OT: Stock trading | Page 133 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
At this point, I'm just waiting and watching. Don't see any clear reason to buy or sell right now.
Yeah I've rolled over a bunch of cash to IRAs and I keep sitting on it. Safest/smartest route would be to throw it into ETFs, but what fun would that be....

Reaction Score
After selling long held mutual funds late Jan-mid Mar, high flyers bought late Mar 2020 as many Americans belately learned of non-flu SARS-2, guaranteeing old energy/oil and MAR, SABR, ALK and AAL breakevens 2 weeks ago, sitting on ship loads of cash may not be the worst situation. Just announced all-cash merger buyouts of 2 companies (GNMK & FLY) involuntarily add more unplanned cash.

Shenanigans-inspired margin call impacts aside, opportunities exist with reasonable LT upside IMHO. Similarly, lesser perceived correlation exists with still oversold UK and current SARS hammered EU (adding more FLGB, DAX and IEUS on dips). Even in the States (bought Medicare-safety LHCG, added to precious metals/coin dealer AMRK booming after recent acquisition and on inflation fears pre-new reports of potentially accepting crypto payments, added to oversold regional bank KRE pre-market below today's low, adding more XLB and XLI infrastructure on bigger dips and federal funding initiatives, and may even buy back in VIAC if it hits 40 or levels out <45). Not day trading, other than some GME in gambling Roth and consistent paying tenants help.

Reaction Score
It has been a rough few weeks for my portfolio as I'm tech heavy. Probably too tech heavy. Down quite a large amount from my all-time high. A lesson learned for the future.
But you are keeping it real. That is always the most refreshing part of any message board post. We all have been there.

Reaction Score
It has been a rough few weeks for my portfolio as I'm tech heavy. Probably too tech heavy. Down quite a large amount from my all-time high. A lesson learned for the future.
I too switched from re-opening to tech way too early after the first big dip and it cost me close to a 1/3 of my profits. However, I've been buying the dips hard and working extra hard swing trading and now getting back close to ATH. The last two days have been helpful and I'm feeling good about my portfolio again.

On a side note, I gave my cousin some tips and he did well with AMC. But now he complains to me every other day about CLOV. Whutdafuq? All these new investors want instant gratification. He went from buying for long hold to 'why doesn't it go up 50% in a week'?

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I've gotten killed in a few names also lately but I'm in them for the long haul so I'm not all that worried. I have a watch list set up for a bunch of stocks that trade under $10-15 and it seems like when one is down 10-20%, they all are.

Reaction Score
I too switched from re-opening to tech way too early after the first big dip and it cost me close to a 1/3 of my profits. However, I've been buying the dips hard and working extra hard swing trading and now getting back close to ATH. The last two days have been helpful and I'm feeling good about my portfolio again.

On a side note, I gave my cousin some tips and he did well with AMC. But now he complains to me every other day about CLOV. Whutdafuq? All these new investors want instant gratification. He went from buying for long hold to 'why doesn't it go up 50% in a week'?
Tell him:

Patience Calm Down GIF by Brat TV

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

hold. hold. hold. That is if you like the fundamentals of the business. If not, get out.

I'm not convinced that we have really seen the amount of long term change that the pandemic accelerated. Too many were looking short term, thinking the tech wins were short lived and would decline post pandemic. I don't think it's true. Sure, some things that are down may come back, like travel. But stuff like e-sports was already poised to grow and become bigger, just because it got a boost doesn't mean that long term trend reverses.

I'm not close enough to retirement yet to forgo the sector that is likely to dominate the economy indefinitely into the future. We are never, ever going to be less digital than we are right now, barring a zombie/nuclear catastrophe.

Reaction Score
Oh I'm holding. I just wish I would have pulled the trigger on a few sells when we were riding high and I was considering it.

Reaction Score
OT question since the market is closed today:

TDAmeritrade or Think or Swim?

I've had an Ameritrade account for over a decade now. I do 90% of my trading on my laptop, so I don't need an "app". I've been crypto swing trading on several different exchanges for years now, so I'm used to candlestick charts. Is it worth the effort to adjust to TOS, or not really necessary unless you're on your phone? Also, I only trade shares and don't play with options.

Reaction Score

I've had an Ameritrade account for over a decade now. I do 90% of my trading on my laptop, so I don't need an "app". I've been crypto swing trading on several different exchanges for years now, so I'm used to candlestick charts. Is it worth the effort to adjust to TOS, or not really necessary unless you're on your phone? Also, I only trade shares and don't play with options.
I'm messing around with it right now and what I do really like is that it groups my limit orders per stock. So I don't have to sift through all my open orders. Like with crypto. I think I'll start with having both open and switching tabs.

Reaction Score

Definitely, T or S. If you trade on technicals as opposed to trading on fundamentals then T or S is the way to go. I used Metastock years ago for technical analysis but got rid of it when Ameritrade came out with Think or Swim which puts everything on the same plate. I will say that Metastock’s technical analysis “plate” is the best but it is expensive. Unless you’re a day trader making more than 10 trades a day, stay away from Level 2 market maker window stuff, it’s a waste of money, and may actually cause you to sell when you never should have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My cryptos are BTC, which I think is a no brainer long term, and Ether. I’m buying and holding for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom