OT: Stock trading | Page 161 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was told by my boss that it would be cheaper to pay for me to have a co working space membership than the electricity from my location at work alone.

When you can shut a whole building it really makes a difference. Our offices are already almost all in the suburbs, and we are still shutting buildings. Electric, internet, maintenance, cleaning, landscaping, snow plowing, trash removal, security, amenities like gyms, coffee stops or cafeterias. That's before considering cost savings to the employee and external costs like the carbon footprint (which most companies want to claim they reduce). The economics of commuting are beyond awful. I realize that some people are wedded to it and refuse to admit that it is on its way to the dustbin of history.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If WFH is going up, so are divorce rates. People will lose their minds being around the significant other and/or kids all day. I'll take not working from home all day. Any marital separation-based stock plays?

Reaction Score
Match.com? Lol
Wouldn't know, yet media rumors suggest females prefer BMBL.

Side topic someone referenced above, potential businesses to benefit via WFH > home solar, generators (GNRC), dependable/fast internet, suburban shared office space, etc. WFA opportunities?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Match.com? Lol

Remember the ad with Courtney saying, "come find me." I found her home address and sent her a letter. I think she's waiting to reply so everything she writes is memorable.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Remember the ad with Courtney saying, "come find me." I found her home address and sent her a letter. I think she's waiting to reply so everything she writes is memorable.

I am sure that poor Courtney struggles to attract male attention. Thankfully Match is there to connect her with stalkers guys like you.

Reaction Score
When you can shut a whole building it really makes a difference. Our offices are already almost all in the suburbs, and we are still shutting buildings. Electric, internet, maintenance, cleaning, landscaping, snow plowing, trash removal, security, amenities like gyms, coffee stops or cafeterias. That's before considering cost savings to the employee and external costs like the carbon footprint (which most companies want to claim they reduce). The economics of commuting are beyond awful. I realize that some people are wedded to it and refuse to admit that it is on its way to the dustbin of history.
It is not people wedded to a commute, its companies that benefit from many things including accountability, the increased collaboration, more rapid exchange of information and ideas gained from having people in same place. Office demand (as evidenced by searches on CoStar & Loopnet) has recently returned to pre-pandemic levels. No doubt, companies will downsize and allow WAYYYYYYY more work from home. But there will still also be a significant number of companies that will require employees to come to the office and industries/jobs where doing so adds value for both the employee and the employer. People didn't only commute to Manhattan b/c their employers made them or they loved the train, they did so b/c Manhattan is one of the greatest cities in the world offering innumerous things you cannot get in the 'burbs.

Commuting and office work in major southeastern cities like Dallas has almost fully returned. Office demand in the suburbs is actually pretty strong across the country right now & likely more better micro live-work-play suburbs prosper (i.e. in Boston 128 belt will be very popular for both companies and residences).

I would wager any silly thing anyone wants to wager that there will be some massive traffic jams in Boston, DC, NYC, San Fran etc & nightmarish commuting and parking stories when workers return en masse after Labor Day.

Reaction Score
Think of the Miami building collapse...the 35w Minneapolis bridge...Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill....the list goes on. All potentially avoidable if DPLS has the capabilities they are saying they do. The public will demand real time feedback on these structures, and a reasonable person could expect this tech added to building codes of our future smart cities. Cha-Ching.
DPLS Cha-Ching thanks to @Gutter King > up ~375%.

DPLS > Trans-Alaska Pipeline?

Reaction Score
Paysafe is a steal at these levels,

Attachments

• F8A26426-A679-4400-A741-36983F99802B.png
    F8A26426-A679-4400-A741-36983F99802B.png
    610.2 KB · Views: 97

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I have Fidelity and I have no had a issues with them. The customer support is great and they have great mutual funds, but their web version and app are not good IMO, which is big for me. Would you guys recommend TD Ameritrade over them?

Reaction Score
BABA & BILI. They were both up 5% Tuesday when just about everything else in my watchlist was down. Both were getting hit harder than everything else the days proceeding, because of the scare with the DIDI situation, then Tuesday the global trade news came out. Also, I'm sure you've been watching the shipping bottleneck in the south that is freeing up.

Amazon & MELI have been thriving the last couple weeks, BABA was struggling the same time.

Ah, so the ole 2 companies symbolically representing all of a specific "market". Just bustin' 'em, and only my individual pet peeve when others (not you) reference "the market" did X, or the "the markets" are down/up/traded sideways when ALL did not do X or only some parts of ALL equities traded down, or were up, or traded sideways.

All joking aside, clearly non-mainlanders, particularly Yanks, may consider treading lightly with some mainland-listed companies, some mainland-specific companies trading in NY, London, or as ADRs in HK, etc. Non-specific, not ALL mainland companies yet some ETFs or some non-mainland companies (US, European, JP, KR, TW, etc) active on the mainland may increasingly become more popular ways to potentially benefit from possible ongoing growth in the Middle Kingdom (China).

Related Barrons article: Some China Stocks Could Vanish in the U.S. What to Know.

Reaction Score
I have Fidelity and I have no had a issues with them. The customer support is great and they have great mutual funds, but their web version and app are not good IMO, which is big for me. Would you guys recommend TD Ameritrade over them?

No specific comment regarding either Fido nor TD Ameritrade, but be aware integration of the latter in to Schwab is now in process. Fido, SCHW and Vanguard are each solid companies, yet each are also laden with a LOT of legacy technology. With TD and SCHW, ideally they pull the best of both, kill the worst, and introduce enhanced, newer tech to bring the resulting integrated company more into the 21st century sans shystery Robbinghood ops, non-existent client support, dearth of legit fiduciary practices, etc.

SoFi is interesting. Anthony Soto and team seem to have established a solid company with appropriate fiduciary practices, reasonable support, and they appear to be polar opposites of Robbinghood's Vlad born in a small Bulgarian town. Observing Robbinghood go public may he entertaining.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Slight bounce today. Good to see the resistance.

Reaction Score
Slight bounce today. Good to see the resistance.
Yes, but if the pessimism was covid concern for lockdowns it is unfortunately more likely to roll backwards. Seems like the math on infections is just inevitable bad news at this point. Add all the supply issues in every business and we've got some serious short-term impediments to growth.

Reaction Score
Yes, but if the pessimism was covid concern for lockdowns it is unfortunately more likely to roll backwards. Seems like the math on infections is just inevitable bad news at this point. Add all the supply issues in every business and we've got some serious short-term impediments to growth.
IMHO, yesterday's general drops among many US/western/global equities of various types/caps were not solely due to spikes in Delta/India variants of mainland China SARS-2 and global supply chain challenges you reference. See US Treasury overreaction, further build up in US/West v mainland Central Govt (govt-sponsored hacks on the west, regulatory IPO constraints to SSE, SZE, HKSE v NYSE/Nasdaq/LSE IPOs, ongoing mainland big tech regulatory claws, etc.)

Additionally, US/western labor availability vs willingness of many unemployed to work at offered comp levels (particularly schools reopen FT), potential actions of ridiculously over-margined crypto holders and some equity shorts cashing in to free up cash to meet margin calls; reasonable sales of some overly-juiced equities of various types, etc.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It seems that was part of it. Supply chain issues remain massive all over. Interesting that demand is high. At some point capital will flow to solve that supply problem. Microchips in cars for example, Intel will probably get into that business.

As for Covid restrictions. Have you seen the protests in France and the UK? I would expect the same here. There's no appetite to shut things down again rather than to just accept that this virus is present and live with it.

Agree with @Da_Aisijimo_Gou that there are many other factors affecting the markets. The Federal Reserve can't seem to get its act together for one.

Reaction Score

I have Fidelity Active Trader Pro software and I've found it to be excellent for my stock charting and buying/selling purposes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have Fidelity Active Trader Pro software and I've found it to be excellent for my stock charting and buying/selling purposes.

My company's 401k is done through Fidelity and it's also where I do my stock trading.

Keep a separate Vanguard IRA where I put any random money which comes my way.

No complaints with either one.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My company's 401k is done through Fidelity and it's also where I do my stock trading.

Keep a separate Vanguard IRA where I put any random money which comes my way.

No complaints with either one.

As we have dealt with the death of my mother in law and my father in law's dementia, I will say this: there are benefits to having almost everything all in one place. I just keep everything at Fidelity now. They haven't charged me a penny to trade in many years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom