OT: Stock trading | Page 125 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
My eggs aren't all in that basket. And the gains of the last two months were substantial. I buy what I know.
Ok, I just worry about you because you keep saying you're getting clobbered. Especially the same days that I'm hitting bazinga!

Looks like inflated tech is in for another whacking today. Glad I sold off my travel to pick up tech on super sale!

What are you losing the most on, so I know what the best deals are? Thanks.

Reaction Score
Getting smoked pre-market. Love it. Only RFL is up.
Its waking up. Made a 100 point charge. I set up a slew of buy orders at 6:50 and most of them didn't hit. I hate to have to increase them.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
CCIV down 30% pre-market

p.s. how do you buy and sell pre/post market? Doesn't seem possible for me on TDAmeritrade
Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I was looking into it also but have never tried it. I believe you have to do a limit order for extended hours trading (drop-down on order screen) but TD only allows it for certain securities.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok, I just worry about you because you keep saying you're getting clobbered. Especially the same days that I'm hitting bazinga!

Looks like inflated tech is in for another whacking today. Glad I sold off my travel to pick up tech on super sale!

What are you losing the most on, so I know what the best deals are? Thanks.

The big losers were ARK ETFs, NVDA, Apple, ESPO, MSFT. Knock yourself out.

Reaction Score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I was looking into it also but have never tried it. I believe you have to do a limit order for extended hours trading (drop-down on order screen) but TD only allows it for certain securities.
that worked! just tried it. On the order screen, for "Time In Force" I selected "Extended hours AM", and it immediately went thru. Thanks!

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What is good to pick up on the dip today? Or do we think this is just the beginning of a bigger slide?

Reaction Score
that worked! just tried it. On the order screen, for "Time In Force" I selected "Extended hours AM", and it immediately went thru. Thanks!
Just about everyone of my orders is limit GTC+Ext. Runs from 7 am to 8 pm.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What is good to pick up on the dip today? Or do we think this is just the beginning of a bigger slide?

Have seen "experts" suggesting both buy the dip and a bigger slide. Inflation is going to go bonkers, it has already started. You can't just print trillions beyond even our normal debt and propose to print more trillions without an impact. The last thing the economy needs is stimulus.

Just anecdotal, but the residential real estate market has been shooting up across the country. Nintendo Switches were selling for 2x retail. Then PS5 and XBox Series X were. Usually new game consoles come with incentives to get somebody to buy them. Now? Can't make them fast enough. My $1200 rowing machine had a 5 month wait list before I could buy one. Apple sold 79.9 million iPhones in the last 3 months of 2020.

Reaction Score
Small / mid cap tech is getting hit pretty hard. I'm going 1/4 in incase it keeps sliding. Overall market is still at the top. Moving a lot of re-opening profit towards the tech dip. If the whole market slides will start to get back into re-opening. But remember the stimulus is still looming.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Have seen "experts" suggesting both buy the dip and a bigger slide. Inflation is going to go bonkers, it has already started. You can't just print trillions beyond even our normal debt and propose to print more trillions without an impact. The last thing the economy needs is stimulus.

Just anecdotal, but the residential real estate market has been shooting up across the country. Nintendo Switches were selling for 2x retail. Then PS5 and XBox Series X were. Usually new game consoles come with incentives to get somebody to buy them. Now? Can't make them fast enough. My $1200 rowing machine had a 5 month wait list before I could buy one. Apple sold 79.9 million iPhones in the last 3 months of 2020.

I’m glad the game I’m waiting for a next gen console is taking forever to develop.

I’ll finally be able to afford one when it’s over a year after the launch lol

Reaction Score
I am sitting on lots of cash and will absolutely buy the dip. ;) And yeah, I’m a long term investor not a trader. I do have some inflation hedges that did well today.
Likewise after selling quality albeit high fee mutual funds mid Jan to early Feb, some held since the 80s! Fared OK yesterday as majority LT holdings are reasonably balanced across industries, cap size, and globally, hedged with SPY and QQQ puts, and positioned late last year anticipating inflation and eventual return to somewhat normal-er lifestyles. Aside from security know enough about tech, pharma/bio and STEM to be dangerous, hence primarily let successful ETF mgrs navigate LT accounts.

Should the market tank considerably, in no hurry yet will buy in larger LT tax deferred accounts. Anticipate more frothy sell offs enabling good tech, hlth care, and other innovation opportunities.

Reaction Score
Like to eat? See current let alone projected grocery price inflation. Planning to travel (more) when lives ideally become somewhat normal-er? Etc.? Expect no rise in gas, aviation fuel, travel prices? See HuskyHawk’s inflation comments.

Reaction Score
Really surprised no one has acquired ozk yet. Then again their strength seems to be their management team so that may not help them as much.
OZK’s pock in the not quite big enough mid-size bank category, but primarily conveniently located in higher growth states. Be bought, or buy ???

Eventually, some US bank will buy HSBC’s unprofitable, declining US assets. Unlikely OZK, but out there to be taken at reasonable cost straight from HSBC’s HK-based CFO’s mouth.

the Q

Reaction Score
OZK’s pock in the not quite big enough mid-size bank category, but primarily conveniently located in higher growth states. Be bought, or buy ???

Eventually, some US bank will buy HSBC’s unprofitable, declining US assets. Unlikely OZK, but out there to be taken at reasonable cost straight from HSBC’s HK-based CFO’s mouth.

I was thinking that’s more of a USB purchase than an ozk.

But I never sleep on jpm or BLM buying assets. Seems like they own everything

Reaction Score
Avoided doctors and maybe even dentists (?) like the plague?

Back to somewhat more normal-er medical care possibilities: BSX, MDT, HSIC, SYK, ZBH, others?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Like to eat? See current let alone projected grocery price inflation. Planning to travel (more) when lives ideally become somewhat normal-er? Etc.? Expect no rise in gas, aviation fuel, travel prices? See HuskyHawk’s inflation comments.

I bought my wife a new car in December. Seemed like a good time. We are also doing some home renovation stuff, redid the deck in October, basement drop ceiling soon. Long wait for deck materials too. Corporate America is sitting on unprecedented amounts of cash. As long as interest rates stay this low, and there are no productive business investments available until Covid ends, money has no place to go except equities, commodities and crypto.

the Q

Reaction Score
I bought my wife a new car in December. Seemed like a good time. We are also doing some home renovation stuff, redid the deck in October, basement drop ceiling soon. Long wait for deck materials too. Corporate America is sitting on unprecedented amounts of cash. As long as interest rates stay this low, and there are no productive business investments available until Covid ends, money has no place to go except equities, commodities and crypto.

Would seem like a prime time to buy vertical integrations or a merger that increases assets without adding significant costs (like the mt/pbct acquisition)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Would seem like a prime time to buy vertical integrations or a merger that increases assets without adding significant costs (like the mt/pbct acquisition)

Sure. I think that activity is still available, but buying public companies now means paying a steep price most likely.

What I was getting at was the uncertainty. Is a restaurant or retail chain is going to build new stores right now? They may have just shut some. Are new malls going to be built? New hotels? Office space? Maybe in the burbs. If you are in construction of those kinds of places, are you buying a bunch of Kubota or Deere heavy equipment right now? Are airlines buying more planes? Car rental places buying new cars? These are guesses, I haven't done the research.

So there are piles of cash that are just sitting there. A lot of money was invested in tech to support work from home, new app based retail etc. But that's mostly done, and now they just wait.

It's really pretty wild. Today I bought PEP and NXRT. I am looking for ways to invest in growth in suburbs and small cities in the sunbelt. Lowes is on my radar. But I'm considering banks in Florida too.

the Q

Reaction Score
Sure. I think that activity is still available, but buying public companies now means paying a steep price most likely.

What I was getting at was the uncertainty. Is a restaurant or retail chain is going to build new stores right now? They may have just shut some. Are new malls going to be built? New hotels? Office space? Maybe in the burbs. If you are in construction of those kinds of places, are you buying a bunch of Kubota or Deere heavy equipment right now? Are airlines buying more planes? Car rental places buying new cars? These are guesses, I haven't done the research.

So there are piles of cash that are just sitting there. A lot of money was invested in tech to support work from home, new app based retail etc. But that's mostly done, and now they just wait.

It's really pretty wild. Today I bought PEP and NXRT. I am looking for ways to invest in growth in suburbs and small cities in the sunbelt. Lowes is on my radar. But I'm considering banks in Florida too.

I’m looking at CTO, a sun belt reit based in Florida

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom