OT: Stock trading | Page 164 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone know of an app or website that allows the user to list stocks owned and show trends, stats, pre-market, etc?

Reaction Score
What's the purpose of a reverse split?
Reduce the number of shares for a company now its size. They had 8+ BB shares now 1B. They have been selling off businesses for years like GE Capital. Now have shares more in line with other companies their size. Smaller, more focused tech company...

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Reduce the number of shares for a company now its size. They had 8+ BB shares now 1B. They have been selling off businesses for years like GE Capital. Now have shares more in line with other companies their size. Smaller, more focused tech company...

i hate when companies waste money on share buybacks.

return it to shareholders as dividends

Reaction Score
i hate when companies waste money on share buybacks.

return it to shareholders as dividends
A lot of the time it is just to manage dilution from employee stock comp and other business-related share issuances (i.e. convertible debt). I feel like the headlines get the attention and it has been completely vilified recently.

the Q

Reaction Score
A lot of the time it is just to manage dilution from employee stock comp and other business-related share issuances (i.e. convertible debt). I feel like the headlines get the attention and it has been completely vilified recently.

Because it adds zero actual value to the business or the shareholders.

A dividend helps one.

Reinvesting into new products or development or infrastructure can help both.

Reaction Score
A lot of companies are levetaging by buying back shares, unfortunately tbe Fed is subsidizing this leveraging and the increase in stock prices due to corporate buy backs is totally srtificial. The Fed can't do this indifinitely. There's going to be a lot of pain when the bubbles burst

Reaction Score
Because it adds zero actual value to the business or the shareholders.

A dividend helps one.

Reinvesting into new products or development or infrastructure can help both.
I disagree that counteracting dilution doesn't have any value to shareholders. I'd also add that even the more aggressive buybacks that are realistically designed to artificially increase stock price technically do provide a value to existing shareholders (that's why boards approve them), but I agree you can generally provide more value through other means (but often in a longer timeframe).

the Q

Reaction Score
I disagree that counteracting dilution doesn't have any value to shareholders. I'd also add that even the more aggressive buybacks that are realistically designed to artificially increase stock price technically do provide a value to existing shareholders (that's why boards approve them), but I agree you can generally provide more value through other means (but often in a longer timeframe).

It’s a fake prop up. Not real value imo

Reaction Score
It’s a fake prop up. Not real value imo
Again, counteracting dilution is not. And at the end of the day, you can call it fake if you want, but it increases the stock price, and if I'm a stockholder, I now have more value, so your point is totally semantics (and again, I'm not a fan of big stock buybacks since they're generally short-sighted).

Reaction Score
Even if you buy this, it has to be true that 90%+ of the time its better to declare a dividend and give direct cash to shareholders. AND if they think the shares are undervalued they can reinvest their dividends. It'd be interesting to see if companies that engage in buybacks have ever done any kind of analysis or if there is 3rd party data on what % of shareholders would have bought back if instead a dividend were declared.

Of course those buybacks don't flow into company balance sheet so its not a value comparison, its more are you serving you shareholders better by letting them decide.

the Q

Reaction Score
Again, counteracting dilution is not. And at the end of the day, you can call it fake if you want, but it increases the stock price, and if I'm a stockholder, I now have more value, so your point is totally semantics (and again, I'm not a fan of big stock buybacks since they're generally short-sighted).

I’m saying it’s not a sustainable value add. Traders probably love that crap

Reaction Score
Translate Bio - TBIO - looks like a buyout offer from French partner Sanofi is in the works, and after some disappointments lately like SAVA, glad I own this one.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I know what stop loss is, but what does the reference in yahoo stats mean? Avg or median value for stop loss set up at the moment?

9927D565-5A22-4DF3-BAA3-C08EB8BDFB2F.jpeg

Reaction Score
Watching BTV. Guest suggesting China is at a bottom. Anyone moving money there? I’m not going to touch it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Watching BTV. Guest suggesting China is at a bottom. Anyone moving money there? I’m not going to touch it.

About 20% of my money is in Chinese stocks. I'm not sure if I want this to be the bottom you refer to or not.

Reaction Score
Watching BTV. Guest suggesting China is at a bottom.
Inspired by some Bloomberg's guest's non-specific comment regarding mainland companies:
What is a broad generalization for $1,000?

Currently, not considering any new or adding to NY or London listed mainland shares nor any shares of such companies HQ'd in the Caymans, Malta, etc. On top of mainland Central Govt intervention, CCParty boys' required company-board representation, etc, US regulatory and legislative actions further compound risks.

Exception (perceived): As Tencent fell to last week's and today's 52 week lows, we added more 0700.HK shares via our HK account (NOT the ADR, TCEHY in the US). Even with today's mainland intervention intended to reel in mainland school kids' overzealous gaming (not an unreasonable goal), Tencent spearheads start-up financing, innovations, etc. Similar to Alibaba, Baidu, etc, Tencent's not going away. Zero interest in adding any via NYSE, Nasdaq, or OTC in the US now.

Reaction Score
Like I said, Chainlink is everywhere and will be continue to be everywhere lurking behind the scenes. On pace to have over 1,000 integrations by the end of the year. SWIFT integration on schedule to launch in Nov 2022.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Like I said, Chainlink is everywhere and will be continue to be everywhere lurking behind the scenes. On pace to have over 1,000 integrations by the end of the year. SWIFT integration on schedule to launch in Nov 2022.

It's coming back a bit from lows. Most crypto is.

Reaction Score
It's coming back a bit from lows. Most crypto is.
Yes indeed. Remember most relevant crypto outside of bitcoin use chainlink for one or multiple reasons: Oracle for hybrid smart contracts (ethereum, polkadot, zilliqa, solana) Orcacles for dynamic nfts, verifiable random function for gaming, aggregated price feeds, and proof of reserve (rumor: fidelity), so not only does chainlink provides value for strictly blockchain companies, it also provides value for regular companies looking to facilitate transactions onto the blockchain. Over time, this separation will become more apparent in the market, especially with implicit staking on the way.

They dominate the oracle space and its not even close, I mean just take a look at all the companies speaking at Chainlink's SmartCon#1 conference starting tomorrow

Reaction Score
Chainlink - Official Channel (@chainlink) Tweeted:
Switzerland's leading telecommunication & IT infrastructure provider @Swisscom is now running its own official #Chainlink node on mainnet and servicing Chainlink Price Feeds, further increasing the robustness & decentralization of Chainlink oracle services.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom