OT: Stock trading | Page 117 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I was looking at the other stock thread which seemed centered around crypto. seems with congress going blue
there is even more momentum in this sector - thoughts?
Eh, we’ll see. Nothing happens until the big players say so. Watch, I believe it’s called, Banking on Bitcoin to see how they rigged the system in their favor.

I know Governments are using illegal use of crypto to crack down on it which is bs.

Do you have any specific questions?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If it becomes legalized, what impact do you anticipate?
Depends on what society says. I think some places will be more liberal with it and others won’t allow it in their town. I also think big players are positioning themselves to corner the market. I think it will be too regulated and taxes forcing people to continue to buy underground

Reaction Score
IPOC is clover health right? which is a medicare advantage clone?

I got some IPOB late which will be $OPEN starting Monday. See what happens with this one. Any one already using Opendoor for real estate?

OPEN finally moving
TRCH up 20% today

Reaction Score
OPEN finally moving
TRCH up 20% today

I've considered buying Opendoor recently and I think it will do well but I own Redfin which is in the same space. Its up 220% in the 8 months I've owned it. I think these companies are going to seriously disrupt the residential real estate market.

If I was selling my house today I would look at both these companies without a doubt. Thousands to tens of thousands in savings with the same or better service, easier transactions and the option of i-buying.

Reaction Score
If I was selling my house today I would look at both these companies without a doubt. Thousands to tens of thousands in savings with the same or better service, easier transactions and the option of i-buying.
Perceived savings & convenience, but both companies also toss out inexplicably low ball offers which are non-competitive even if paying agent, inspection, etc fees in our homes current markets. If we were selling, we know the similar home values being sold in a day with multiple bids above asking prices with limited to no inspections. For sellers, Redfin and OpenDoor likely make more sense in other areas and times.

Reaction Score
Perceived savings & convenience, but both companies also toss out inexplicably low ball offers which are non-competitive even if paying agent, inspection, etc fees in our homes current markets. If we were selling, we know the similar home values being sold in a day with multiple bids above asking prices with limited to no inspections. For sellers, Redfin and OpenDoor likely make more sense in other areas and times.
If I were buying I'd expect a discount on homes not listed with a 'market' local brokerage company and likewise if buying or selling would expect a premium for a major listing firm/agency. So the question on the selling side is can the agent you choose earn that big commission (its insane that commissions are still 6% here as prices skyrocket) or can you bargain with them using the internet listing sites as leverage? I'm not following at all, but I'd bet where I live in suburbs of Boston 90% of sales are conventional brokers & they are getting a 10% premium plus likely selling 99% of homes over say $600K.

Home buying & selling is pretty emotional & complicated so I see a utility for brokers on both sides. However if I was an agent I'd be independent, use one of the online firms and charge half of what the brokerage companies do (the 'house' averages 50% of fees from their agents depending on experience). Will the best agents start selling with that type of hybrid model?

Reaction Score
Perceived savings & convenience,
Honest question, how do you perceive the savings as being perceived? In the case of Redfin, they charge less and get competitive prices for the homes they sell (I can't remember where I saw the numbers but they were actually averaging a slightly higher selling price). This did not include i-buying where you would expect to perhaps get a lower price in lieu of paying all the fees. If the savings and convenience are not real why are these companies growing by leaps and bounds? Again, honest question. I really think in a period of 5-10 years things are going to change a lot.

Reaction Score
Honest question, how do you perceive the savings as being perceived?.
Simple math. At current home prices, neighbors put 4 houses on the market, 2 paid 6% traditional agent fees in 2 cases, paid inspectors, 1 sold by owner, 1 with lower fee minimal service broker, and each received multiple bids above asking prices and still netted markedly more than the Redfin and OpenDoor low ball quotes received in the last 3 weeks. Done. All things are not equal for all sales.

Both companies serve a purpose and will likely continue changing traditional RE sales/buys, but their offer data is not perfect. Simple math.

Reaction Score
Simple math. At current home prices, neighbors put 4 houses on the market, 2 paid 6% traditional agent fees in 2 cases, paid inspectors, 1 sold by owner, 1 with lower fee minimal service broker, and each received multiple bids above asking prices and still netted markedly more than the Redfin and OpenDoor low ball quotes received in the last 3 weeks. Done. All things are not equal for all sales.

Both companies serve a purpose and will likely continue changing traditional RE sales/buys, but their offer data is not perfect. Simple math.
Got it but I think I was talking about it from a different perspective. I wasn't comparing Opendoor or Redfin's I-buying quotes to a traditional agent sale. I would certainly expect those quotes to be lower because they have to turn around and sell the house and make money doing so.

With Redfin you can also have them sell it in a traditional fashion albeit with lower fees and they handle the inspections etc... to make things easier. The data I saw and again, I don't recall the source (and maybe it was Redfin #'s which could be biased), showed that in apples to apples situations, Redfin achieved a higher sales price than traditional agents. Also, in regards to higher priced homes, Redfin's activity with $1M+ homes grew 30% year over year. I like Redfin in this space because they offer many options from I-buying to traditional sales. One aspect where I have some concern is that their agents are on salary versus commission. I want to understand what their motivation is to achieve a higher sales price (although it appears as if it is happening).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Got a coworker who has been playing the penny stocks pretty hard.

He's pumping up HCMC as a breakout from pennies up to $3/share.

Anyone hear anything on this beyond Google search?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Got a coworker who has been playing the penny stocks pretty hard.

He's pumping up HCMC as a breakout from pennies up to $3/share.

Anyone hear anything on this beyond Google search?
Right now they're embroiled in a lawsuit vs. Philip Morris. Most expect PM to settle. Once that happens, the price/share of HCMC should skyrocket.

Yahoo put a price target of $6. I grabbed myself half-a-million shares for fun, but IMO this all smells like the mother of all pump-and-dumps.

Reaction Score
So today I sold off a bunch of stuff to eliminate margin. Had the enjoyment of pulling my remaining investment out and leaving in just my profits over past 11 months, what a relief. Of course in the process I sold off 60% of DMTK which then proceeded to go up 16 after hours! Haha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom