonehill.

Reaction Score
Stonehill hung with a good MAAC team (Quinnipiac, who beat Rhode Island opening night) last night, down three at the half and losing by 7. Doesn’t say much about their game against UConn, but good for them!

Reaction Score
Stonehill hung with a good MAAC team (Quinnipiac, who beat Rhode Island opening night) last night, down three at the half and losing by 7. Doesn’t say much about their game against UConn, but good for them!
I'll add to that:

Stonehill is up 66-64 vs Army w/ 6 to go.

Stonehill is not a "good" D1 team, but they're a D1 team. I would argue they are the third worst team on this year's schedule, above LIU and Delaware State.

Reaction Score
I thought Stonehill was going to be horrendous coming into the year, but they added Zegarowski and Bergan who are both dudes on top of Sims, Burnett, and Stone. They're high 200s low 300s bad, but not 350+ bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom