Stolen from WV Board - BCS Rankings of Targets | The Boneyard

Stolen from WV Board - BCS Rankings of Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Obviously brand and perception are more important than on-field reality, but nevertheless I found these rankings to be interesting.

I say, grab Navy, , ECU, UCF and Houston if it makes financial sense (no clue how it would work in regards to a new tv deal-and nobody in here does either)

Syracuse
2010- 71
2009- 76
2008- 91
2007- 95
2006- 106

Pitt
2010- 57
2009- 17
2008- 20
2007- 41
2006- 59

Possible replacements mentioned in the post "meeting" article last night-

Navy
2010- 32
2009- 46
2008- 47
2007- 38
2006- 36
2005- 40

Air Force
2010- 40
2009- 60
2008- 45
2007- 31
2006- 88
2005- 92

UCF
2010- 25
2009- 56
2008- 104
2007- 30
2006- 96
2005- 58

ECU-
2010- 65
2009- 32
2008- 32
2007- 70
2006- 64
2005- 86

Houston-
2010- 82
2009- 26
2008- 67
2007- 36
2006- 32
2005- 80

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At some point people will realize it does not matter how good your football team is right now. Hopefully that point is soon, because I can't take many more posts about it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
At some point people will realize it does not matter how good your football team is right now. Hopefully that point is soon, because I can't take many more posts about it.

Can you read?

I qualified my post with "Obviously brand and perception are more important than on-field reality, but nevertheless I found these rankings to be interesting"

It's just for discussion purposes, in addition to the fact about people saying that we will lose our BCS bid.

Reaction Score
They're talking about keeping a BCS bid. If you replace 2 departing teams w/ 2 higher rated teams, your BCS status doesn't become less secure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is nothing to discuss. If your league contains Navy and Air Force trying to dream yourself into a BCS bid is wasted energy.

Reaction Score
its actually not a bad plan - as much as this whole situation is like a fraternity rush, the BCS Q status is based on objective criteria

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
its actually not a bad plan - as much as this whole situation is like a fraternity rush, the BCS Q status is based on objective criteria

Oh right... that will never change. When you have Navy, Air Force, Rutgers and UConn, you don't get any say in how they make the rules.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Oh right... that will never change. When you have Navy, Air Force, Rutgers and UConn, you don't get any say in how they make the rules.

The BCS bid is based on objective criteria, what don't you understand?

Maybe things would change if we were left with just Navy, Air Force, Rutgers and ourselves, but as long as we have West Virginia and TCU there is no way they can take our bid away. If things change, and it becomes a playoff then I agree, we would probably be left out. I just don't see them re-upping the BCS in a few years, then deciding to completely change the criteria for qualifying. If they even decided to go that route, it would be the ACC-not us that would have worse numbers than the Big East if it's going to be based on that. They won't be able to just kick out the Big East.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The BCS bid is based on objective criteria, what don't you understand?

Maybe things would change if we were left with just Navy, Air Force, Rutgers and ourselves, but as long as we have West Virginia and TCU there is no way they can take our bid away. If things change, and it becomes a playoff then I agree, we would probably be left out. I just don't see them re-upping the BCS in a few years, then deciding to completely change the criteria for qualifying. If they even decided to go that route, it would be the ACC-not us that would have worse numbers than the Big East if it's going to be based on that. They won't be able to just kick out the Big East.

I understand what the criteria is today. I also understand that whatever combination of teams you are calculating today won't be there tomorrow (TCU - HA!). I also understand that the teams that control the BCS will change the criteria.

If you think that the shell of the Big East is going to be allowed to keep a BCS bid.... then I don't know what to tell you.

The current Big East has been under fire for years. Adding Navy and Air Force is like crossing the river Styx - you don't get to come back.

Reaction Score
You may be correct. But there is no point in the Big East sitting around
I understand what the criteria is today. I also understand that whatever combination of teams you are calculating today won't be there tomorrow (TCU - HA!). I also understand that the teams that control the BCS will change the criteria.

If you think that the shell of the Big East is going to be allowed to keep a BCS bid.... then I don't know what to tell you.

The current Big East has been under fire for years. Adding Navy and Air Force is like crossing the river Styx - you don't get to come back.

You may be right. But there is no point in the Big East sitting around and crying over spilled milk. If you keep UCOnn you're keeping ND as well, you have the second best basketball confernece and you put together the best football conference you can. And what happens after you do your best happens.

I'm not a big "woo is me" guy, but that's just me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You may be correct. But there is no point in the Big East sitting around

You may be right. But there is no point in the Big East sitting around and crying over spilled milk. If you keep UCOnn you're keeping ND as well, you have the second best basketball confernece and you put together the best football conference you can. And what happens after you do your best happens.

I'm not a big "woo is me" guy, but that's just me.

I'm with you, you put together the best conference you can.. but if you think you can put together charts that are going to convince the people that make the rules that you are worthy of anything because Navy finished 32nd in the BCS standings 2 years ago... that's just a waste of time.

I do disagree with you that somehow keeping Notre Dame in the basketball league does UConn's basketball program any good in the long run. Not being in the BCS gives UConn's basketball program a terminal illness: Being attached to Notre Dame and the Catholics is just a formality - like having a year to live versus six months.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm with you, you put together the best conference you can.. but if you think you can put together charts that are going to convince the people that make the rules that you are worthy of anything because Navy finished 32nd in the BCS standings 2 years ago... that's just a waste of time.

I do disagree with you that somehow keeping Notre Dame in the basketball league does UConn's basketball program any good in the long run. Not being in the BCS gives UConn's basketball program a terminal illness: Being attached to Notre Dame and the Catholics is just a formality - like having a year to live versus six months.

Whaler, I just want to clarify what your opinion is regarding the renewal in a few years of the BCS Contract:

1) When the renewal comes up, do you believe that the rules for qualifying for the BCS will change, i.e. better qualifying numbers (BCS numbers and their corresponding conference rankings)?

Or

2) Do you believe that when the renewal comes up, the power conferences will push for some sort of resolution that only allows Pac12, Big12, Big10 or ACC schools to be a part of the BCS rankings?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, I just want to clarify what your opinion is regarding the renewal in a few years of the BCS Contract:

1) When the renewal comes up, do you believe that the rules for qualifying for the BCS will change, i.e. better qualifying numbers (BCS numbers and their corresponding conference rankings)?

Or

2) Do you believe that when the renewal comes up, the power conferences will push for some sort of resolution that only allows Pac12, Big12, Big10 or ACC schools to be a part of the BCS rankings?

1. Yes, if it lasts until the contract ends the rules to qualify will be more stringent.

2. Yes, there is no way the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC, SEC will allow whatever bastardized Big East you can dream up be a part of their party.

Either. Or. Both.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1. Yes, if it lasts until the contract ends the rules to qualify will be more stringent.

2. Yes, there is no way the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC, SEC will allow whatever bastardized Big East you can dream up be a part of their party.

Either. Or. Both.

1. Do you agree that the Big East's score as a conference actually stands a fair shot of being better than the ACC?

2. If that's your argument, which is opinion, I have no rebuttal. That very well could happen, though I'd imagine that it would be tricky to pull that off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1. Do you agree that the Big East's score as a conference actually stands a fair shot of being better than the ACC?

2. If that's your argument, which is opinion, I have no rebuttal. That very well could happen, though I'd imagine that it would be tricky to pull that off.

1. There is no way that you are keeping TCU in the Big East, so no I don't see anyway that the Big East stands a fair shot of being better than the ACC's score.

Nothing about the BCS or college football is fair. The results on the field barely matter. Power matters. The Big East had none prior to last weekend, nevermind now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1. There is no way that you are keeping TCU in the Big East, so no I don't see anyway that the Big East stands a fair shot of being better than the ACC's score.

Nothing about the BCS or college football is fair. The results on the field barely matter. Power matters. The Big East had none prior to last weekend, nevermind now.

Why would TCU leave a league that:
1) Currently has a BCS bid for a league that doesn't have one.
2) Current league's bid is further cemented by your joining.

Keep in mind all reports (yes everything is a rumor or unnamed source) have said Texas doesn't want another Texas school in the BigXII

Even without TCU, I'd love to see how we would stack up against the ACC in a BCS computer ranking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember (outside of last year) the Big East's numbers greatly outperforming the consensus (biased) view on the conferences on field play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Texas might not 'want' another Texas team in the Big XII - but how in the world when they come to their senses do they not realize that TCU is a much better option then say Cincinnati? They are egotistical bastards, they can't possibly be that stupid.

The Big East maybe able to put together a combination that shows a computer average above board. There is no possible way to sustain it. People will be creaming themselves over two star recruits next year - there is no way in the world to recruit players in that dogcrap league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom