OT: Stock trading | Page 160 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
When a company you own is down 10% in a day, how much would you buy on the dip?

I own bili, plan to hold and believe it's a good buy. What % of what you own would you buy on a 10% dip?

If you believe you can't time the market (as many folks do), then you determine if the fundamentals of the business remain sound and you hold and reinvest at whatever predetermined intervals you already had in place. If you believe this current dip is an over-reaction to the overall market then maybe you load up a little now.

Honestly, don't try to time the market..........

Reaction Score
Honestly, don't try to time the market..........
This is why I buy in increments. Gone are the days where you pay $7 a trade. Set up a limit buy at $110, $107.50, $105.00, etc. Eventually you'll get the bottom buy and your DCA will be lower.

Reaction Score

I own bili, plan to hold and believe it's a good buy. What % of what you own would you buy on a 10% dip?
Is this a covid winter round 2 play? Might be a good play with the Delta and potentially Lamda variants running rampant and a large portion of the population not willing to get vaccinated. My re-opening stocks have taken a beating the last few weeks even despite the July 4th rush. Is the cold season getting priced in right now?

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I have a grinch-like smile on my face. It's because I own RFL and DPLS. Let's gooooooo.
No reason to let go...contracts haven't even come through yet. Should be a doozy of a second half '21.

They bought three companies last month to better implement their tech and to serve their clients/future clients needs.

I've had some back and forth with Dennis about the benefits of their tech in my industry (multifamily developments) and, though not a priority atm, they have such a wide net of potential revenue streams.

Super stoked to be in early.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I don't put a strict number or amount on anything. If you like the company and have disposable cash to invest, buy. It's not rocket science.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Not to mention our country's infrastructure is a bit dated and in need of upgrades/monitoring. Their CEO said in an interview that their technology is going to be useful in that area. We need this infrastructure bill to be big and to pass...and for DPLS to scoop some contracts. Like you said, their technology is applicable and needed in so many instances. My average cost is below .02.
Think of the Miami building collapse...the 35w Minneapolis bridge...Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill....the list goes on. All potentially avoidable if DPLS has the capabilities they are saying they do. The public will demand real time feedback on these structures, and a reasonable person could expect this tech added to building codes of our future smart cities. Cha-Ching.

Reaction Score
Shoulda listened to myself
Wanted to get it into LLIT/NEGG @ 4

NEGG is now 18! Up 70% today!
Any one get on this?
Its @ 60+ now.

such a dummy. Had it and sold my
measly 15 shares when LL for 100+
Could be 1000 now

man, the calls on these must be.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Phillip Morris and Altria have great dividends. I believe I read an article that said Philip Morris has been the best performing stock since the early 90's

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Phillip Morris and Altria have great dividends. I believe I read an article that said Philip Morris has been the best performing stock since the early 90's

Yup.

And Altria is getting into spirits, vaping, and weed.

Trying to be the ultimate sin stock lol

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Think of the Miami building collapse...the 35w Minneapolis bridge...Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill....the list goes on. All potentially avoidable if DPLS has the capabilities they are saying they do. The public will demand real time feedback on these structures, and a reasonable person could expect this tech added to building codes of our future smart cities. Cha-Ching.
Absolutely. There's far too many roads, bridges, tunnels, towers, etc. in America that are past their prime or getting close. Hopefully DPLS can fill the void that exists concerning how to monitor these structures.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
anyone trying to find some of these premarket rockets? Seems like every day or week there are a dozen or so that just take off to 25%, 50%, or over 100%

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
anyone trying to find some of these premarket rockets? Seems like every day or week there are a dozen or so that just take off to 25%, 50%, or over 100%
Pump and Dump!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Thought this was pretty solid. In particular the strong demand for jobs in the suburbs creates a mismatch with many of the unemployed living in city centers. Is there a reverse commute transportation infrastructure? I don't think so.

Jobs Are Hard to Fill, and Ideology Makes It Hard to Understand Why - WSJ
A job location mismatch is part of the problem. There are many factors leading to employers needing help and not being able to find it at the moment. Despite what some people are saying about the $300 unemployment top-off, there are many factors, including more than these, but these are a few that I've seen/heard:
1- People realized they weren't working in a job they liked or desired and have moved on to another (especially true for my friends who worked in restaurants)
2- People realized they were underpaid and either found a higher paying job, or are getting the skills needed to acquire one
3- People made realizations about what is important in life, and prioritize money and material goods less now, and thus are willing to work less
4- Enhanced unemployment benefits...Why work 40 hours a week to take home $450 when you can relax and take it easy for more? Especially knowing there will be a job open in September when the add-on ends
5- People are still fearful of covid, especially in industries that deal with the public
6- People may now have to/want to spend more time with children or older family members
7- In homes with two parents children, when schools were closed and people began working from home, it was sometimes necessary for one of the parents to dedicate their time to the kids...they got used to it and haven't looked to go back to work yet.

Reaction Score
1-2 weeks away from schools re-opening in some states, e.g., Arizona, Georgia, etc. As children are back in school and extra unemployment bonuses further fade away, observing rates of people more proactively seeking employment and higher net revenue may prove interesting.

Meanwhile in some large cities, rental cost increases reflect rising demand among moving currents, returnees, and potential new residents. Boston and Chicago remain down a bit now, but will lease rates lag 1-2 years barring massive new SARS-2 spikes or proof existing or enhanced vaccines prove ineffective against the India Delta or other SARS-2 variants? Should/if a 2022-23 economic decline kicks in, some employment seekers may become far more open minded about offices/restaurants/not WFA. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HTZZW - If patient, and LT-focused, with 30-year exercise periods and $13.80 strike price Hertz warrants may offer sizeable upside. Not without risk, but try renting vehicles at many locations, airports, etc now let alone considering HTZZ's recent bankruptcy-enabled lower debt and competitive upside versus CAR, Enterprise, etc.

Reaction Score

Good call, thanks. The Chinese stocks are bouncing back from the Didi situation. I bought down to $100 and picked up some quick spare change. See if you had blown your load at $111, you wouldn't have profited so quickly.

Reaction Score
Need special software for this I guess.
Identify the Market: Before starting the mobile app development process by mlsdev.com/services/web-development, it is essential to identify the target audience for the app idea. This ensures that the kind of functional requirements that the app development professionals will need to consider while developing the app. As per the app idea, the functional requirements would differ according to the nature of the business.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not going back to where it was. They need to stop thinking about bolstering mass transit, unless they can add more point to point transit outside of Boston. I think I actually participated in this survey from McKinsey. I expect most cities would see similar results.

"Baker and Labor and Workforce Development Secretary Rosalin Acosta each pointed to the report’s estimate that 300,000 to 400,000 workers could need to transition to different occupations or occupational categories over the next decade if the pandemic-accelerated trends around automation, e-commerce and digitization continue.

“This isn’t some distant, academic question that will need to be solved by future generations,” Acosta said. “By 2025 to 2030, the ability to successfully reskill approximately 30,000 to 40,000 people per year could lead to a vibrant commonwealth in which new opportunities outpace workforce growth.”

No surprise here. My town seems to be booming.
The report considers implications across regions, finding that Greater Boston suburbs “may be the natural beneficiaries of future of work trends, with potential for increased vibrancy as remote-eligible workers spend more time closer to home.” Meanwhile, it said urban residential areas within about 15 miles of Boston, with lower average wages, higher proportions of immigrant and minority communities, and more residents employed in vulnerable sectors like hospitality, retail and food service “may face the most challenges post-pandemic.”

Urban, suburban shift highlighted in future of work report – Boston 25 News

Reaction Score
It's not going back to where it was. They need to stop thinking about bolstering mass transit, unless they can add more point to point transit outside of Boston. I think I actually participated in this survey from McKinsey. I expect most cities would see similar results.

No surprise here. My town seems to be booming.

Urban, suburban shift highlighted in future of work report – Boston 25 News
Its going to get a lot more interesting in September, Back Bay & financial district are at less than 50% capacity and the trains are still empty. That is very likely to be different after labor day and I expect lots of TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE stories around here and in other big cities with mass transit and bad traffic. This ultimately will aid the long-term shift to more work from home, but lots of companies want employees back 3-4 days a week. There are going to be issues getting the workers to the jobs much like the general supply chain shortages of materials in the economy resulting from pandemic stops & starts.

Besides higher gas prices, not sure what specific economic impact the fall traffic Armageddon will have on the economy. What companies or industries will benefit?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Its going to get a lot more interesting in September, Back Bay & financial district are at less than 50% capacity and the trains are still empty. That is very likely to be different after labor day and I expect lots of TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE stories around here and in other big cities with mass transit and bad traffic. This ultimately will aid the long-term shift to more work from home, but lots of companies want employees back 3-4 days a week. There are going to be issues getting the workers to the jobs much like the general supply chain shortages of materials in the economy resulting from pandemic stops & starts.

Besides higher gas prices, not sure what specific economic impact the fall traffic Armageddon will have on the economy. What companies or industries will benefit?

I'm not sure there will be an traffic Armageddon. I don't think commuter traffic will come back to pre-pandemic levels. Boston traffic has been awful for several years. I agree there will be issues getting workers to jobs but that's because I expect jobs to be more distributed away from city centers.

I think the impacts will vary greatly in different industries and jobs. Waitstaff, cooks, bartender, plumbers, electricians, retail, hairstylists, etc....demand will be up in the burbs and down in the city center. Short and long term.

White collar office workers, hybrid WFH/WFO, full WFH and a few in full WFO. The economics are too compelling. We are shutting down office space. Talked to a financial services person who worked downtown, they are going from like 10 floors to 3 in their building. Then you add the reduced commute cost and time savings to employees. Reduced electricity cost. Any productivity lost is easily made up for by massive cost savings. Companies that don't offer at least hybrid WFH are doomed. Loads of reports of people just quitting when asked to go back full time.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there will be an traffic Armageddon. I don't think commuter traffic will come back to pre-pandemic levels. Boston traffic has been awful for several years. I agree there will be issues getting workers to jobs but that's because I expect jobs to be more distributed away from city centers.

I think the impacts will vary greatly in different industries and jobs. Waitstaff, cooks, bartender, plumbers, electricians, retail, hairstylists, etc....demand will be up in the burbs and down in the city center. Short and long term.

White collar office workers, hybrid WFH/WFO, full WFH and a few in full WFO. The economics are too compelling. We are shutting down office space. Talked to a financial services person who worked downtown, they are going from like 10 floors to 3 in their building. Then you add the reduced commute cost and time savings to employees. Reduced electricity cost. Any productivity lost is easily made up for by massive cost savings. Companies that don't offer at least hybrid WFH are doomed. Loads of reports of people just quitting when asked to go back full time.

I was told by my boss that it would be cheaper to pay for me to have a co working space membership than the electricity from my location at work alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom