OT: Stock trading | Page 124 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This pbct/mt merger is interesting.

Not sure I’m thrilled with it since I was all in for pbct’s recovery at under 11 per share

Reaction Score
This pbct/mt merger is interesting.

Not sure I’m thrilled with it since I was all in for pbct’s recovery at under 11 per share

man, I had only like 14 shares but also under 11. Sold it
.118 shares of M&T for every PBCT
woulda gotten me 1.65 shares of a
4.34/2.89%

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With FAA direction, BA recommended airlines pull 777s with P&W 4000 engines for inspections. Undoubtedly, RTX and BA will be impacted at least ST. GE, possibly by people with limited knowledge?

Unless the following Reuters article is dead wrong, only UA, JAL, ANA and KA were flying 777s with P&W 4000 engines. The FAA directed UA to pull such 777s to further inspect those specific engines, particularly the titanium alloy engine blades after Sat’s and prior incidents (US 2018 and JP 2020).

Japan’s FAA halted any related flights. Minimally, KA halted any 777s with the P&W 4000s from flying to Japan. The 2nd linked Aeroassurance article provides insights on a possibly similar UA/P&W 2018 incident and resulting NTSB investigation.

I will add, being an NDI inspector is a great gig for job security going forward across so many sectors and industries.

Reaction Score
Re-opening stocks are having a day. Is the flippening starting or just prospects of the stimulus getting closer? Will there be another bounce back for tech or will money permanently flow into re-opening and restore balance?

We're finally handling the vaccination rollout like adults and most of the vulnerable community will be vaccinated soon. Spring is right around the corner and people are restless.

TLDR: Should I throw my airline profit at the TSLA dip?

the Q

Reaction Score
man, I had only like 14 shares but also under 11. Sold it
.118 shares of M&T for every PBCT
woulda gotten me 1.65 shares of a
4.34/2.89%

Yeah. I need to hold for a while this year to get the one year mark and thus long term cap gains. But that yield is pretty sad for a bank.

Reaction Score
I will add, being an NDI inspector is a great gig for job security going forward across so many sectors and industries.
Upon further review:
  • BA up 1% (no action, $120 avg long hold)
  • UAL up 7% (hold none of UAL's financially challenged cluster puck, but it's been swept up with today's return to somewhat normal-er lives airline increases).
  • Despite reports of the P&W 4000 engine's titanium alloy fan blades being challenging to inspect, ponder whether UAL could possibly have no responsibility a la the most recent Indonesia crash's pilot puck up ???).
  • RTX currently flat (no action, hold $60 long hold), but wonder how RTX won't be impacted by the weekend's 2 separate P&W 4000 engine blow outs (Denver 777, and Netherlands 747 cargo jet) ???
  • P&W's reported last 4000 engine was manufactured in 2013. 17+ year old engines? No new sales?
Meanwhile, ALK at $24, AAL at $11, and GE at $8 avgs make for a happier Big Eskimo Dog.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Getting clobbered today. Tech getting slaughtered. GLD, oil stocks and a few others doing ok.

The inflation numbers look absolutely ominous, which is not surprising.

Reaction Score
Getting clobbered today. Tech getting slaughtered. GLD, oil stocks and a few others doing ok.

The inflation numbers look absolutely ominous, which is not surprising.
I thought I warned you two months ago in the cesspool not to keep all your apples in the tech basket?

Reaction Score
This pbct/mt merger is interesting. Not sure I’m thrilled with it since I was all in for pbct’s recovery at under 11 per share
M&T buying PBCT represents further evidence mid-sized US banks recognize need to either expand or to become less competitive with the largest mid-size banks and big 4 US banks. Other similar mergers: BB&T+Suntrust=Truist, PNC buys BBVA US ops, HBAN-TCF, etc.

On the surface, Buffalo-based M&T buyout appears positive for PBCT shareholders selling on the announcement. Potentially, not as good for PBCT employees nor the Park City unless M&T opts to keep some PBCT businesses in Bridgeport. Or, shifts M&T work from lower-cost Buffalo to CT. ???

M&T reports: "As part of the transaction, People's United's current headquarters in Bridgeport, Connecticut will (MY EDIT: initially) become the New England regional headquarters for M&T, further strengthening the combined company's commitment to Connecticut and the region."
M&T Bank Corporation Announces Agreement to Acquire People's United Financial, Inc.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Upon further review:
  • BA up 1% (no action, $120 avg long hold)
  • UAL up 7% (hold none of UAL's financially challenged cluster puck, but it's been swept up with today's return to somewhat normal-er lives airline increases).
  • Despite reports of the P&W 4000 engine's titanium alloy fan blades being challenging to inspect, ponder whether UAL could possibly have no responsibility a la the most recent Indonesia crash's pilot puck up ???).
  • RTX currently flat (no action, hold $60 long hold), but wonder how RTX won't be impacted by the weekend's 2 separate P&W 4000 engine blow outs (Denver 777, and Netherlands 747 cargo jet) ???
  • P&W's reported last 4000 engine occurred in 2013. No new sales?
Meanwhile, ALK at $24, AAL at $11, and GE at $8 avgs make for a happier Big Eskimo Dog.

RTX should be on the one getting hammered.

Boeing should be fine. The 777 with GE engines have reported no issues. United should be fine. Other airlines with the 777 and the GE engines are doing fine.

Meanwhile, Pratt has had more than one of these engines shred. England just banned jets with these engines from British air space.

Reaction Score
Long frothy NIO, XPEV, and less so LI reached more reasonable buy points today; still like BYDDY more than others yet it needs to drop more first. Added some LI and a very little bit of XPEV today. Watch they'll all tank, but not down to current avg SP

Reaction Score
RTX should be the one getting hammered. Meanwhile, Pratt has had more than one of these engines shred. England just banned jets with these engines from British air space.
In a single weekend (this past weekend), 2 P&W 4000 engine flatulenc-ing is a accomplishment. Possibly the only less than negative considerations are P&W may have stopped selling some version of the 4000 engines in 2013, and Reuters reported the only passenger jets with the engines are flown by UAL, JAL, ANA, and KA. Both references could be dead wrong; just sharing what I read and heard.

Reaction Score
RTX should be on the one getting hammered.

Boeing should be fine. The 777 with GE engines have reported no issues. United should be fine. Other airlines with the 777 and the GE engines are doing fine.

Meanwhile, Pratt has had more than one of these engines shred. England just banned jets with these engines from British air space.
To me the question is what does airline travel look like 1 and 2yrs from now? Certainly leisure/rec travel will spike up for some period - but will there be a long-term trend there that offsets what I and most think will be a permanent reduction in business travel? What's the implication for the airlines and airline manufacturing?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To me the question is what does airline travel look like 1 and 2yrs from now? Certainly leisure/rec travel will spike up for some period - but will there be a long-term trend there that offsets what I and most think will be a permanent reduction in business travel? What's the implication for the airlines and airline manufacturing?

Business travel is never coming back to what it was. Businesses have already seen that it isn't necessary and invested in video conferencing. There will still be meetings, but far fewer. I doubt we see folks flying from A to B for a one hour meeting again. That was always stupid. You can add the general pressure to cut carbon footprints to the math.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I thought I warned you two months ago in the cesspool not to keep all your apples in the tech basket?

My eggs aren't all in that basket. And the gains of the last two months were substantial. I buy what I know.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
@tiger8mush Do I even have to say it again? Wow! 15% today!! And I scooped up more shares at open this morning. At this rate, we hit 100 by the time I'm sitting on a beach. I hope some here have been paying attention to our RFL chatter.

Reaction Score
Good shout. Do you know of any managed ones that are promising?
@Matrim55 Not Jaker, but searched and never identified a promising US-focused, managed (non-index) general materials ETF. Just went with XLB as a complement to materials equities and specific minerals ETFs held (soft and industrial). Considered iShares global-oriented MXI, but found enough MXI holdings were already held directly or in ETFs. It'd be good if someone else identifies an ETF with a good track record matching your target.

Reaction Score
My eggs aren't all in that basket. And the gains of the last two months were substantial. I buy what I know.
And if you're a long term holder like I am then tech is still the way to go. Stock prices aren't linear. You're going to have dips along the way but over time you will do well. Stay the course. As a matter of fact buy more of what you like on the dips.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And if you're a long term holder like I am then tech is still the way to go. Stock prices aren't linear. You're going to have dips along the way but over time you will do well. Stay the course. As a matter of fact buy more of what you like on the dips.

I am sitting on lots of cash and will absolutely buy the dip. ;) And yeah, I’m a long term investor not a trader. I do have some inflation hedges that did well today.

the Q

Reaction Score
M&T buying PBCT represents further evidence mid-sized US banks recognize need to either expand or to become less competitive with the largest mid-size banks and big 4 US banks. Other similar mergers: BB&T+Suntrust=Truist, PNC buys BBVA US ops, HBAN-TCF, etc.

On the surface, Buffalo-based M&T buyout appears positive for PBCT shareholders selling on the announcement. Potentially, not as good for PBCT employees nor the Park City unless M&T opts to keep some PBCT businesses in Bridgeport. Or, shifts M&T work from lower-cost Buffalo to CT. ???

M&T reports: "As part of the transaction, People's United's current headquarters in Bridgeport, Connecticut will (MY EDIT: initially) become the New England regional headquarters for M&T, further strengthening the combined company's commitment to Connecticut and the region."
M&T Bank Corporation Announces Agreement to Acquire People's United Financial, Inc.

Really surprised no one has acquired ozk yet. Then again their strength seems to be their management team so that may not help them as much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Definitely going to be less overall. Meeting for the sake of having everyone to be in same room to discuss anything will be greatly reduced.

OTOH, there are areas that still require human presence to observe or to pass on information.

I did less travel last year than any year going back to 2005.

Started picking up last fall. I'm heading out later this week on my fifth business trip since October. Four different states covering all four corners of the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom