OT: Stock trading | Page 162 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
As we have dealt with the death of my mother in law and my father in law's dementia, I will say this: there are benefits to having almost everything all in one place. I just keep everything at Fidelity now. They haven't charged me a penny to trade in many years.
Your child(ren) will appreciate you and your spouse's consolidated holdings, especially when reasonably held in trust name.

Zero trade fees aside, Fido, SCHW, Vanguard, IBKR, etc generate massive net income from client's trades, holdings, uninvested cash, fund op fees, asset mgmt, robo mgmt, securities lending, margin loans, retirement plan administration, etc. Cash cows. SCHW's stock performance has been sweet as honey the last year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your child(ren) will appreciate you and your spouse's consolidated holdings, especially when reasonably held in trust name.

Zero trade fees aside, Fido, SCHW, Vanguard, IBKR, etc generate massive net income from client's trades, holdings, uninvested cash, fund op fees, asset mgmt, robo mgmt, securities lending, margin loans, retirement plan administration, etc. Cash cows. SCHW's stock performance has been sweet as honey the last year.

Along those lines, has anybody set up a brokerage account for their kids? Fidelity has a new child account for 12-17. My daughter is 18, so I tried to go through applying for a normal one yesterday with her, and it seems we need a paper application. I assume her complete lack of any credit score is the reason.

She has some money from work and HS grad gifts and other gifts over the years. I want to park it in a F500 ETF rather than a useless savings account. I will have her set up a Roth too, and possibly fund it myself to the limit of her wages. I sure wish I had invested money I had when I was much younger. 40+ years of growth, especially tax free in a Roth, is a benefit that shouldn't be passed up.

Reaction Score
SAVA is really popping - up about 29% today alone. The buzz is their Alzheimer's drug may be FDA approved at some point.

Reaction Score
Along those lines, has anybody set up a brokerage account for their kids? Fidelity has a new child account for 12-17. My daughter is 18, so I tried to go through applying for a normal one yesterday with her, and it seems we need a paper application. I assume her complete lack of any credit score is the reason.

She has some money from work and HS grad gifts and other gifts over the years. I want to park it in a F500 ETF rather than a useless savings account. I will have her set up a Roth too, and possibly fund it myself to the limit of her wages. I sure wish I had invested money I had when I was much younger. 40+ years of growth, especially tax free in a Roth, is a benefit that shouldn't be passed up.
I set up one for my 16yr old son entirely online but its a custodial account so my info too. As a 16yr old male he would impulsively cash out the second he wants something, heck I did that at 25 turning 5K inheritance from my grandfather that had become 10K+ into a car (great, fun Honda Prelude but still).

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Vanguard charges $50/transaction for Stop, Limit Orders, etc. Are there cheaper options?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Vanguard charges $50/transaction for Stop, Limit Orders, etc. Are there cheaper options?

I pay $0 at Fidelity. But it may depend on your account status.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Wtf?

I use vanguard for my Roth and I don’t pay that

Reaction Score

I was just thinking about doing this for my 2 yo, and not sure how to go about it. Gran wants to buy him a GOOGL.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I was just thinking about doing this for my 2 yo, and not sure how to go about it. Gran wants to buy him a GOOGL.
Following for my 8 and 4 year-old. I could be wrong but UGMA/UTMA accounts seem like the way until they start to earn income, unless anyone else has suggestions? I guess I could ask TD Ameritrade but that’s no fun…

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Following for my 8 and 4 year-old. I could be wrong but UGMA/UTMA accounts seem like the way until they start to earn income, unless anyone else has suggestions? I guess I could ask TD Ameritrade but that’s no fun…

Fidelity has a new kids account. But it starts at 13. Fidelity Youth Account | A teen saving, investing, and spending account

temery

What?
Reaction Score
?

I use vanguard for my Roth and I don’t pay that

Must be only for foreign transactions.

8B845482-43C2-426F-993C-B574B8020445.jpeg

Reaction Score
Must be only for foreign transactions.

View attachment 68702
Vanguard's message references foreign securities processing fee (not so unusual), yet some brokerage firms charge similar fees with lightly-traded OTCs and penny stocks, e.g., Colorado-domiciled NIOBF. Good luck.

When considering adding Aussie lithium miner Vulcan Energy last Sept, SCHW would have charged a similar fee for the ADR (VULNF). Instead, IBKR HK imposed no fee to directly buy the Aussie shares (VUL.AX).

Reaction Score
Anyone have thoughts on Bili. I bought a couple years ago, and it's done well. In the past three days it's dropped 20%+, with volume 3x avg (I'm told that's important).
@temery Mainlanders, HKers, Taiwanese, and other Asians will continue video gaming barring power outages even during bad typhoons let alone on regular days. Even with BILI's recent declines, you're likely up 450-500%. Not too shabby, congrats.

In Mar and June, I sold most of our BILI shares. As many western asset managers, including ARK and highest risk takers, sell off many mainland company shares, especially those traded on western exchanges (Nasdaq, NYSE, LSE, etc.), we have no intent to buy BILI's dip.

If somehow willing to support increasing CCParty Boys' actions to further control large mainland companies and leaders they typically influence (e.g., closest supporters holding board seats or relatives holding many shares), the Central Govt currently supports growth of mainland-focused semis, 5G, hardware, green tech, and biotech/health care (read: steer investments towards). Possibilities for LT western investors: ETFs such as KFVG, KGRN, and KURE). Heads up, the CCParty Boys may later shift their regulatory eyes and claws to companies held by such ETFs.

Alternatively, perhaps it's best to consider NON-mainland companies which may benefit from possible mainland LT growth sans CCParty Boys' regulatory BS. Or, maybe I'm all wrong!

Reaction Score
SAVA....I wonder if it will pop on Thursday - data being released for their Alzheimer's drug in test.

Reaction Score
@temery Mainlanders, HKers, Taiwanese, and other Asians will continue video gaming barring power outages even during bad typhoons let alone on regular days. Even with BILI's recent declines, you're likely up 450-500%. Not too shabby, congrats.

In Mar and June, I sold most of our BILI shares. As many western asset managers, including ARK and highest risk takers, sell off many mainland company shares, especially those traded on western exchanges (Nasdaq, NYSE, LSE, etc.), we have no intent to buy BILI's dip.

If somehow willing to support increasing CCParty Boys' actions to further control large mainland companies and leaders they typically influence (e.g., closest supporters holding board seats or relatives holding many shares), the Central Govt currently supports growth of mainland-focused semis, 5G, hardware, green tech, and biotech/health care (read: steer investments towards). Possibilities for LT western investors: ETFs such as KFVG, KGRN, and KURE). Heads up, the CCParty Boys may later shift their regulatory eyes and claws to companies held by such ETFs.

Alternatively, perhaps it's best to consider NON-mainland companies which may benefit from possible mainland LT growth sans CCParty Boys' regulatory BS. Or, maybe I'm all wrong!
@temery

TLDR: Beijing calls for calm after historic tech stock rout

Reaction Score
Exactly, recent regulatory intervention prompted many western institutional investors to sell chunks of mainland big techs and spread across sectors. Oops, top dogs declare “All is well”. Hah, didn’t stop adding Tencent shares but directly in HK (down 30% from recent highs); avoided the ADR!

As LT mainland growth is unlikely to go away, it can easily be accessed via non-mainland companies with fewer risks of US vs mainland trade conflict, US Public Company Accounting Oversight scrutiny, etc.

Observe RE developer/ management company China Evergrande. Worst of the overly indebted big RE companies. For the CCParty Boys, EGNRY may serve a convenient reminder for larger developers to toe the line. Big, but potentially “not too big to fail”?

On the RE front, widely reported regulatory claws today focused on some cities’ overjuiced RE markets. Intervention, just way more direct than in most western countries.

Not all right, nor all wrong. Just different.

Reaction Score
Very short term trade. Shorting Teladoc (TDOC at 151.5). Think we'll see 145 in the next day.

Reaction Score
Very short term trade. Shorting Teladoc (TDOC at 151.5). Think we'll see 145 in the next day.
May well revert back to 145 or less ST. Added for LT <138 AH on perceived overreaction. Ideal SARS-2 positives decreasing eventually and TDOC competitors aside, don’t see telehealth tech calls, diagnostics, and insurance cost containment going away LT given rapidly aging populations (US and beyond).

Reaction Score
May well revert back to 145 or less ST. Added for LT <138 AH on perceived overreaction. Ideal SARS-2 positives decreasing eventually and TDOC competitors aside, don’t see telehealth tech calls, diagnostics, and insurance cost containment going away LT given rapidly aging populations (US and beyond).
I was long this morning in low 130s. There is definitely a floor under it. If you didn't like this at 150 in the last week or so, not too sure why you like it even more now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom