Stokes Impressive | The Boneyard

Stokes Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kiah certainly had her most impressive game of the season. Aggressive on defense whether blocking shots, rebounding, or playing defense, she helped UConn increase their lead. I even enjoyed the hi / lo pass from Stef to Kiah for a layup. She showed patience and cut to the basket at exactly the right time.
Now if she can get her offensive intensity to match her defensive intensity, that could help UConn win an eighth national championship.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree on tonights game, and especially on the offense issue. Not sure why she isn't more aggressive on that end - she has a nice 10' jumper and seems to have good hands around the basket, but she just never seems really comfortable.

Reaction Score
Just got home from the game. Gotta agree with you....she looked great. It took Geno awhile to get her into the game but she made the most of the minutes she got.

Reaction Score
Seemed to me that Geno really used this game to get the kids some real world playing time. Nothing beats that when it comes to prepping for the NCAAs in March.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Stokes is certainly a big plus for the team when she is healthy -

Hopefully everyone (Hartley, Stewart, Stokes, and Tuck) will be fully recovered and ready come March. And hopefully CD's knees will hold up for the duration.

Just finished rereading "The Same River Twice" again. (every time I read it, ND still wins the NC ! - Crap !)

For those who haven't read it, it gives a great insight into the impact of injuries on a forecasted dream season.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that Kia played a great game on defense. But it was frustrating to see how seldom she moved to open spaces near the basket on offense -- especially when Stef was not in the game. It should have been as easy for Kia to score from inside as it was for Stef. Kia just didn't make herself a low post target on many Uconn possessions.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree that Kia played a great game on defense. But it was frustrating to see how seldom she moved to open spaces near the basket on offense -- especially when Stef was not in the game. It should have been as easy for Kia to score from inside as it was for Stef. Kia just didn't make herself a low post target on many Uconn possessions.
I wrote maybe a month ago that I felt both Kiah and Morgan didn't seem fully integrated into the offense. I feel that certainly some of that is on the players themselves in terms of confidence and aggressiveness, and the stop start nature of their health certainly hasn't helped. But I also think some of it is on the coaches - just not sure they have clearly defined what they want from these two on offense. And the rest of the team seems as confused with where to get them involved in the offense. Just a general lack of chemistry?
To some degree I think this gets to the issue of a 'ten player rotation'. There are only so many minutes in practice and in games to develop all the possible combinations so a few players (and especially the less experienced ones) get left a little out in the cold. With the Olympic team, you are dealing with much older players with much more experience playing with multiple teammates in multiple systems, and with much better developed games. It is easier to mix and match. With college freshman and sophs it takes a lot more work.
This is not meant to be down on either the players or the coaches - just observation and possible explanation. Both Kiah and Morgan have great talent and are certainly contributing to the team - the defense seems to come easier and the offense will get there.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Kiah did look very good in this game....looks like her injury is healed. Very good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom