OT: Stock trading | Page 134 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
Since you're asking. I'm pretty conservative. I always go with a index ETF, and almost always the S&P500. When I see irrational exuberance and I'm "sitting in front of my computer", I'm in a highly leveraged ETF, like TQQQ. But, I have a quick trigger getting out. Normalized times (like now), I'm in SPY. AND always with a trailing stop loss!

Reaction Score
Are stonks & thus this thread dead?
A slow decline now a big dip in SENS - any of its faithful have deets on why?
Every Tom, Dick & Harry have now tasted what a pump is, and hence have moved on to crypto, haha.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Stock market has been garbage this year. Hedge funds still haven’t delivered shares due to shorting stocks like GME, AMC, BB, etc.

There’s like 500 million shares that need to be purchased on AMC. They’re currently trying to drive the price down so when they buy back their shares it’s at less of a loss.

Reaction Score
Every Tom, Dick & Harry have now tasted what a pump is, and hence have moved on to crypto, haha.
I’m guessing and hoping crypto has a year this year like stocks did in 2020. More retail investors are buying crypto, ETFs are being created and the COIN direct listing this week should help bring even more exposure. I love most of my stocks longterm but am more excited by my crypto portfolio right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I've been doing well of late. Even today I'm about break even. As I said a few weeks back, I'm currently sitting it wait and see mode. There is almost nothing compelling me to sell this or buy that. The only thing I'm trying to do is find more productive, but very safe uses for cash.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I've been doing well of late. Even today I'm about break even. As I said a few weeks back, I'm currently sitting it wait and see mode. There is almost nothing compelling me to sell this or buy that. The only thing I'm trying to do is find more productive, but very safe uses for cash.
pro tip: stonks, bonds, commodities, and forex. those last three count, too. here, have a freebie, up only like 33% since new years day, and up a gazillion percent since last year. and to think that some of youse make fun of us slack-jawed loggers...
Lumber | 1978-2021 Data | 2022-2023 Forecast | Price | Quote | Chart | Historical (tradingeconomics.com)

Reaction Score
I got in Carnival this past summer. Up 90% since I bought. :). I tried the nokia bet. Lost 25%. Stupid.

Reaction Score
Stock market has been garbage this year. Hedge funds still haven’t delivered shares due to shorting stocks like GME, AMC, BB, etc. There’s like 500 million shares that need to be purchased on AMC. They’re currently trying to drive the price down so when they buy back their shares it’s at less of a loss.
Clearly, GME, AMC, BB, etc are aberrations unreflective of broadly diverse, global stock markets. Similarly,, many a WFA which unreasonably spiked last year, and a few too many hyper-aggressive SPACs do not reflect the entire "stock market".

As others belatedly started buying financials, materials, industrials, semis, select transportations, non-SARS-2 medical equipment, some emerging markets (e.g., VN, IN; less so mainland so far), lg cap value, initially small caps and more mid caps now, the "stock market" has been far from garbage for others. On the contrary, pretty darn good. Timing, selection, breadth of "stock market" perspective and exposure matter.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Clearly, GME, AMC, BB, etc are aberrations unreflective of broadly diverse, global stock markets. Similarly,, many a WFA which unreasonably spiked last year, and a few too many hyper-aggressive SPACs do not reflect the entire "stock market".

As others belatedly started buying financials, materials, industrials, semis, select transportations, non-SARS-2 medical equipment, some emerging markets (e.g., VN, IN; less so mainland so far), lg cap value, initially small caps and more mid caps now, the "stock market" has been far from garbage for others. On the contrary, pretty darn good. Timing, selection, breadth of "stock market" perspective and exposure matter.

More likely it has been "garbage" for day traders and not for investors. NVDA did me a solid today, up 5.62%, but that's because I've been holding it through the down times as well.

Reaction Score
I finally bought into SENS. My plan is to sell covered calls against my shares for May and June. To risky for July. I am a Type1. August is what I am projecting for FDA approval on the 180 day Eversense CGM. It could happen sooner. I bought when the company locked employees into a $2.58 compensation related purchase price over the course of several years. Also key insiders are now locked in @ $2.58. These indicators are VERY bullish long term.

The short interest and a few other things are causing the dip and downward pressure. I wear Dexcom G6 but believe SENS will take a solid part of the market share in the next several years. I am hoping it continues to pull back to $1.90 where the whales are already loaded up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Using chainlink 's decentralized oracles and api data feeds you can bet what the weather is gonna be on Mars......wait what? You're still early if you're tapped into link. Endless applications

Reaction Score
NVDA did me a solid today, up 5.62%, but that's because I've been holding it through the down times as well.
Likewise, yet I bought NVDA as a LT hold near 2020 lows on April Fool's Day 2020. Up again today, but 2 years is a long time until NVDA's newly promised ARM chips are projected to hit the market. Consequently, yesterday's 5% AMD dip and Lisa Su's leadership prompted adding more AMD for LT hold.

Reaction Score
JNJ: Overreaction? Reportedly, may have impacted six (6) females b/tw 18-48 years old. After 7 million JNJ SARS-2 innoculations, six (6) potentially related albeit unconfirmed clotting issues. Tragic for 1 family, yet only 1 death. Interestingly, similar clotting concerns exist with females using contraceptives. Additionally, it's unclear whether the purported JNJ clotting risk even matches general risks of other SARS-2 vaccines.

Nonetheless appropriate CDC, FDA and JNJ caution. Anecdotal, yet my wife in the age range experienced no significant issues. Almost sold some MRNA yet resisted on resulting spike, but added more JNJ to LT retirement hold. SARS-2 or not, the US and average global population's not getting younger.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
JNJ: Overreaction? Reportedly, may have impacted six (6) females b/tw 18-48 years old. After 7 million JNJ SARS-2 innoculations, six (6) potentially related albeit unconfirmed clotting issues. Tragic for 1 family, yet only 1 death. Interestingly, similar clotting concerns exist with females using contraceptives. Additionally, it's unclear whether the purported JNJ clotting risk even matches general risks of other SARS-2 vaccines.

Nonetheless appropriate CDC, FDA and JNJ caution. Anecdotal, yet my wife in the age range experienced no significant issues. Almost sold some MRNA yet resisted on resulting spike, but added more JNJ to LT retirement hold. SARS-2 or not, the US and average global population's not getting younger.

Yeah but it is also on pause in Europe. The issue is the same as the Aztra Zeneca vaccine. So that ups the numbers affected (which are probably under-reported). Lots of speculation, including (a) it seems to affect younger women (b) birth control pills have some issues too may lead to: (c) perhaps the combination is contra-indicated. They are chasing it down, so the pause makes sense while they do.

Reaction Score
Yeah but it is also on pause in Europe. They are chasing it down, so the pause makes sense while they do.
Yup, "appropriate caution" as specifically noted in prior post. 6 youngish women / Seven million total JNJ inoculations in the US ==> Identify if any or rule out any direct relationship, refrain from inoculating any confirmed demographic, potentially re-instate EUA for far larger remainder of population. Yup, the pause makes sense.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yup, "appropriate caution" as specifically noted in prior post. 6 youngish women / Seven million total JNJ inoculations in the US ==> Identify if any or rule out any direct relationship, refrain from inoculating any confirmed demographic, potentially re-instate EUA for far larger remainder of population. Yup, the pause makes sense.
unless it's sarcasm, the j+j pause does not make sense, mostly due to unnecessary discomfort it can cause for some who have already taken it. leaving that aside, you may enjoy this narrative for the current equity market.
How Bill Hwang of Archegos Capital Lost $20 Billion in Two Days - Bloomberg
and no, it's not 'contained' yet.

Reaction Score
unless it's sarcasm, the j+j pause does not make sense, mostly due to unnecessary discomfort it can cause for some who have already taken it. leaving that aside, you may enjoy this narrative for the current equity market.
Reasonable clinical review, not the least bit sarcastic. However, some people potentially now experiencing what's termed as unnecessary discomfort were likely among many who opted out of MRNA and PFE with their own possible concerns. What will be interesting to learn is how many 18-48 year olds on the pill have entirely ignored reportedly similar clotting side affect notices on their contraceptive packaging.
Yup, it's not as if Archegos, Melvin, and other institutional investors (possibly even including Wood) and CS, NMR and other PBs have been alone in massive bets of varied risk and may still be exposed to various degrees. Not touching the article's reference to Hwang's cited religious investment inspirations. Upcoming weeks-months may be interesting. Ideally, not too harshly for day traders and LT investors alike and hopefully favorably overall. Reasonably hedged (USD; US & global markets) and less USD-dependent than many Yanks, I sure hope some puts go unexercised.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20210414-190557_Message+.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom