OT: Stock trading | Page 131 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what is and isn't a "Pandemic Market". Near normal is probably 2-3 months away in my view. What does that change? WFH? Not much. How about ordering from Dunkin on an app and picking it up? You think that stops? Nope. The end of the Pandemic will drive large companies who have been sitting on cash to invest it. Where do they invest it? I have been long tech because I believe every company is a tech company now. Grocery stores? Win with tech. Retail? Tech. Transport? Tech. Finance? Tech. Some are lagging and others are early adopters.

Think of it this way. Fifteen years ago did you consider retail a tech sector? Media and entertainment? How about 5-6 years ago, did you consider the taxi business a tech business? What about the hotel/short terms stay business, was that a tech business before AirBnB? Paypal was around, but it feels like Venmo has replaced cash. My belief is that the shift from now to 2030 will be bigger than the shift from 2010-2020.

Who wins? Who loses? Not sure other than that anybody standing still is going to lose.
Pandemic market = "It’s more of the same so far this morning as Treasury yields bleed higher–albeit only slightly–while the Nasdaq gets hit hard and reopening stocks surge,"

J-Pow is starting to let us down easy (ok, maybe not easy for the pump n dump tech stocks).

The DJIA went up 1.5%, while Nasdaq went down 2% and TSLA 6%. The ripple effects of the pandemic are going to be here for a while.

What you really should be arguing is how amazing it is that GOOGLE has been impervious so far. That's a steamship that keeps on chugging. I can't believe its still over $2,000.

But believe me I'm kicking myself for switching emphasis to tech from re-opening 2 weeks ago. Major mistake. And stating the obvious that tech will be around for a while is not making me feel warm and fuzzy about it.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what is and isn't a "Pandemic Market". Near normal is probably 2-3 months away in my view.
Yes, I think this is generally the sentiment. Probably by July based largely on getting more and more people vaccinated. We've been tranching in large deposits with the expectation that things are really going to open back up in the second half of the year barring a vaccine rollout issue, a new strain popping up or aliens coming down and starting to take out major cities Independence Day style. Spoke to an analyst at Blackrock who had a similar view on Friday (not about the aliens).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Pandemic market = "It’s more of the same so far this morning as Treasury yields bleed higher–albeit only slightly–while the Nasdaq gets hit hard and reopening stocks surge,"

J-Pow is starting to let us down easy (ok, maybe not easy for the pump n dump tech stocks).

The DJIA went up 1.5%, while Nasdaq went down 2% and TSLA 6%. The ripple effects of the pandemic are going to be here for a while.

What you really should be arguing is how amazing it is that GOOGLE has been impervious so far.
whispered question now in global financial capitals, 'has the fed, is the fed, losing control of it's credit markets?'
let's hope not. and, yes, we are in a whole new world. the 'bug' world. worst expert, genius, business modelers thus far - the seaborne shipping industry. holy moley, crisis there ain't too far from the truth. batten down them hatches, cuz rough seas ahead once our temporary sugar high from dc fades away, along with the leaves. 10 year now up a full 1% since the fall. copper, lumber, thru the roof. kali gas price up a buck in less than a year, heading towards $4 methinks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What you really should be arguing is how amazing it is that GOOGLE has been impervious so far. That's a steamship that keeps on chugging. I can't believe its still over $2,000.

But believe me I'm kicking myself for switching emphasis to tech from re-opening 2 weeks ago. Major mistake. And stating the obvious that tech will be around for a while is not making me feel warm and fuzzy about it.

I guess, but all of that is stupid. Who has cash? Apple, Google, Amazon. So people think those businesses should move inversely with interest rates? Really? OK. None of them will be touched by a rise in rates, other than making more on their cash hoard.

Reaction Score
I guess, but all of that is stupid. Who has cash? Apple, Google, Amazon. So people think those businesses should move inversely with interest rates? Really? OK. None of them will be touched by a rise in rates, other than making more on their cash hoard.
I hope you can appreciate the irony that you're trying to argue its a normal market and at the same time surprised by the irregularities.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
NFT's... is it me or is it plausible, that this medium could take off and change the market for collectibles, art, music etc. forever? It seems like they are starting to take off and I can't imagine that this isn't the future. I can be very wrong, I'm sure... I'm not a trader (I do have a couple thousand dollars in HBAR, ADA and LINK that I'm planning to hold as a possible lottery ticket someday)... but I'm fascinated with Blockchain technology and have been reading everything I could find for the last couple months.. just curious of the thoughts of those of you that know much more than I.

Reaction Score

It’s the valuation of the securities and their underlying businesses, not the impact of higher rates on the business itself. Higher interest rates generally mean declining valuations everything else being relatively stable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s the valuation of the securities and their underlying businesses, not the impact of higher rates on the business itself. Higher interest rates generally mean declining valuations everything else being relatively stable.

Sure. Except the Dow is up. The companies that face real future challenges are trending up.

Reaction Score
Sure. Except the Dow is up. The companies that face real future challenges are trending up.

Driven mostly by financials I believe. My financials and BRK are up substantially the last week or so.

May just be an excuse to take some air out of tech. Who knows. Timing is a tough go....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Driven mostly by financials I believe. My financials and BRK are up substantially the last week or so.

May just be an excuse to take some air out of tech. Who knows. Timing is a tough go....

Yeah, pru and unm got rockets strapped to their backs right now in my portfolio.

Reaction Score
ARKG -4%, TSLA -5% Hope you only went with the TSLA puts! Well played if so.
TSLA puts: exercised some Mon open. Again, they were also bought as partial ARKK hedge. After selling chunk of TSLA >880, the tech & battery power innovator must go OOB for our $51 TSLA shares to lose. Expect downturns, maybe way down, and spikes; holding yet hedged in case Musk is committed and sh|t really hits the TSLA bed. I jest, I hope.

Unrelated ARKG: Added yesterday to initial shares bought at Fri's bottom. Avg 79, on par with Nov price. LT.

Reaction Score
NFT's... is it me or is it plausible, that this medium could take off and change the market for collectibles, art, music etc. forever? It seems like they are starting to take off and I can't imagine that this isn't the future. I can be very wrong, I'm sure... I'm not a trader (I do have a couple thousand dollars in HBAR, ADA and LINK that I'm planning to hold as a possible lottery ticket someday)... but I'm fascinated with Blockchain technology and have been reading everything I could find for the last couple months.. just curious of the thoughts of those of you that know much more than I.
Stick to chainlink and all will be well.

Reaction Score
TSLA puts: exercised some Mon open. Again, they were also bought as partial ARKK hedge. After selling chunk of TSLA >880, the tech & battery power innovator must go OOB for our $51 TSLA shares to lose. Expect downturns, maybe way down, and spikes; holding yet hedged in case Musk is committed and sh|t really hits the TSLA bed. I jest, I hope.

Unrelated ARKG: Added yesterday to initial shares bought at Fri's bottom. Avg 79, on par with Nov price. LT.
Yes, that was the play! TSLA puts, wait, then ARKG shares. As I told you they'd move together and once again they're both up today. That was my point. Well played. I'm having a good day today too, much needed. Hope to get back to making money again soon.

Reaction Score
Yes, that was the play! TSLA puts, wait, then ARKG shares. As I told you they'd move together and once again they're both up today. That was my point. Well played. I'm having a good day today too, much needed. Hope to get back to making money again soon.
Good for you and many others having a better day. Yet, an ongoing view 2 separate sectors won't run near 1:1 over time is maintained. Similarly, 2 clearly different objectives and results in Wood's 2 significantly different ARRK v ARKG portfolios are anticipated to be more apparent over time. My time-horizon, LT than that of others and particularly comfortable once breakeven's ensured. Not there with ARKG.

Glad I took some old energy profits yesterday, with a bit put back to work in perceived oversold US & non-US tech/security/innovation stocks/ETFs, some to infrastructure PAVE and perceived less pricey SU (Canadian oil), and MOST to an expanding conservative bench. Relief/momentum bounce feels good today. Next month, quarter, year TBD.

Reaction Score
NFTs are here to stay. They are going to change quite a few industries.
As an example I have friends who are very successful rock stars- but the selling of their IP has not been a big money maker for them- they have to tour to make the big bucks. NFTs can change that and they will literally begin to make millions selling albums again.
The collectable market is also huge but I am leaving that for others- going to auctions ect.. is too time consuming and I wonder about them holding value when we are in leaner times- however it is a fascinating area to follow in the blockchain world.

Reaction Score
What would be your strategy buying calls on SENS with a 3-19 strike of either $2.50 or $3? The $2.50 strike is .40 and the $3 dollar strike is .25 (both on the ask if not mistaken). After hours it was trading up to around $2.69 (after the CEO confirmation) so it looks like it will open higher putting the $2.50 in the money or above strike in the first 15 mins of trading.

Any trends on SENS at open Monday would be appreciated. Is a quick pullback putting the $2.50 strike back out of the money in morning trading a good possibility? I was thinking of buying four or five contracts.

I wear the Dexcom G6. It looks like the FDA is scheduled to start review on the Eversense 180 day sensor (approved in Europe as you know) on April 15th. I think CEO has lowered expectations per conference call on when approval should be granted. So under promise over perform could the plan? I need to check short interest. Do you know what it is?

It will be interesting to see how those large stake holders like Smith/Coyle who I think are locked in @.39 c (Smith is) will move with their shares and when (I need to read terms). Partner Ascensia is hiring a bunch of people for marketing purposes like you mentioned with the April target.

Thanks for any info relating to your DD. :) Hope everyone is doing well.

Best Always,
BDH

Go Huskies!
Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. I don't dabble in options trading, so I don't think I could give you advice on that front. I tend to buy companies that I think will do well long-term and hold them until I think I've found better opportunities. I apologize if that isn't the answer you're looking for!

Reaction Score
Good for you and many others having a better day. Yet, an ongoing view 2 separate sectors won't run near 1:1 over time is maintained. Similarly, 2 clearly different objectives and results in Wood's 2 significantly different ARRK v ARKG portfolios are anticipated to be more apparent over time. My time-horizon, LT than that of others and particularly comfortable once breakeven's ensured. Not there with ARKG.

Glad I took some old energy profits yesterday, with a bit put back to work in perceived oversold US & non-US tech/security/innovation stocks/ETFs, some to infrastructure PAVE and perceived less pricey SU (Canadian oil), and MOST to an expanding conservative bench. Relief/momentum bounce feels good today. Next month, quarter, year TBD.
I'm just happy you bought TSLA puts then waited to buy ARKG when they were both down. That's all I'm saying. because I knew they wouldn't diverge any day soon. Well done.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. I don't dabble in options trading, so I don't think I could give you advice on that front. I tend to buy companies that I think will do well long-term and hold them until I think I've found better opportunities. I apologize if that isn't the answer you're looking for!
Thanks for the str8 up answer. Appreciated. I noticed Blackrock holds 26% of the short interest or more. It looks like Roche Holdings will be selling shares as the transition to Asencia takes place.

Competitor Dexcom traded @ 1.43 in 2008 before going over $400 this year. They owned the market though back then if not mistaken. Dexcom IPO was in 2005 for close to $12.00.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom