OT: Stock trading | Page 143 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
My friend said eth needs link not the other way around
I would tend to agree, but we can't ignore that the link token would not exist without Eth, but for Eth to reach its full potential (hybrid smart contracts) it needs chainlink .

Eth is a company going west to mine for gold. Chainlink is the company that sells all the supplies you need to mine for gold, not only to Eth, but to everyone else as well.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I would tend to agree, but we can't ignore that the link token would not exist without Eth, but for Eth to reach its full potential (hybrid smart contracts) it needs chainlink .

Eth is a company going west to mine for gold. Chainlink is the company that sells all the supplies you need to mine for gold, not only to Eth, but to everyone else as well.
'Chainlink is the company that sells all the supplies you need to mine for gold, not only to Eth, but to everyone else as well.' yes. cf. levi strauss and kali gold rush.
as to 'good hands' and quality of info? well, good luck with that.
here, have sum 'now' headlines:
Yankees and Mets permitted 100% capacity if all fans are vaccinated | MLB | The Guardian
yet
Yankee Stadium, Citi Field To Seat Fans In Vaccinated And Unvaccinated Sections, Offer Shots And Free Tickets – CBS New York (cbslocal.com)
and to think that just last week, i was explicity disallowed to visit yankee stadium. that was fast. looks like they do, in fact, need my money, with 'money' being the operative word here.

Reaction Score
'Chainlink is the company that sells all the supplies you need to mine for gold, not only to Eth, but to everyone else as well.' yes. cf. levi strauss and kali gold rush.
as to 'good hands' and quality of info? well, good luck with that.
here, have sum 'now' headlines:
Yankees and Mets permitted 100% capacity if all fans are vaccinated | MLB | The Guardian
yet
Yankee Stadium, Citi Field To Seat Fans In Vaccinated And Unvaccinated Sections, Offer Shots And Free Tickets – CBS New York (cbslocal.com)
and to think that just last week, i was explicity disallowed to visit yankee stadium. that was fast. looks like they do, in fact, need my money, with 'money' being the operative word here.

It was always a battle between money and public safety. Just depended on where each individual drew the line.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Any recommendations for an online wallet (I have an offline hard wallet) for someone who uses Coinbase as an exchange? I've got enough on the exchange that I want to put it in a soft wallet at least.

Reaction Score
Any recommendations for an online wallet (I have an offline hard wallet) for someone who uses Coinbase as an exchange? I've got enough on the exchange that I want to put it in a soft wallet at least.
Coinbase wallet is good for that, I think Coinbase has favorable to no fees to transfer to their wallet.

@uconntoatl recommended Celsius wallet a while back which is awesome. If you have the tokens/coins they support you can get pretty good interest to hold most there. Currently 6.2% BTC, 5.05%ETH, 3%LINK, etc.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Ok, old-ish guy here. Not as old as my avatar. What is the best way to dip my investing toe into blockchain? Let's say I don't want to own a single or a few different cryptos. Are there indexes that trade? Bottom line, I would like to invest in blockchain technologies not try to pick winners on a crypto to crypto basis. Kind of like sector indexes.

Reaction Score
Coinbase wallet is good for that, I think Coinbase has favorable to no fees to transfer to their wallet.

@uconntoatl recommended Celsius wallet a while back which is awesome. If you have the tokens/coins they support you can get pretty good interest to hold most there. Currently 6.2% BTC, 5.05%ETH, 3%LINK, etc.

I use Coinbase wallet - really easy to set up - just make sure you have your keys somewhere because if you don't your crypto is gone :)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oh, look, more experts talking farm animals dispensing truth nonsense.
Nonfarm Payrolls Preview: Forecasts from eight major banks for April jobs report (fxstreet.com)
not 1 million+, moar like 1/4 million. missed it by that much... the sick part of all this is that the equity market covertly cheers for bad job news due to the effect of it tamping down the rise in rates. one might even cynically think that the prognosticators only put out their completely insane forecasts knowing the current rate dynamic, just to load up on calls for the morning. don't they talk to actual employers and hear their common observation that 'no one wants to get off the couch since the free cheese pipeline is wide open?' i do, all the time. we'll leave that mammoth rise for input costs, a favorite real world observation of mine since last fall, alone for today.
good info? indeed.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Trust

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ok, old-ish guy here. Not as old as my avatar. What is the best way to dip my investing toe into blockchain? Let's say I don't want to own a single or a few different cryptos. Are there indexes that trade? Bottom line, I would like to invest in blockchain technologies not try to pick winners on a crypto to crypto basis. Kind of like sector indexes.
Coinbase is the best way to get started. Just remember, when you leave them on any exchange, you don’t own them. That’s why you see us talking about wallets. It’s not like a stock. I’m not sure about crypto “baskets”

if you want to use the stock market, grayscale is a good one, there’s a polkadot equity in Switzerland, and several other ets, etc you can find

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@UConnSwag11 Thanks. So, get a wallet first so you're able to transfer after purchase? Is Kraken a good way to invest in Polkadot for US buyers? This stuff is way over my head but I'm convinced that while I'm late to the party the party will last a long time. Also, no better way to figure something out than to get a little skin in the game without taking big risks.

Reaction Score
I purchased all my DOT off Kraken and stake it all there as well. Best and easiest option.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@UConnSwag11 Thanks. So, get a wallet first so you're able to transfer after purchase? Is Kraken a good way to invest in Polkadot for US buyers? This stuff is way over my head but I'm convinced that while I'm late to the party the party will last a long time. Also, no better way to figure something out than to get a little skin in the game without taking big risks.
I’ve never used kraken. If you have coinbase, I’d buy link, btc, ETH, xlm, Cardano, matic.

if you get a wallet, you are responsible for everything. If you loose your password or recover words, all your crypto is gone. You are your own bank. Coinbase and all exchanges hold your crypto for you and can essentially do whatever they want

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They will eventually do this for all exchanges. I HODL long term so not taxable gains. CoinTracker is a great app to monitor taxes with crypto.
I’m going to use koinly. I’ve read that capital gains taxes apply to holding

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m going to use doubly. I’ve read that capital gains taxes apply to holding
I’ve been under the impression that long term, over 1 year, is the same as stocks. Instead of being taxed as income, it puts you in that 0%, 15%, 20%, depending on how much you make.

Reaction Score
I’ve been under the impression that long term, over 1 year, is the same as stocks. Instead of being taxed as income, it puts you in that 0%, 15%, 20%, depending on how much you make.

Any crypto to crypto transaction is taxable. Any conversion of crypto to usd is a taxable event, treated as capital gains tax. Buying crypto and holding is not a taxable event.

Crypto gets taxed as first in first out. So if you bought 1 ETHEREUM back in 2017 for 10 bucks and 1 ETHEREUM for 3500 yesterday, and decided to sell 1 ETHEREUM today for 3600, you will get taxed on the gains you made on your first ETHEREUM purchase in 2017.

Reaction Score
Any crypto to crypto transaction is taxable. Any conversion of crypto to usd is a taxable event, treated as capital gains tax. Buying crypto and holding is not a taxable event.

Crypto gets taxed as first in first out. So if you bought 1 ETHEREUM back in 2017 for 10 bucks and 1 ETHEREUM for 3500 yesterday, and decided to sell 1 ETHEREUM today for 3600, you will get taxed on the gains you made on your first ETHEREUM purchase in 2017.

Agree - but wouldn't that ETH you sell from 2017 be 0% under the long term capital gains rate since you've held over 1 year? Not to argue, but want to know as I've been purposely trying to hold a lot of my crypto over 1 year for this reason.

1620481190069.png

Reaction Score
and for those playing along at home and wondering 'am i too late to join the hottest card game on earth?' the answer to the question is 'no, ur not too late, bcuz it's just getting started. plenty of time to have both epic wins and losses.'
Goldman Sachs internal memo unveils new cryptocurrency trading team (cnbc.com)
I often discuss this with my crypto friends, regarding which inning crypto is in. The consensus seems to be the 2nd or 3rd inning. Almost everyone I know is at least aware of it now.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34